First Blossom

Les Fleurs du Mal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She had flowers braided in her hair and laughter roaring in her chest as the swing lifted her higher and higher towards the sky while the maid was glaring at whomever dared even look in their direction.

“Little lady, please come down, people are staring!” The maid kept insisting, both annoyed and ashamed with her young mistress’s behavior. “Only commoners use this swing. What would your father say if he heard of this?”

“He would want to get on this as well,”  the girl laughed out loud. It was a sweet laughter, young and innocent, the type of laughter that can conquer stone hearts. “Oh, nana, please stop worrying so much! Everyone is busy enjoying this nice weather. Who would even spare me a look?”

The maid had to sigh and give in, for who was she to not trust the young mistress when she was so smart that even her father sought advice from her? And still she couldn’t keep her heart still and felt restless a couple of meters away from the swig. It felt as if… as if someone was watching them closely.

››۝‹‹

He was just passing by through the small town, looking for a place to crash for the night in his way towards the capital city. He was worn out from the battles at the borders and his eyes saw nothing of the nature’s awakening around him. His eyes saw blood. And soldiers dying of starvation. And their torn flag still moving in the wind, victoriously.

He had to stop and rest for a day before taking the road towards the capital to meet the king. His horse needed it, his right hand man needed too, so he sent his men to find a nice, quiet inn to pull for the night while he stopped at the bottom of this green hill, allowing his ears to catch on the young thrill of the birds while the sun shyly warmed his skin.

“What a beautiful day to be alive,” he smiled, eyes closed. He even dismounted, allowing his horse to move freely as he took the stone steps upwards the hill. There was a tree and he could swear he saw a red flag fluttering in the wind. But before he could reach the top, he saw the true incarnation of what he thought was a Maiden of Heaven on a swing that seemed to come down from the skies. And she was so beautiful, radiant with white flowers in her braided hair that reached her waist. She was wearing a red silky gown with a write top embroidered with shimmery flowers. And she was barefooted, laughing in the wind.

“Is she even real?” He whispered with fascination when his right hand man stopped right behind him. “Would I scared her away into disappearing if I’d go to her?”

“Looking like you do, more than surely,” his friend mocked him.

“Ah, why do I have to serve my country and bleed but not conquer the heart of a maiden?! I want to talk to her,” he added with a whisper, his eyes returning to the face that seemed to shine in the shadow of the old oak.

“I don’t think that would be a good idea, commander.”

“Why so?”

“She has a nana with her. Only nobility affords to have a nana. I think she might be out of your league.”

“Why you little –”

“May I help you, young master?” The old woman whom seemed to accompany that godly being approached them with murderous looks hidden in her dark coloured eyes. Her posture was polite, but he swore he saw sparks flying from her eyes. “Are you perhaps lost?”

“Nana, who are you talking to?”

“No one, my lady! You don’t look like you’re from around here, young master,” she then turned to him, only her ears listening to the young lady.

“Do you even know whom you’re talking to, woman?!” The older man spoke for the commander, his upbringing quickly seeing through the politeness. She was straighforwardly dismissing their presence!

“Nana?” The young lady appeared quietly by the woman’s side, making her shriek and the men step backwards. But while the older one looked down quickly, the younger one looked straight at her, like a blind man looks at the sun when they see it for the first time. “Oh, I didn’t mean to interrupt,” she quickly shied away from them.

“Wait! Please…” The young man got to make a couple of steps forward before being stopped by her nana. “I’m… would I be able to meet you later?” His voice beamed with the same devotion she only heard in the voices of the Buddhist monks. And because she had her back him, she allowed herself a small smile. A man! A man wearing a hunting grown wished to see her later on!

“You will have to meet my father first,” she spoke steadily. “Nana, please give this to the young master,” she plucked out a flower from her hair and gave it to the woman. “Please come for tea where the white magnolia trees grow.”

And she left him with that.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter