Chapter 3|I’ve Died

The Devil's Labyrinth

Chapter 3|I’ve Died

You were confused, you thought to yourself about the condition, but if you manage to achieve it then you had to die either way. You stared at SungYeol’s eyes for a while, the information slowly processed through your mind. “What do you think? Yes or no?” SungYeol asked as you noticed L standing behind him looking pretty mad. “I…I- I still have to die,” you stuttered uncomfortably playing with the rim of your shirt. “Why do you even care about living? Life is so boring,” L rolled his eyes with a scoff. You looked down at the ground and then softly answered, “But I feel like there is someone I need to find.”

“Who’s cares about them. If I just eat you then the problem would be solved,” L shrugged as SungYeol gave him a glare.

“Out of everyone, you only care about yourself,” SungYeol raised an eyebrow with his arms crossed over his chest.

“…*tch… Yeah, of course. Who doesn’t care about themselves? I’m starving right now, can’t you have some etiquettes and just let me eat her?” L whined with an irritated sigh.

“No,” SungYeol bluntly replied.

“Erm…. May I ask?” you politely said trying not to interrupt. SungYeol turned away from L and looked at you with a nod. “Can I have my old body back? It’s just that I feel really weird in a strange body,” you replied.

“Sorry, but your body is gone,” SungYeol apologetically sighed, you gave him a confused look, “That body you borrowed is returned to the right place. You can no longer borrow the body.” “Why? I don’t understand anything you said. Why can’t I go back to my body? Why are you saying that this body is mine, when I have never seen her before?” you asked starting to get frustrated. “Here I’ll show you,” L annoyingly said walking up to you. Pulling you closer to him, he placed his hand over your eyes and then you shockingly stood frozen. “You know you should close your eyes in order to see,” L’s voice vibrated in your ear as his strong mellow voice whispered in your ear. Closing your eyes, you quickly saw a mirage like image popped up.

“Where is she?!” a voice yelled from outside the coffin. Inside the coffin it was damped and cold, you tried to calm yourself down by taking soft and serene breaths. Soon those whispers and murmurs trailed off, opening the lid of the coffin you quickly light your torch again, you screamed in horror as you noticed that there was a body lying inside the coffin. It was a young male, his face and body had been smeared with your blood.

Tears started to fall from your eyes as you politely bowed and tried to close the lid, as you carefully placed the lid over the coffin a hand shot out blocking you from closing the coffin. A young male sat up and stared at you with his crimson eyes, a smirk was present on his face as you stepped back and tried to think of a plan to escape. His eyes seemed to have locked you frozen, unable to move, gulping hard your heart raced even faster. The male then stepped out of the coffin and looked down at you with a pleased smile, gently placing his hand over your forehead. An aching pain was killing your head, it hurt to the point that blood could be seen dripping from his hand and down your face, slowly down to your neck.

You felt his breath against your skin as he leaned in even closer, slightly tilting it. But as he leaned in even closer you felt a strange force trying to pull you away, however another force was pulling you towards the male in front of you.

***

You felt blank and cold, nothing was coming to your mind, and you felt so transparent that you could even be blown away by the wind. You have been walking, for how long you don’t remember. Why you were walking? You don’t know. What happened? You also don’t know. You don’t remember or know anything. Continuing to walk, you made your way through an alleyway, which was when a weak and painful cry was heard. Even though it was just a yell, you felt your body go even colder and the hair was sticking up from the back of your neck.

The yell continued and yet you tiringly tried to avoid it. But then the cry was even more depressing, like a broken heart or a lost person was crying… Crying for help. Deciding to follow the cry, you made your way towards a giant garbage dump, beside the stinky and dirty bin, you noticed a baby. Bending down beside the baby, you noticed that it was a cute little girl, “Did your parents abandon you?” you asked it, looking down at its tired expression.

*Third Person POV

As L was about to grab a hold of her, he suddenly felt someone’s hand grabbing onto his, frustratingly turning around he saw SungYeol. “You again? It’s been like around 700 years already, how long do you want to follow me?” he asked rising an eyebrow.

“L, just give up, I won’t let you eat her,”

“Who are you to speak? Do you know how long I’ve been looking for her,”

“Then give up, you have plenty of souls to feed on,”

“Pfft! Mr. Grim Reaper, I live in the Devil’s Labyrinth, do you think I could easily find a soul. She was the soul I came across after I’ve been waiting so long for a soul. I’m extremely hungry,”

“But I cannot let her be eaten. She needs to go to the Underworld with me,”

“I’ve found her, so I can eat her, right?”

As L turned away and faced her, his hand slowly reached out to grab her, but then SungYeol pushed your soul into the baby girl. L’s eyes widened in shock and anger, the red scarlet colour was starting to appear. “What the hell was that for?!” he yelled as he watched his food being lost. “You cannot eat her anymore… You are a demon with justice, so I guess you won’t eat a baby,” SungYeol smirked and then disappear. L angrily yelled, “Argh! That ugly farmer! [**other words for grim reaper are also ugly or unattractive; harvester, farmer or mower.] I’ll get you back!”

Your eyes opened and you let out a sigh, you have never thought about being a lost ghost for around 800 years. That baby being abandoned was actually the body you used, it felt so strange knowing it. You watched as L’s hands were removed from your eyes, “Now you understand?” he asked. You turned to him and looked up at his shiny eyes, “So how did I get into my old body?” you asked, noticing the sly smirk on his lips you felt suspicious. L’s smirk was getting wider as he took a step closer and bend down to your level, “Do you want me to show you?” he asked, you didn’t get to answer when he moved his lips near yours and that startled you. Suddenly you felt SungYeol’s hand grabbing yours and pulled you away. L stood up straight and withdraws back with a disappointed frown. “You should be careful when being close to him,” SungYeol warned.

“Why?” you asked feeling clueless.

“Those lips of his could eat you alive,” your eyes widened at SungYeol’s reply.

“So that other time you kissed me- You tried to eat me!” you yelled in amazement.

“Well yeah. But then someone had to ruined it,” L replied eyeing SungYeol.

“If I was moved into this body, then what happened to my other one?” you asked.

“You died, duh?” L mocked.

“Yeah, that’s right. You were announced dead this morning,” SungYeol nodded, “Your adopted father is really sad.”

You were stiff, you couldn’t even find your voice. It was shocking to have known you’ve died and your dad would cry so much. Covering your mouth with your hands, you uncontrollably let your tears pour out. Heavy droplets of tears trickled down your cheek as you weakly fell to the ground, your heart was aching, your lungs seem to have been finding it hard to breathe. “What to do? Appa is also in hospital with a heart attack the other day,” you thought, troubled with so many things. Looking up you saw SungYeol and you suddenly remembered that he was a grim reaper. “SungYeol, can you please tell me if my dad is going to make it? Is he going to make it?” you asked.

“Err… I think he would make it,” SungYeol unknowingly sighed. “SungYeol, can I ask. About the condition, if I find you those three blood droplets, can you give my father the cure of his heart disease? After that I promise to go to the Underworld with you,” you asked. “About that… Would you want that? Are you dead serious about it?” he questioned, but without thinking you nodded immediately, “Okay. But before I give you more details, why do you want to do this for your father?”

“When I was young, I stayed in the orphanage for a while and appa adopted me with umma. Umma then had an affair with someone else and left me for appa. He raised me up, but when I was young, I’ve always caused a lot of trouble for him, now I just want to make it up to him,” you replied as L let out a long dreary sigh and disappeared. “Okay…*sigh… Here are the conditions in finding these blood droplets. Listen closely, since you have been a lost soul for 800 years, your mind had completely been erased, but when you were transferred back into your original body, your memory is starting to come back,” SungYeol said, but when he let out the sigh, you felt strange.

 “So if I remember, I could find the three people?”

“Not quite, once you remember the past entirely, then you must find that deep bonding between three strangers in order to find the reincarnated souls from the past,”

“But about the blood, do I just cut them or do I ask them?”

“The blood you’re finding isn’t just ordinary blood, it is blood from the deepest part of the mind,”

“What do you mean?”

“Every soul being reincarnated has their memory erased, but within that erased memory, there is a memory from the past that is deeply buried, so in order to obtain that blood droplet, you must try and stimulate that memory,”