Chapter 13|Vague Feelings

The Devil's Labyrinth

Chapter 13|Vague Feelings

It was a fine warm day and your had nothing else to do but to shop around the business markets, you mind was still occupied with the dream you had. As L walked beside you noticed that he was staring at you weirdly. “Are you okay? You look troubled,” he asked staring down at you. You beamed a smile at him and shook your head, “I’m fine, you’re just thinking too much.” L let out a sigh and continued walking down the path. “Hey guys,” the cheerful voice was heard behind you and L, the both of you turned to see SungYeol. You found yourself tensed up as he walked up and stood beside L.

“SungYeol, why are you here?” you asked looking up at both and L and SungYeol.

“It has been awhile since we haven’t been together, so I wanted to drop by and visit,” SungYeol smiled, “So, how is it going with your collecting job?”

“I just need one more,” you replied continue walking down the path, “Um… SungYeol, right now, from the eyes of other humans, can they see you?”

“No, I’m a grim reaper, only people who have died and are in this world or are going to die can see me,” he answered with a small smile.

You nodded to yourself and let out a sigh, “Let’s go and eat, I’m hungry,” you said as both L and SungYeol nodded in unison.

***

That afternoon you took down the dried clothing from the line as you carried them into the clothing’s owner’s room. Making your way to your master’s room, you held his clothes in your hands as you carefully made your way down the hallway. Suddenly you felt someone crash into you causing the clothes to fall to the dusty ground, quickly bending down to pick up the clothes, you felt your head being hit roughly. “What are you doing in my way?!” your master yelled constantly hitting you, “Look what happened to my clothes, it’s all dirty! You really want to stay back in the stock house right?!” “I’m sorry sir, I’ll go wash them again,” you obediently picked up the clothes and rushed to the well and wash the clothes again.

You found yourself crying as you rubbed your head in pain, the cold water pierced through to your bones, and the memory of L still keep coming back. Letting out a long dreary sigh you continued washing the clothes, “Are you alright?” a familiar voice asked, looking you saw SungYeol. “Oppa,” you muttered under your breath as you quickly wiped your tears, “I’m…. Okay.”

“Then that’s good to hear. Do you need help? I’ll help you,”

“It’s fine oppa, I could do it. It’s my job anyways,”

“Here, I’ll help. We have lunch later, if you don’t finish it don’t think you could eat,”

“Thank you oppa,”

“No need to thank me, I’m willing to help,”

“Oppa, can I ask how long have you’ve been working here?”

“Since I was 10,”

“10? Wow, that’s long,”

“…*chuckle… I’ve met people who’ve worked longer at even a younger age,”

“Why did you work here?”

“My parents sold me because they needed money for my older brother’s medical fees. So in order to pay back the debt I have to work,”

“Oh, have you ever met your parents again?”

“No, I grew up and I guess they don’t know how I look like. I also don’t remember much of my family,”

“…*nod… It must have been hard on you,”

“I got use to it. Are you still sad about what happened to MyungSoo, it has been almost a year?”

“Although it’s almost a year, I still feel like it was just yesterday, I don’t know when I’ll be able to forget him,”

You lower your head and continued washing the clothes, you then suddenly felt SungYeol’s hand gently holding onto yours, looking up you gazed into his eyes. “I don’t know when you’ll be able to forget L, but I want you to give me a chance,” he softly spoke, causing your heart to tremble, “I love you.”

Your eyes widened as you stared at the dark ceiling, slightly seeing the light sway gently from the wind, getting up you close the window and let out a sigh. Running your fingers through the long strands from your hair, you decided to head to the kitchen to get a drink. The house was completely dark as you searched your way through to the kitchen, flicking on the light you jumped of fright as you spotted SungYeol sitting at the dining table. “Why are you here?” you asked heading towards the tap to pour yourself a cup of water. “I can’t remember,” he sighed.

“Remember your past? Didn’t you say that once you remember then you’ll fade away and die?”

“Yeah, but I still want to know, even if I die, even if I would see my past for just a moment, I would want that,”

You bit your lower lip and asked, “Why do you want to remember the past?”

“I always have this strange feeling towards you. From the day I was ordered to collect your soul, I felt it,”

“What is that feeling?” you asked plainly drinking your cup of water.

“Love,” he answered elevating his head until his eyes met yours.

You found yourself choking on the water as you tried calming yourself down. “He did really love me. How stupid was I? SungYeol didn't suicide because of L’s death, then that means he died because of me, but why?” you thought holding your eyes upon his tearful gaze.