Chapter 1

Fate and Faith
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hey! Thanks for deciding to read this, and just a little bit of context other than the rainy picture- the starting point of the story is in 2012. 

Faith’s POV

It was one of those days again, where you hope someone will walk through the doors of this worn down orphanage located an hour’s drive away from Seoul, telling you that tonight you’ll suddenly have a family and you can sleep in peace. And someone did walk into our worn down orphanage saying that tonight, you’ll meet your new family- but it wasn’t for my ears.

As a 13 year old, I’m already out of the competition, every family that comes by want a child that is young and cute, and after all these years, I’ve come to realise that I’ll never fit that criteria.

As if nothing can get worse, a storm erupts, thunder causing the 6 other children to scream and scurry off into our leaking, dark bedroom. I couldn’t seem to understand why our orphanage is still in use with only the 3 sisters looking after us, they look like they should’ve retired years ago- at least that was what I thought back then. My thoughts seem to predict the future, as the day after the cold night we were told to pack whatever belongings we had, not that I had much. Why? Because the only thing closest to a home we’ve known for years can’t hold us anymore.

I took one last look at the water-stained walls that I’ve become so use to staring at during those sleepless nights before heading out with the proof of my birth year, my birthday present of a watch and 4 dollars of change.

“I’m so sorry sweeties” Sister Hazel said, “but we can’t keep this place running anymore… I’m sorry that it had to be in the beginning of winter.” We all tried to keep our tears in but failed to do so. As much the 7 of us hated this place, it was only here that showed us some kind of warmth when our birth parents decided that we weren’t worth anything to them.

“Faith” I looked up as my name was called out, “you’re the oldest here, please look after the younger ones”

“O-o-okay, bu-“, I wish I had to chance to ask where we could find them again but I was cut off.

“Come now, we have to drop you off the furthest we can get you to the next town.”

We had a short car trip in a big van driver by an old man maybe in his mid-50s, we arrived at a small village each one of us getting off the van in turns. We murmured our last goodbyes, exchanging teary glances, and cried for a good 10 minutes while staring at the direction which the van headed off in. I wanted to stay there, just on the road but I knew I had to look after the smaller ones.

“Julie, Mark, Sukjin, Wonbin, Ben and Eunsung, let’s see if anyone is willing to take you guys in” I held their small hands tightly, Ben the youngest only 5 and Eunsung the second youngest, 6 as we crossed the road to the first house.

By the end of the night, I convinced 2 families living together to take in Eunsung, Sukjin and Julie. I told them that we’re gunna have to leave to go to another village only to be told by the families that the only place we can go to is the one town closest to Seoul, a 39 km walk.

“Here, I’m sorry we couldn’t take all of you in…please take this backpack” I bowed and thanked the Lee family, opening to backpack to see packs of sweet bread and bottles of water- No wonder it was this heavy I thought while my arm adjusts to the weight. The kind mum gave us all a change of clothes, and said we could stay the night in their living room.

When morning came, I gave the 3 little ones a last hug saying,

“I promise, I’ll come back for you one day. Once all of us gets settled I’ll call you guys.” I asked for their home number, and prayed and prayed that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter