Chapter 16|The Grim Reaper’s Memories (2-2)

The Devil's Labyrinth

Chapter 16|The Grim Reaper’s Memories (2-2)

His eyes were focused on the light, it was getting dimmer and further from his sight, SungYeol decided to run after to catch up to the light. Forcing his last breath, SungYeol managed to catch up to the light, but it was then he realised a strange mysterious figure held the lantern, the person wore a black coat that hung down to his feet, with a hood covering half of his face. “Hello there… Lee SungYeol,” the man spoke rising up the lantern and pulled off his hood, revealing his face. SungYeol’s eyes grew wider, his heart was frightened as he took a few steps back, terrified. “Kim…MyungSoo?” he muttered under his breath, “Why are you here? Aren’t you dead?” “I wish I was,” L replied with a cold sigh, “Why did you come in here SungYeol?”

“I was here to help some look for you. To see if you were really under the Devil’s curse,”

“That’s funny, I’ve never heard of such thing,”

“If you’re alive then why aren’t back in the village, why are you still here?”

“I can’t go and find her,”

“Why? She’s been grieving over you for almost a year, don’t you think you should go back and make her happy?”

“Letting her see me won’t make her any better,”

“What are you talking about?”

“SungYeol, I’m no longer a human, but a demon,”

“Demon? The ones that eat souls?”

“Yes, you should leave, before I eat you,”

“If you’re a demon then what can you do to become a human?”

“You don’t need to know, leave,”

“I don’t want to see her suffering over you!”

“You can live a happy life with her! Just leave me in peace!”

“Even I were to go back and spend my entire life with her I know she’ll never forget you. L, just go back!”

“I can’t! I’m a demon! I don’t have any feelings!”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t have a heart,”

“Then would you become a human if you have a heart,”

“Yes, but I know you can’t find me a heart, now just leave,”

SungYeol watched as L turned away and headed off, but then SungYeol spotted something glistening within the rays of the moonlight hanging from L’s coat, quickly equipping it, SungYeol found himself staring down at a sharp silver knife. “What are you planning to do with that?” L asked turning back to face him. “L, I’ll give you my heart. After becoming human, you better give her the best life. If not I’ll come and kill you,” SungYeol said coldly as he held the knife firmly within the grasp of his hands, within seconds the knife pierced through his skin and into his heart. “Remember to love her,” he whispered as he closed his eyes as his lifeless body fell to the ground. Blood surged out as his body was left laying on the ground, with the cold wind heartlessly blowing past, piercing through the wound of his heart.  

*End of Third Person (SungYeol’s POV)

Your eyes fluttered open, you found yourself still sitting on the rooftop, with SungYeol’s embrace still around you. Elevating your hand up to your face, you felt tears falling from your eyes. “SungYeol, you really did suicide because of me… I’m really sorry,” you cried apologetically hugging him tightly. “I remember everything now, I did really love you,” SungYeol whispered weakly into your ear, “I love you, from before until now, I really love you.” “SungYeol,” you cried, “I’m sorry.” Suddenly SungYeol released his arms around you, he looked down into your eyes, leaning in forward, he then pressed his lips against your forehead as a tear trailed from his eyes and down your forehead. “I love you,” he said as you found him slowly fading. Trying to grip onto his hand, it then turned to dust, “SungYeol,” you horrifyingly cried trying hold onto him, but he just smiled before he completely disappeared into dust, “SUNGYEOL! PLEASE DON’T GO!!!” Your voice echoed through the cold dark night, you couldn't stop crying you wanted him to stay so badly, no matter how much you begged SungYeol was never going back, never in this would he ever exist again. Looking down at your hand you found a puzzle piece in the palm of your hand, tightly holding it, you couldn’t help but to cry even harder.

“So what would you change it to?”

“Umm… Can I wish for L and you to become human?”

“…*chuckle… That is impossible for me, I can never come back as human, but it would work for L,”

“But I don’t want you to leave,”

“In order to get the third puzzle piece you must pass me, either way I have to die,”

“SungYeol, isn’t there any other way?”

“I guess not,”

“There has to be something. You can’t die,”

“I’m sorry, but I have to die again,”

“Then I won’t get the third puzzle piece,”

“You can’t do that. Just grant L a human form,”

“But I-”

“There’s no point in me becoming human again,”

“Fine…*frown… I wish for L to become human,”

“…*smile… Your wish has been granted,”