The Sun Drowned by the Moon

Les Fleurs du Mal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At times her fingers were working so fast that Jungkook was frowning at her frenzy, questioning the mind behind them and its reasoning. But there were also times when her hands would pull everything down from the wooden mannequin, tear the silk and the embroidery she had sown herself only to burst into tears seconds later and run for the cover of the garden behind the house.

She’d run away only to return after a couple of hours with snow drops adorning her hair and dress. And she’d pick up the needle and thread and start all over again. And all her friends could do was to worry and stay silent as she was losing weight and growing dark circles under her eyes.

“Where is our young lady? Out in the garden again?” Hoseok greeted the bodyguard who was sitting with his eyes closed and legs crossed under him.

“I wish! She must have snuck out while I was out hunting and now she’s nowhere to be found,” Jungkook opened his eyes, revealing an angry look which was mixed with just enough fear to make him look fanatic.

“Oh, don’t worry! I’m sure she’s fine!” The young merchant sat next to him and smiled. “The sun is still high up in the sky and the air is just sweet enough to help one clear its head. Give her some time, Jungkook. Her work isn’t easy. Has she torn down this one as well?”

Jungkook just sighed. “No, but she didn’t look very happy when I last saw her. It won’t be long till this one will be thrown out as well. I think this is too much for her. She should stop. We should stop her!”

“And then what? Become food for that wolf of a minister?! No, no, my friend, we’ve joined their game and now we have to play,” Hoseok looked at the well kept yard and the two maids putting flowers in the white vases at the corners of the house. Something was off. “Why is everything becoming so… pretty around here? What’s going on?”

“I don’t know. Things keep on appearing each day,” the bodyguard shrugged.

“And you didn’t care to ask where from?!” Hoseok jumped on two and hurried to the closest vase. It was a simple one with an ink painting of cherry flowers. “This is one of the most expensive vases out there. Hey, you,” he called out to one of the maids, “who brought this in?”

“Y-Young lady brought them after one of walks,” the girl bowed in surprise.

“I haven’t seen her coming in with anything,” Jungkook frowned when Hoseok looked at him questioningly.

The merchant knew only one craftsman who was capable of creating such delicate beauties… But just as he was about to voice out his thoughts he caught on Sunji’s delicate figure stepping through the gates with a troubled expression. She was so lost in thought that she didn’t notice the servants bowing or the two of them staring at her. At least not until she took off her shoes to step on the porch, nearly crashing into him.

“Hoseok! I wasn’t expecting you!” She quickly shook of her frown and managed to show him a smile.

“I’m just dropping by to see how things are going and to tell you that the new silk will be here tomorrow,” his hands continued to arrange the flowers in the vase. “I hope I’m not interrupting your work.”

“Not at all,” she quickly glanced at Jungkook who looked away. “How about some tea? I’m sure you’re tired from your trip here.”

“That’s be lovely, thank you!”

››۝‹‹

The tea grew cold in her cup as she looked lost in the distance.

“Maybe this project is a bit too much for our young lady?” Hoseok finally said, breaking the silence and making Sunji look at him. “It worns you out. I heard you’ve stopped eating properly although there’s enough food in the house and your sleep is disturbed by troubling dreams. Maybe we should back out of this whole thing?” He asked innocently, however unable to hide his slyness from his eyes, which was quickly caught on by Sunji.

“Thank you for your concern, Master Jung, but I’m doing well. It is only normal that I have some concerns regarding my designs, but that’s all,” she spoke coldly which made Jungkook frown and the merchant laugh.

“Then everything’s good. I trust your words and shall not worry from here onwards. Heard her, Jungkook? Nothing to worry about!”

“I hear her and worry even more,” Jungkook finally snapped. “You are not fine! You’re far from being fine! You’re not eating or sleeping and everything you create by day you ruin by night! That only proves you’re not fine! I think we should just walk away from this!”

“We can’t,” she whispered.

“Why not? We can just run away if it’s that serious!”

“Because everything’s done,” she revealed. And after a second of silence in which they stared at her surprised, she stood up from her place. “Come, I’ll show you.”

Sunji walked inside the house an guided them not towards her atelier or her room, but towards the wing of the house where her father’s chambers were under heavy locks. She quickly pulled out the key and unlocked the doors before stepping inside the dim illuminated corridor. And she led them further towards the heart of that part of the house until finally arrived to what used to be her father’s bedroom.

“This is it,” Sunji looked at them with scared eyes before opening the door and revealing the inside of the room.

The room itself held no furniture of any kind. But in the middle of it there was a mannequin wearing stretched out robes. There were three and each of a different colour: the undergarment was of ivory silk  with golden hems and tiny droplets of gold embroidered on the shoulders, its collar of the purest white; the second layer was pure black, thicker and yet just as soft as the previous one. Its sleeves were tight around the wrists and a double, black suede  sleeve was created specially to be worn on top, tied up to the elbow with intertwining golden lace. This garment was simple, except for some golden lines that left from the center of the chest going outwards.

“What is that made of?” Hoseok blinked while he looked at the top layer, without daring to touch it.

“It’s a see through veil that I painted myself in red,” Sunji revealed, touching it gently. It had no sleeves and its purpose was pure ornamental and yet it gave more effect to the whole picture, the dragon embroidered on its chest looking as if it was flying towards the person in front it thanks to the rays embroidered on the black robe underneath. “I made the collar out of silk because I wanted a lighter shade of red,” she explained while retreating in front of her own creation as if afraid or lost in admiration.

“If it’s done why were you so lost all this time? This is amazing!” Jungkook could only whisper in front of the robes as if the king spirit was already in the room.

“Because we are going to have a guest soon. Prepare yourselves,” she finally disclosed her secret before walking out feeling drained and tired to the bone. And as she walked away from the king’s new robes, she wondered if it was all worth.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter