Oh Sehun: Can you hear my heart?

Before We Get There [[One- shot Collection]]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There is a type of love in this world, a type known as Oh Sehun's love.

At fifteen, Oh Sehun already towered over every boy in the class. At sixteen, Oh Sehun had an unofficial fan club, consisting of girls that didn't even attend our high school. At seventeen, Oh Sehun was made the captain of the school's basketball team, not that he needed an official title to win the respect and admiration of his peers.

Oh Sehun never had a girlfriend in all our years in high school. 

Oh Sehun never had a girlfriend, period. 

It didn't make sense, to everyone that knew him, and to anyone that had seen or heard of him. 

His defined eyebrows, his chiseled jaw line, and his mesmerizing smile was incomparable to any boy in our year. And he was the poster boy, for almost every school event that required a model. He was the face that everyone remembered.

He was the type of guys that every girl would crush on, at one point or another in their lives. For other than his good looks, he was sweet, he was polite and he was always friendly. It was too easily to fall for a boy like that.

And it surprised no one, to see the number of girls approaching him to pass him a love letter or to boldly ask for his number. Oh, the countless girls that had hoped for a chance or a shot to win the affection of Oh Sehun had always been a topic of interest for us. And you couldn't even be jealous of him, for he was truly a handsome guy with a kind heart. 

Well, he had a heart. Until he gave it away.

We knew the rumors going around about Sehun, for a high profile guy like him, people would always talk. People like to make guesses on his love life, or rather the lack of it. Maybe, it was the age where love was so mysterious and tempting, that it was all everything that we talked about. Everyone thought they were an expert on love, but the truth was, at fifteen, all of us were just blank sheets of white paper.

There were no heart-wrenching love stories yet, no sweet unforgettable memories. We had nothing to back up our firm beliefs on the notion of love. We were all just anticipating, filling up a new chapter of our young life with the right person. 

We would talk, the small group of us who found each other likable enough to hang out daily, about our naive ideas of the right person. Height was an issue then. Weight was an issue. Good looks were preferred. But their reputation was an even bigger deal. At fifteen, we were looking for perfection. 

Names were thrown out. Like that pretty girl from Dance, that choir president with the high cheekbones or that shy blushing girl that topped every math class. They were the widely agreed as good catches. 

"How about Hae Soo?" Sehun asked, with his usual casual tone.

"The tall girl from Band?" Our friend said.

Sehun had nodded. "She seems nice. I don't have much band friends to have heard anything about her though."

"Oh, I have her in art class. Yea, she seems alright." I told Sehun.

Hae Soo was tall for her age, but other than that, she didn't really stand out. She looked fine, but she wasn't one's usual idea of beauty. She was well liked, but Hae Soo wasn't popular. 

So, how did Oh Sehun knew her? 

Hae Soo must have been nice to him like she was to everyone. But Sehun saw something else in the nice girl, he saw his perfection. 

We should have guessed that there was a reason for the rumors. That there was a reason why Sehun couldn't accept anyone else.

We should have guessed, back then when he mentioned Hae Soo. 

That Oh Sehun, would never forget that name.

 

With time, we all caught on. It was hard to miss when your friend wasn't exactly being stealthy. For Sehun would always find Hae Soo, even in the crowded hallway, just to go up to her and greeted her with a grin so wide that his eyes would seemingly disappear. 

"How are you, Noona?" 

Hae Soo would wave back, and almost certainly replied him brightly, "Sehun, I am only a few months older. We are technically still the same age."

The boy would brush her words aside. "You have better grades than me. So you are my wise Noona."

The friendly Sehun who was always the gentlemen to the girls, the reliable Sehun who was always there for the boys, he was deep down, a Dongsaeng who wanted a Noona to take care of him. It was something that I couldn't understand then. To be honest, none of our friends did. 

"Noona, can you teach me this question?"

"Noona, can I join you at the library?"

"Noona, can you save me a ticket for your band concert?"

"Noona, I have a basketball match this Friday. Are you coming?"

 

Noona.

Noona. 

Are you listening, Noona?

Can you hear my heart?

 

 

When the whole world wanted Oh Sehun to take care of them, Oh Sehun wanted someone to take care of him. When everyone wanted to a place in his heart, Oh Sehun had already given away his. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter