Silent Breeze

Les Fleurs du Mal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunji was sitting in between her two companions, enduring without fear the direct stare of the prime-minister. She was still, smiling gently while returning the same curious stare without knowing that the men who came with her started admiring her even more for being able to keep the silence imposed by the owner of the house.

“So this is the famous Hwang tailor,” the host finally said, his eyes finally leaving hers and looking at all of them. “Had I known she’s such a beauty I would have never dared call her from such a far away place. I would have gone running!” He smiled jokingly. “I hope your journey was at least enjoyable.”

“My eyes got to feast of the beauty of this part of the country, so I could never complain about the distance,” Sunji replied with the same gentle smile. “I was more than honored when I received your invitation. Had I not, my eyes would have probably never been able to see the capital for themselves, so I’m deeply grateful to you, Sir.”

“Ah, don’t mention it, please! I did it because I’m a egoistic man who’s fascinated with your creations,” the prime-minister smiled contented to have in front of him a woman who knew how to converse so well despite her roots.

“You are more than kind, Sir,” Sunji bowed politely, “but I would’ve never succeeded without the help of young master Jung here,” she added knowing it was time she introduced the two men. “Or without the patience and faith of my right hand, Jeon Jungkook.”

The prime-minister’s eyes looked at them carefully, pondering just how important were they for the plan he had for the woman in front of him. But seeing the look in her eyes he quickly figured out that she would never accept anything that wasn’t going to involve the other two as well.

“It’s impressive to see such loyalty at such age,” he then said, sipping from his tea while thinking fast, adjusting his plan.

“Isn’t loyalty an inborn feeling? Why should age matter?” Sunji replied with the same smile while her suspicion only grew. She was sure he had some sort of plan in his mind, a plan which involved her more definitely. “Jungkook,” she then said, “please take master Jung and bring in the present we brought for prime-minister Kim. It wouldn’t be nice if he thinks we came empty handed into his house.”

“I understand,” Jungkook jumped on his feet immediately and left the room closely followed by the young merchant.

Left alone in the room, Sunji looked the man in front of her in the eyes with youth’s straight forwardness overflowing from them.

“Will you allow me to be talk freely?” She then said, placing the cup on the delicate plate that looked like a flower petal.

“Please,” he invited her amused by her direct manner and curious at the same time.

“I would like to know what plan you have with me, Sir. It’s pretty obvious that your invitation has some sort of purpose other than a simple courtesy visit. Yes, my designs gained huge popularity in a very short time, however, I am a woman and there are dozens of male tailors that I’m sure, have impressed with their talent. So I can only think that I am a part of a plan,” she ended, still looking the man in the eyes, although concerned her direct manner might have insulted him. But she knew no other way of finding out what was actually going on without wasting time.

Much to her surprise, the prime-minister smiled. “I have to admit, Miss, you are as delightful as I heard from my men. I have to bow to you for that!” He bent his head slightly in respect. “Yes, I do have a plan, but would you agree with me me to call it wish rather than plan, since plan sounds more like I’m plotting something?”

“Wish?” Sunji frowned a bit confused.

“Yes, wish. And a simple one nonetheless. Would you please hear my wish and promise to think before refusing?”

She pondered for a second. Those were murky waters she was dipping her feet in and who knew what monsters swam in its depths?

“I would be more than honored to hear what your wish is, Sir.”

But still, taking no chances would mean to never reach her goal to storm over the palace.

“With your talent and good taste I strongly believe it’s nothing…”

And she listened for a long time, mostly frowning. She listened until the man was done talking and silence set in the room while they stared at each other.

“Will you do me this favour?”

“I thought it was a wish,” she smiled, the frown disappearing from her face which revealed nothing of her troubled mind.

“Wish, favour, call it as you may. What is important here is your answer.”

Sunji’s foot was drawing out the prey underneath the waters. “I will need some time to think. Not because I wouldn’t be up to the task but because it’s a delicate matter that should be dealt with appropriate manners. I will send you word with the full moon,” she added while standing up from her place. “Now if you don’t mind, I would like to see more of this wonderful place before heading back.”

The prime-minister showed her out and even bowed to her deeply as she disappeared inside her palanquin, much to the surprise of his wife and servants, who quickly dropped to the ground as if they had royalty waking among them.

“Will she do it, Sir?” His wife sought to know as they entered his chambers to discuss.

He was in deep thought. He didn’t expect her to see through him so clearly like she did, nor did he expected her to behave in that way, as if indeed she was doing him a favour and not the other way around. She was but a seamstress and yet she was leaving him to boil like that!

“It’s the first time I can’t read through a person’s words,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter