Byun Baekhyun: Love Song

Before We Get There [[One- shot Collection]]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He wrote melodies that brought one to a different world.

She wrote lyrics that made you stay.

It was their world.

He was Byun Baekhyun. And she was Kim Min Ah.

They met in high school.

The sixteen-year-old Baekhyun wasn't much of a composer then. In fact, it was only at that age when he first picked up the guitar. His best friend had convinced them, it was easier to get girls to notice you if you played any musical instrument. Baekhyun believed him. He was good at playing, but not the best. His best friend who joined the club with him, became the best player in their year, and attracted all the attention that Baekhyun had wanted. Life was unfair like that, so Baekhyun shrugged it off. It turned out the joy of playing music itself, was strangely fulfilling now.

The sixteen-year-old Min Ah wasn't much of a writer. Her essays were better than average, at least that was what her teachers said. But she was too focus on her studies to really write for leisure. If you flipped open her textbooks though, you would find random lines, scribbled in odd places, as if weird quotes crawled into her mind sometimes when she wasn't paying attention. Min Ah admitted to her best friend, she always knew she was a storyteller. For when she zoned out, strange characters and storyline will come to her, and occupying the whole of her attention. That was when she had to write them down. But there was never enough time to finished them, and Min Ah decided, for now, this was alright.

Baekhyun knew Min Ah, just like how Min Ah knew Baekhyun. They knew each other, but then again, they didn’t. She would smile at him along the corridor as they passed each other in school. Sometimes he would return with a smile too, other times he would say hi. They were friendly. They just weren't friends.

They were in their last year of high school, when Baekhyun took the first step and mustered up the courage to approach Min Ah. It wasn't like she was hard to approach, Min Ah was sweet, although shy to strangers. Baekhyun was nervous about it, but Min Ah didn't know why.

"Hey Min Ah." Baekhyun stopped her as they both stepped out of English class together. It was the only class they had together that year.

"Hi Baekhyun, do you need something?" She smiled. It was a pleasant smile, a smile that suited her personality.

"Ah… Congrats on coming first place in that writing contest." Their teacher had just announced the good news. It was an inter-district competition, Min Ah represented their school and won.

"Thank you! The prize money is good." She chuckled lightly.

"That's nice." He scratched the back of his head anxiously. "Actually, I have a favor to ask of you. I have been playing around and writing some music lately, but I can't find the right lyrics. Honestly, I could really use the help. Do you have a spare moment after school this week?"

"Oh! I am… not much of a lyrist…"

"That's alright! You are better than words than I am. I just need someone to bounce some ideas. It is a small project, but I am kind of excited about it. This is going to sound a little egoistic, but I am proud of this song and I really think it needs great lyrics to complement it." Baekhyun gushed.

"Well then," she hesitated, though only briefly. "Sure. Why not?"

Baekhyun and Min Ah spent one entire week together, perfecting the song, day and night.

His melody reflected Baekhyun's personality. It was comforting on first listen, and unsuspecting memorable, and you simply couldn’t pinpoint why that was the case. It was like a dose of bright light when you would expect everything to be clear, but the light also blinds you to the whole picture. Her lyrics reflected Min Ah's. There was hope and there was doubt, confident but not quite, uncertain but not giving up. It was like words you would tell yourself for reassurance when you were alone in the dark.

 

If you’re the faraway galaxy

That brings tears to eyes with your glory

I’m that pair of eyes that never stops chasing your light

Whenever I’m lonely, I’ll look up the starry sky

 

I could follow behind your back

Like a shadow chasing the light

I could wait at this crossing

No matter if you will be passing by

 

His friends loved the song and were only to eager to play it. It was the first time that Baekhyun had seriously recorded a song with his band. Granted he did it by soundproofing his bedroom with cheap foams as though he knew how it worked, the band was so proud of their work that they decided to create a YouTube channel. It was the first time the band had an original song to share with the world. It was a moment that Baekhyun would never forget.

Not that the song attracted a lot of attention given how hard it was when so many good musicians had brought their music online. But it was a step forwards and they were pretty pleased about it. Baekhyun who only became lead singer because he couldn’t play guitar as well, shocked everyone with his surprising good vocals. Two weeks after, the song went online, he finally admitted to Min Ah that he sought her help because he always kind of like her. Two months later, Baekhyun and Min Ah were officially dating.

They were eighteen.

 

 

After high school, Baekhyun pursued music production in college, although truthfully, he was a horrible student. The band spent their weekdays recording their music in their school studio and performing small gigs during weekends. Min Ah went off to college too, studying English. Despite the requirement for having to write for credit, she hadn’t stop writing for fun. Some days she posted some of her writing online, just out of curiosity of how people would respond. And of course, even though they spent a lot of time fooling around with their individual dreams, Baekhyun and Min Ah was spending just as much beside each other. They would be catching the latest movies, they would be out doing morning exercise with each other, they would be studying for their finals together.

Side by side, Baekhyun kept writing melodies and Min Ah kept writing lyrics for Baekhyun’s songs.

They worked well together. Baekhyun was excitable and im

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter