1/?

Music Notes

Baekhyun's eyes shot open and albeit the sun barely up in the sky, they twitch as a tune hum itself repeatedly in Baekhyun's mind.

I've been cheated by you since I don't know when...

The boy's eyes flit towards the digital alarm clock on his bedside table. The red blinking digits read itself at 4:34 AM. Baekhyun inwardly curses. He has two hours before his shift which means at least an hour for him to get additional sleep. But no. The song lyrics continue to drawl quite irritably in his mind, deterring him from going back to slumber.

However, the tune stops playing in his head making Baekhyun sigh in relief before he snuggles deeper into his comforter, eyes slowly closing to the comforting beeping of his alarm clock. But before he completely succumbs himself into sleep, the painful words run through his mind and the dreadful tune enters his ears, Baekhyun's bloodshot eyes opening into angry slits.

Mamma Mia! Here I go again...

My my, how can I resist ya?

ABBA was one of Baekhyun's favorite musicians. They called to his old soul, which preferred the tunes of the timeless classics of The Carpenters and Barry Manilow than the modern, electronic beats of Nicki Minaj and The Chainsmokers the youth smugly blast past his house in their sleek car stereos.

But not today, they aren't. Not today.

Sure, like any person in the world, Baekhyun dreamt of meeting his soulmate in better circumstances than this, maybe while riding home from work or while out on a stroll in the park. Not while he was asleep, not especially to the obnoxious tune of Mamma Mia at an ungodly hour.

Baekhyun groans in defeat, pushing the comforter back with his feet before rubbing his eyes with a hand. "Might as well get ready for work and have breakfast, then." He thinks as he stumbles to the bathroom.

His soulmate's lucky Baekhyun likes them, even if it was inevitable.

But are they really lucky? Hmm...

Well, Baekhyun could be a if he wanted but tough luck, really. They'll have forever with him to get used to it.

 


 

By 7 AM, Baekhyun steps into work, getting a gawking and a gasp from Jongdae, the nosey and unfortunately noisy co-worker of his who is also unfortunately just a work cubicle over.

Baekhyun sends him an annoyed glare before shuffling into his desk and miraculously starting on work, much to Jongdae and pretty much everyone's astonishment. Byun Baekhyun was notoriously known around the office for procrastinating his work, to the point where the department boss, Kim Junmyeon stands by his office doorway with hands folded against his chest and a pleading yet exasperating look on his face as he watches his employee traipsy from one work cubicle to another, distracting the other employees with his loud guffaws and stories.

Jongdae slides up beside him, eyes incredulously wide as he watches Baekhyun merely hum to acknowledge his presence and work on today's assignments. Jongdae takes it to another level when he gasps loudly as Baekhyun clicks open an Excel file before backing away when Baekhyun swings around in his chair to glare at him.

"Okay, okay." Jongdae says. "What's gotten into you, though? First, you come in here at exactly 7 AM. Second, you're actually already working at 7:05 without even doing your daily routine of driving everyone into insanity."

Baekhyun groans before returning his attention back to his work. "I'm not in the mood, Jongdae. Go do ."

"Not until you tell me what's up with you."

"I'm really not in the mood and I'd like to get work done as early as possible, Dae, so I can get home and probably--" He chokes on the last word when that same bloody tune weaves itself back in his head again.

This is what he feared and dreaded the most today. He knew he wasn't going to get work done what with a loop of Mamma Mia playing in his mind. The number of times his soulmate went over the same chorus was enough to drive Baekhyun to smash his head against the wall or throw himself in the middle of traffic but alas, he already loves his soulmate too much to do any of the such. That or he just badly wanted to knock his soulmate unconscious in retaliation once he meets them.

Jongdae curiously watches on as Baekhyun sits frozen, eyes wide in horror as if he's seen a ghost fly by. To make sure (because Jongdae is that ing weird), Jongdae looks behind him for any peculiarity but sees nothing.

"Uh, Baek?" He asks in concern this time when Baekhyun chokes on his own saliva and slams his head on his desk with a loud bang, enough for Jongdae to flinch at just how painful it sounded. "I know you're not in the mood, but that's not enough of an excuse to kill yourself, you know?"

"Oh, Jongdae." Baekhyun grunts when he finally sings along internally to Mamma Mia. "You have no idea."