Storm-born

Les Fleurs du Mal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Quickly, quickly, only the necessary things!” The butler stormed through the rooms where the maids were moving as fast as possible, packing clothes, jewelry and all sort of boxes filled with the masters’ dowry and treasures.

“What about this, sir?” A girl pointed at the fine painting hanging on the wall in one of the empty rooms.

“Leave it!” The butler didn’t even look at it and yet shivers went down his spine. Everyone knew that the times were dark and that such a painting would only bring misfortune on the family who owned it. And he wasn’t going to allow such a thing to hurt his master or the mistress in any way. So, when no one was looking, he took it and rolled it quickly into a leather protection, only to place it below a wooden board that came out from the floor.

“Mr. Kim, the carriage is here!” One of the maids announced from the front porch while passing packages to the workers that were loading everything in an old cart.

The butler straightened his clothes and calmly walked deeper inside the house, closing door after door behind him. There, in the last room it was like in the eye of the tornado: peace and quiet, a low hum covering whatever sound would have traveled from outside.

“My lady?” He called gently from in front of the last room.

“Come in.” Her voice reminded him of old days when had to carry her on his back or run around after her as she climbed the highest trees. And now she was only peace, her pearl-like skin shining with health and joy while her delicate fingers laid protective on her rounded tummy.

“The carriage is here, my lady,” he remained standing, waiting for her to move first.

“How about my husband?”

“He said we are to leave before him. Don’t worry, my lady, the master is skilled enough to protect himself if needed,” he quickly said when he noticed the cloud like shadow that seemed to cover her face for a moment. “But we need to hurry.”

“This child – I want it to be safe,” her whisper was soft as her hands encircled her waist protectively. “We shall go like my husband desires then. Help me up, please.”

Everyone stopped as she stepped outside the protective walls of the house she cherished and loved. She gave them a smile that conveyed her apologetic heart for those who were leaving behind their lives to protect her and the life growing inside of her before disappearing inside the carriage.

“Don’t stop,” the butler instructed the young warrior who took the reins in his hand. “Here are the papers. Now go!”

››۝‹‹

Everywhere you’d look you could see people fleeing their houses, leaving behind everything and sometimes everyone to save themselves. The young warrior took secret roads, roads that led through dark woods and calmly led the horse through shallow waters, always alert and keeping an eye on whatever was behind them. But those were the roads of bandits and thieves, of outlaws and only few dared taking them and even those were too burdened by their own secrets to even peek at their carriage. So they passed unknown and unobserved as they went deeper into the mountain’s shadow.

“Jungkook, we have to stop,” the voice reached out gently like a spring breeze to the bodyguard.

“We have to get out of here tonight. I don’t think they’re so far behind us,” he replied. But he pulled the horse to stop. “My lady?”

“I… my time has come,” she had to confess although the words made her cheeks flush with red. No man should hear such words from a lady like her or from any woman to be fair. But she was alone, her nana somewhere far and her child was hurrying to come into the world. And she knew that she needed help, be it even that of a man.

“My lady…” Jungkook’s head appeared from behind the curtains hiding her figure, his eye quickly scanning the situation. “There’s a village not far from here. My mother lives there and she’ll be able to help you. Do you think you can hold on till there?”

Her teeth bit on her lips quickly so she wouldn’t scream and then softly relaxed into a smile. “Please hurry,” was all she could agree to.

“Just, hold on tightly,” the warrior warned before jumping directly on the horse and hurrying the poor animal on the narrow mountain road as if chased by demons. He was concerned, yes, not sure of what the village would hold for them or if it was at least a safe place for them to stay. Then he was concerned for her – she looked frail and she was still young, her twenties in full bloom, but her body… He shook his head to chase away the water pouring over him, blocking his sight, but also the thoughts that were trying to make it through inside his head

“Hold on tight!” He yelled all of a sudden, forcing the horse to stop abruptly as huge rocks started crumbling from the mountain and slided down right in front of the carriage, blocking the way. “Are you alright, my lady?” He quickly checked on her safety and frowned upon her sweaty and red face.

“W-What… was… that?” She struggled for air, her fingers curling around the silk of her gown.

“We can’t go further. The land sliding made some rocks fall and block the road. I’ll go for help,” he decided, still looking at her.

“No!” It was the first time in her entire life when she raised her voice at someone. “I need you deliver this baby.”

“My lady…”

“There is no time. Please…” Her eyes were giving away her fear, her trembling heart struggling to keep up with the pain,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter