A Family Treasure

Red Queen

~*8*~

 

Confetti was thrown all over the place. Loud music and cheer of people were incomparable. The welcome of Lóng’s people was marvelous. The White Knights’ West Group were confused, looking at each other with puzzled faces, obviously asking themselves — why they were getting such treatment? There must be a mistake. These huge crowd might be waiting for someone else and not them.

 

“Welcome,” said by a man wearing a high-end-attire, probably an official. He smiled generously — almost too good to be real.

 

The boys got off from their horses and bowed at the man, in which he reciprocated. Then, there was a little girl who came forward and reached the garland to the tall leader. Kris had no other option but to accept it, bending down so she could wear it around the boy’s neck. She smiled sweetly after she was done putting it on to Kris, excitedly going back to the crowd where her mother was waiting.

 

“The King was working on another matter as we speak so on his behalf, you will meet one of the Princesses instead.” The official explained. So, the grand greeting was really meant for them.

 

They were asked to go back riding their horses as they travel the path to Lóng’s palace. People were still cheering for them, along with the throwing of fragrant petals and the festive music went on.

 

 

 

Princess Sailun, the King’s seventh child, would be the one who would accommodate the knights for this visit. When they got into the palace, they were advised that their leader was the only one allowed to meet the princess in the meantime, and the rest of them would be escorted to their respective rooms. Kris had one last look to his colleagues before he turned his head to his destination. This palace might have a different colour and design from Bonghuang, but their outline was the same. There was also a huge garden in the center of it, but this one had a round shape. There he found standing a young lady wearing bright coloured and layered silk robes near the crystal clear pond. She looks pure and youthful like a white budding flower.

She might be pretty, but Kris was thinking something else as he looked at her. The Red Queen came into his mind. Since his Queen must be around this princess’ age, he wondered if she looked as delicate and innocent as this girl.

However, he noticed that the silence between them was taking a while so he shook off his daze, and greeted the princess.

 

Walking around the garden, Kris and Princess Sailun talked about the reason for the grand welcome earlier. The news about the newly bloomed group of knights from the legendary country of Bonghuang spread all over Lóng. The battle they had with the northern country was known and admired by Lóng’s countrymen. The palace received a letter from Bonghuang, informing them that four members of the knight were originally from Lóng. Bonghuang appreciated these knights and paid their gratitude to Lóng for letting these boys work for them.

 

“You and I meet to sign the pact between your serving country and ours.” The young princess politely spoke, staring at the pond full of blooming lilies. “It will be happening tomorrow night so I hope you enjoy your stay before that.”

 

Kris nodded in response and bowed gratefully for letting him and his colleagues stay in the palace. If he was a mere citizen like before, he would never have the chance to step foot on there. Being a knight of a legendary foreign country gave him a lot of advantages.

 

“So, how is it living in Bonghuang?” Kris looked at the young lady and smiled at her. “It seems fun with how you reacted.”

 

“It is.” He admitted. “It’s colourful and there are a lot of warm people. We don’t feel like outsiders at all.”

 

Kris was brief with his answer since they were not allowed to give further details to anyone about his serving country. Although with these terms, he wanted to at least not appear restricted.

 

“They like eating spicy food too.” The princess blocked as she laughed demurely.

 

“Goodness, I hope you’re not having a hard time adjusting with their taste.” The princess said. “I can’t stand eating something spicy so it will be difficult for me if I were you.”

 

“It is not easy at first but I got used to it.” And then they laughed together.

 

Kris wondered if only the Red Queen will be this approachable, could he laugh with her too?

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Kris. As much as I want to talk to you more, it’s about time for my study.” The blond bowed and the princess did the same. “You and your friends may roam around the palace as you like.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“See you tomorrow.” Kris bid his farewell to the princess and watching her leave, allowed him to appreciate the beauty of that young lady. He thought that princess would be a very good wife someday. But, what was he thinking?

 

Shaking that strange idea, he decided to return to his comrades.

 

 

 

The next day, Kris woke up when he heard Luhan excitedly calling Xiumin’s name. The oldest of them all shared the room with him so he was affected by the deer-like boy’s nuisance. Kris could not take Luhan’s squealing voice so he got up and found him shaking the eldest knight’s shoulder.

 

“Luhan, keep it down!” He sternly said even with his hoarse voice.

 

“He’s right!” Xiumin sounded so irritated as well, turning back and covering the blanket over his head.

 

“But, I want to show you where I live and my favourite places here.” Luhan reasoned out that quickly cause Xiumin to rise from his bed.

 

“Oh yes, you’re from the capital.” Luhan’s eyes sparkled as his friend realised that.

 

“I’ll also bring you to the best meat bun which can be found in this town.”

 

“Why didn't you tell me sooner? Let’s go!” Xiumin took the blanket off of him and revealing that he already changed his clothes. The happy Luhan hugged him as he stood from his bed.

 

They might be prepared to go out, but it would not be that simple to slip from their leader’s hand.

 

“Who told you that you can leave the palace?” The pair looked back at him, a little bit surprised.

 

“But, didn't the former White King say that we can visit our family?” Kris was taken aback since Luhan has a point. “My house is just nearby. And see, we’re wearing something that can blend in with the civilians. So you have nothing to worry about. I know your hometown is far from here but you may check out this place too.”

 

Their leader sighed before he would say if he allowed them or not. The two looked so tense especially Xiumin who was biting his own lips.

 

"Fine, just get back here before sunset." Luhan and Xiumin were elated by his approval and immediately gave high five to each other. It did not take long, Kris was left alone the room.

 

 

On the other hand, his three remaining younger members had gone out too, and for sure Yixing was leading them.

 

Since Kris was all by himself at this moment, there would be no other thing to do but to follow what Luhan said earlier. He headed out the palace and chose to visit the public library.

 

He wanted to know what happened since the time he and his mother migrated from this country. The knowledge he had was limited which was only provided by his fellows who were also from Lóng. He knew the capital suffered from the world war too like the rest of the country's regions. But strangely, he could not see the trace of it now.

 

He did not want to ask anyone from there since they were pretending to be an ordinary citizen as of the moment.

 

Stopping at the history section, Kris saw hundreds of scrolls neatly stack together in the shelves. He took one of them and scanned it, but he found nothing but an old story. As he returned it to its shelf, he sensed someone was behind him so he instinctually turned his head back. He found a middle-aged man observing him as if he was a rare item.

 

"I did not mean to interrupt you, young man. My apology for that." He said, giving Kris a pregnant smile. The younger blinks in wonder, but he shook his head to the mysterious person.

 

"I don't mind it at all, Sir." He politely said. "But, what can I do for you?"

 

"Nothing." The guy said, keeping the same smile. "Scholars come here almost everyday however I haven't seen you before. My name is Han Sol by the way. Our family owned this library nearly for a hundred years."

 

The friendly owner reached his hand to the young lad, and Kris was hesitant to take it but he still did it.

 

"My name is Fan." Kris wanted to keep his identity as a knight so he introduced himself with his old name. "I came from Wēngēhua but we used to live here."

 

"Amazing. I must say — welcome back." Kris bowed his head, presenting his fists together — the common way of greeting in Lóng. The man did the same wholeheartedly.

 

"I haven't had a chance to know about anything our country for years so I tried my luck learning it here." The guy nodded as he softly laughed.

 

"Your family must have moved with you in Wēngēhua, right? And, no friends? It is tough indeed to talk to a stranger." The man tapped his shoulder. "You did the right choice to go in this library, Fan. Alright, I'll get you what you need, and while I'm doing so, you better take a seat."

 

Kris complied with what the older male told him, sitting in the round wooden table. While waiting and casting his view around, his eyes locked on a  sapphire blue scroll, and somehow it stood out among the others due to its sparkling golden linings.

 

The Lonely Blue Knight is written outside the scroll. Kris cannot think of anything but his kind seniors in the Phoenix country. The former Red Queen and White King led them before and till now. He then remembered that there were two members who had left the service.

 

He was going to open the scroll when suddenly — a bundle of scrolls landed on the table where he was sitting in.

 

"Oh you found our family's treasure." The older guy said while happily looking at the blue scroll. His eyes were full of nostalgia.

 

And, Kris absolutely did not miss to highlight one of the words he mentioned.

 

"Treasure?" The man proudly nodded as he sat beside him.

 

"There's a mystical nation called the Phoenix country. An adult like me is not welcome to go there, but the young ones like you are a different case." The man said. "My grandfather used to serve Red Queen Hee which he wrote in that scroll. I don't want to spoil a very good story so I'll let you learn the rest on your own by reading his work."

 

The scroll was not just pretty outside, its inside seemed interesting too. As much as Kris wanted to read the story, he went to that library with a different purpose, and he did not have much time to read everything the old guy offered.

 

"I'm sorry, Sir." Kris was embarrassed to tell his concern. "I can't stay here for a whole day to read everything."

 

"It's fine. You can go here tomorrow to continue reading... or, can't you?" The blonde boy shook his head sadly, and the older frowned as well. "Alright, read as much as you can today. And then about the blue scroll, you can bring it with you so you have something to do in your travel."

 

"Really? But, that's..." Kris' eyes brightened and became gloomy in an instance. The older man laughed at his reaction.

 

"You don't have to worry that much." The owner assured him. "We have several copies of that scroll so I will give it to you. Moreover, you seem to be a responsible man."

 

"Thank you, Sir. I promise to take care of this like how your family treasures it." The older guy happily nods. He then let the boy study their country's history while he returned to the counter.

 

 

Kris truly went home after two hours of reading along with the owner's gift.

 

There was still free time before the official ceremony with the princess so he was going to spend it by reading the initial chapters of the blue scroll. However, he was unable to carry over his plan because he was welcomed by Tao's grieving. Luhan and Yixing looked unusual as well. The other two Bonghuang boys tried to hush the youngest down, but he just continued crying.