Second Blossom

Les Fleurs du Mal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Spring in it’s core is a celebration of life and continuity, of ephemeral equilibrium and beauty. It’s the season when life fails to show us the dark side because the light is too bright for our poor eyes,” Mr. Hwang wrote on a blank piece of paper that was going to be hung in their prayer tree. “But even if it’s our darkest hour, we want to believe in this power of serene beauty as we continue to remember you.” His brush didn’t tremble as his perfect calligraphy left dark trails on the white surface, like the depths of the ocean when its waves break on the surface.

It was the commemoration of his darling wife who had departed and left him with such sorrow he had to bury deep inside his heart as they were celebrating his daughter’s birthday at the same time. Inside his chamber he was allowed to feel as he lain down his most secret thoughts and longing for the woman who had left him behind, while outside life was being celebrated with Sunji’s sixteen birthday.

Inside her room, she was allowed to feel as well: the instability of her feelings, the desire and impatience of her young heart, everything she was keeping hidden from the world while waiting for her most precious guest to arrive just like he had done for the past two years. Inside her room she was allowed to strum the two chords of her violin with sorrow as she knew a day goes by like birds’ flight when you’re with the ones you love. And when the next one comes she’ll have to say goodbye yet again.

“Our daughter is sad,” Mr. Hwang whispered, his fingers hesitating above the paper. To choose between what was long gone and something that was still growing delicately next to him – he was breaking. With slow moves he hid his heart and left it behind with the brush stained with ink before stepping outside and heading for his daughter’s room. “Sunji? May I come in?”

“Of course, father,” quickly raised on her feet to allow her father to sit in her place.

Filled with sunshine, the room was sparkling with life, vibrating with Sunji’s impatience. So he smiled.

“I know my daughter is waiting for her knight to come and take her away from here, but I never expected to see her sad on such a jolly day,” Mr. Hwang turned his dark coloured eyes on his daughter who looked more and more with his departed wife.

“I’m always side on my birthday, father,” she revealed with a mellow voice. She was outside herself looking in. “We both lost mother sixteen years ago and although I’ve never met her, I miss her dearly. It’s like something’s missing from inside here,” her hand gently patted the chest of her new pink blouse. “And today, no matter how many hellos I say, it’s always goodbye once the sun sets. That person seems to always be on his way here only to take it from the beginning once he reaches his destination. And I wait and wait and wither of longing.”

“You will, one day, be the wife of a high ranked military. What you’re experiencing now is only the prelude of a life wasted in waiting.”

“I know. I’m prepared for that. However it’s days like this one when I know he’ll be here that make me sadder than yesterday when I was still not at the end of my waiting. Silly, am I not?” She smiled away her tears that she knew would break her father heart.

Mr. Hwang’s eyes fell on the violin leaning against the book case. “I heard a new tune today. Will you play for your old father?”

Her eyes sparkled only for a second before taking the instrument from her father’s hands. And the passion that was boiling inside her heart soon poured over the strings, making the air vibrating and the birds’ song fade compared to the sweetness born from her touch.

“The season is in full bloom and your scent is lingering here,” she sang, quietly, mournfully, “midnight petals scatter all around this heart while all I do is wait… Will you come this time as well?” Her bow hesitated longingly, sweetening her poem-like song.

“Master Nam is here, young lady,” Nana’s voice broke the spell inside the room and the sorrow inside Sunji’s heart as well.

››۝‹‹

After hours of being separated by the guests that kept pouring in through the widely open gates, the couple was finally able to discreetly slip away into the garden where the fragrance of the blossomed magnolias was sweetening the air. She was walking ahead of him, leaving behind the custom and keeping the heart strongly guarded. This time she wasn’t going to give in so easily – that was her promise to herself.

“I’m late, am I not?” Taehyun’s hand caught her’s as she reached for a lonely white flower. “I actually thought thoroughly if I should return,” he continued almost whispering while looking at her delicate hand in his. “Although I’ve put my life in the service of this country, even if the king is my master, my heart recognizes none of what the mind knows and always hurries me to return to your side. I rode like a madman so I could tell you these words,” he finally looked at her. Her eyes were scared, her heart was near the breaking point. “I’m old, Sunji,” Taehyun’s hand squeezed her a bit too hard, as if afraid she would slip away like a dream, “I’m old and I have a job that requires a lot of sacrifice. I already know I’m a dead man walking. Having you damned to such a life – I’m greedy, Sunji,” he let go of her with a bitter smile and turned his back on her. He was afraid of this weakness of his, afraid of the power she had over him. And yet he couldn’t stop the words leaving his mouth. “I want you to be tied to me, damned just like I am. I want to go and know that when I return you’d be there, waiting. I want to hear your laughter everywhere I go and later on, I want to see your face in our children’s faces. I want all of that. I want you to want me just as much as I wanted you when I first saw you,” he admitted out loud his thoughts while spinning around to face her.

Sunji was playing with the flower, twisting it around her fingers gently. She was listening attentively to the silence that had set between them while slowly putting the flower in her hair. Much aware he was following her, she shyly raised her eyes to read his. But there was too much in there for her too fully understand, so she looked away a bit terrified and wondering if she indeed wanted him that badly.

“Will you be my wife, Sunji?” Taehyun insisted, once again taking her hand into his.

“What took you so long to come?” Her whisper was only louder than the beating of his heart.

››۝‹‹

Father and daughter were admiring the starry sky, ignoring the chilly, perfumed breeze that was blowing, moving the trees into a strange dance.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter