Jang Sojin

The Little Mermaid

Dokyung was reading her book again. There was something she found complicated and decided to ask her seatmate. A fat girl who was munching her cookies gazed at her. “What is it, Dokyung-ssi-OMG-it’s Soyee! Let's hide, Dokyung-ssi~”

Dokyung couldn't say anything as her friend made her lower her head. Dokyung glimpsed up and saw a tall woman come inside. 

“What?” Dokyung asked.

“You don't need to hide.” The tall girl said as she shook hands with Dokyung. “I’m Soyee.”

Dokyung could only shake hands with her. Soyee commands Dokyung's friend to move to another seat and she did. Soyee sat next to her, making Dokyung flinch.

Dokyung reacted when Soyee shushes her and caressed Dokyung's face. To avoid any situations, Dokyung just stayed quiet and calmed.

+++

Dokyung was with her seatmate as Dokyung asked her of Soyee. Her seatmate sighed and spared her the details.

Her name was Jang Sojin, Soyee as they call her. She was the tallest classmate, almost as tall as Dokyung. She was also one of the most notorious, involving on riots and a Taekwondo master, even an all-boys school with the best fighters get scared of her. For her, she would do anything to protect the weak but students see it as a threat rather that an act of heroism. And recently, Dokyung was one of the people Soyee wanted to protect and she’d do anything to make Dokyung hers.

And speaking of the devil, Soyee came to their direction.

“Text me the answers for the assignment, got it?” Soyee said to Dokyung's classmate and she nodded.

Dokyung didn't like that kind of attitude. Dokyung's seatmate had to go ahead for an important meeting, leaving Dokyung with the delinquent.

Soyee caught her look and she pulled Dokyung close to her. “Damn…even your crescent smiles are cute.” Soyee mumbled. “I’m your husband now, pretty."

"What?" Dokyung snickered.

"Eat with me." Soyee said.

Dokyung had to be a good girl and nodded. Soyee was on her side and they went to the canteen to eat.

+++

Lunch was a little tense for Dokyung. While she and Soyee eat, students passing by them grow scared. One passed by and spilled on Soyee's uniform that Soyee raged and clenched her collar. Dokyung would calm her and Soyee obeyed for once.

Later, Soyee and Dokyung were going to the exit. Dokyung and Soyee went on their separate ways and Soyee smiled. Wtih Dokyung, it was the best day she had in years.

"Did you hear Dokyung-ssi tame the wild Jang Sojin?" She heard from a student.

"That's the goddess Dokyung. She can handle anyone. On the dark side, Sojin is lucky to get close to her." She heard from another. "I want to get close to her. Maybe she'll fall for me."

“Dokyungie won’t fall for your ways, idiot.” Soyee batted back. “If you will, deal with me…"

They ran for their lives. Soyee smirked and she was satsified that she showed them. She sighed and decided to text Dokyung.

+++

From: Jang the Delinquent

Have you drunken your milk? Don’t forget. It’ll help you grow taller. *chu* 

Dokyung sighed. She replied with a 'K' and turned in early.

+++

Dokyung sighed as she watches her friends go hoke. Dokyung sighed. Due to the delinquent Jang Sojin, she couldn’t spend time with her friends. She was forced to hang out with her. She didn’t want her to be provoked.

Soyee waved at Dokyung and she motions her to come over. Dokyung couldn’t argue and went to her.

It was going to be another long day.

That went on for a while until Dokyung wanted time for herself. Soyee gasped and held her hand, not wanting her to go.

“Can I go, Soyee?” Dokyung asked. “I have something to do. But don't be sad. We'll jang out again tomorrow.”

Soyee lets go. Dokyung thanked her and she went off.

+++

 Dokyung was studying Physics for an upcoming quiz. Dokyung read while downing her bottle of milk from the booth. Dokyung gulped the delicious dairy product when a ball hit her, causing her to almost spit onto her notebook.

Dokyung wiped and placed her bottle on the table when a senior high-schooler came closer.
“Omo-I’m so sorry, Dokyung-ssi.” She apologized as she got the ball.

“It’s fine.” Dokyung said back.

“It isn’t.” Dokyung heard a familiar voice.

She saw the senior cower and she saw a shadow overlapping the senior. Dokyung faced her back as she saw Soyee, her face all serious as she held the senior’s collar.

“I don’t give a if you’re older than me…but anyone who hurts Dokyungie, even in the smallest ways, is a threat to me.” Soyee gritted her teeth.

Dokyung sighed and calmed Soyee down, all while getting rid of her hold on the senior’s collar. With Nayoung’s fiasco before, she can’t bother to face another riot.

“Soyee, please calm down. She apologized already. She didn’t mean to.” Dokyung reasoned.

Soyee calmed and nodded. “All the same…”

The senior got the ball and apologized again, then ran for her life. Dokyung sighed as Soyee sat next to her, getting the bottle of milk, grinning. “I see you’ve sought my text of drinking milk.” She even held Dokyung’s head. “That’s my girl.”

Dokyung shrugs and continued reading. Soyee couldn’t help but put a hand on her chin and look at the goddess who was studying Physics. Dokyung noticed her presence and wondered of Soyee’s stare. “What is it, Soyee?"

Oh, how Soyee loved the way Dokyung said her name, smooth as honey. To save her composure and her moment with Dokyung, she points at her book. “Can we study together?”

“Why didn’t you say so?” Dokyung chuckled, making Soyee star-struck. “Here. Let’s share.”

Soyee read with Dokyung, all while she asked some questions. Soyee loved this moment with Dokyung and she felt proud she understood Physics now thanks to her Dokyungsus.

*ring*

“Let’s go. Classes will start soon.” Dokyung said as she got up.

“Don’t forget your milk, Dokyungie.” Soyee got her bottle.

“Thanks.” Dokyung grinned and went ahead.
Soyee couldn’t help the thump in her heart and the grin on her face as she followed Dokyung towards their classroom.

*hours later*

Dokyung sighed and wondered on what she would do with the bottles of milk on her extra pack. Admirers from other classes went to give the goddess bottles filled with her favourite milk drink. There were almost twenty bottles but only fourteen were left. Why? Because of Soyee.

It was a break. Dokyung was with Soyee. Soyee was like bodyguards to Dokyung as she drank. As admirers of Dokyung went to give her favourite milk drink, Soyee was provoked. She would get the bottles and shoo the admirers off. She almost poured the drinks onto the admirers’ heads but they didn’t want to provoke Dokyung so she had to be nice. She decided to drink, drinking almost five bottles.

The she bought one bottle, drew on the cap, and posted a note as they gave it to Dokyung. And with five bottles left plus one more, Dokyung had enough milk to last her a week. Just as she was about to go home, she saw Soyee all alone on the same spot she and her studied for Physics. Not only that, she saw her utterly bored.

“Soyee?” Dokyung called as Soyee paid attention right away.

“Dokyungie~” Soyee’s sad expression was gone in minutes.

Dokyung got closer and Soyee could admire her all over again. Dokyung got two bottles of milk without the post-its and gave one to Soyee. “Let’s drink, Soyee.”

Soyee grinned like Dokyung as they opened their bottles, clanked them, and drank. Soyee would’ve declined. It was from those admirers she loathed but it all changed because Dokyung gave it to her.
She enjoyed seeing Dokyung’s smiles and her company. And somehow, her heart was happy too.

Could this be love?

+++

Soyee was pulling herself out of the doo, smack ing the heads of imbeciles of students as she got to the door. Dokyung arrived and she makes a grand impression on the goddess.

“Shoo off.” Soyee hissed at a student then wrapped an arm around Dokyung. “Good morning, pretty.”

Dokyung could only sigh and greet back. Soyee was like a gentleman as she escorted Dokyung to her seat, kicking off a student to sit on her seat as she made a motion to sit next to Dokyung. 

Soyee cringed that Dokyung was cringing of her actions but she cannot do anything against it because it's her way to win Dokyung's heart.

Yes. The notorious Jang Sojin was in love with her.

+++

“Okay, dude. You’re sharing that. I will buy you that baking manual that you always wanted.” Soyee grinned.

The student could only nod and make a deal. Soyee lends a hand as she got a piece of paper from her. And it's no ordinary paper. It was a photo of Dokyung.

"Jackpot." Soyee grinned.

For Soyee, it had become her commitment to admire Dokyung in many ways when she wasn't busy. Also, it was her chance to get closer to Dokyung.

Soyee saw Dokyung by the usual spot, studying. She grew furious when she was with an admirer, the admirer sitting with Dokyung, giving her fresh milk. Soyee checked if Dokyung was triggered or the student did anything stupid but she sighed in relief when she saw Dokyung thank her and drank.

“Dokyungie.” Soyee came to her direction and saw the student bow down at the both of them before leaving.

“Hi, Soyee.” Dokyung greeted and Soyee loved her smiles. “Sit with me.”

Soyee held her admiration inside her thumping chest and sat with Dokyung. She gazed at her beautiful Dokyung, her head creasing as she looked pretty despite of it. Soyee looked at her and thought of giving something for her.

Soyee had an idea. “Excuse me for a while, Dokyungie. I’ll be right back.”

Dokyung nodded and Soyee went straight to the vending machine. She picked fresh milk for her drink and chocolate cookies for her snack. As she got the snacks out, she saw the same admirers drawing closer to Dokyung. Soyee’s ‘care radar’ has been triggered as she rushed to Dokyung’s table and faced them.

“Yah…” Soyee looked down on them like they were little ants. “What’s your business?”

“Uhh…we want to give something to Dokyung for-“

“Save your breaths, es.” Soyee interrupted, seeing Dokyung focused on her book. “Giving her something will make me kill you two.”

“Soyee?” Dokyung looked up as Soyee filled her view.

“It’s fine, Dokyungie ~” Soyee pats her head. “Go back and study.”

Dokyung nodded and focused. Once she was distracted, Soyee faced the two, clenching their collars as an addition. “You better get away from Dokyungie’s sight or else…”

They nodded and ran away. Soyee went back to Dokyung’s attention as she finished studying as she wowed of the milk and cookies.

“Are these for me?” Dokyung asked and Soyee nodded.

Dokyung got the bottle from the admirer when Soyee got it first; sliding the bottle she bought as she poured the content of the other bottle out.

“Soyee.” Dokyung pouts. “It’s still had some milk left-“

“But there’s more in this bottle.” Soyee grinned. “Here.” She opened the bottle and pack and got a cookie, aiming it at Dokyung’s mouth. “Eat some. It’ll give you some strength.”

Dokyung got the cookie in and ate. Soyee almost died of adorableness as Dokyung munched the cookie like a cute hamster.

“This is good~” Dokyung’s eyes gleamed and her cheeks still puffed of stuffing with cookies.

Soyee looked away, controlling her admiration and squeals.

, Dokyungie…why are you so cute? >////<

“Soyee?” Soyee came back to reality as Dokyung called her.

“Uhhh…you like the cookies?” Soyee asked.

“Yeah! Is this available at the vending machine?” Dokyung asked, grabbing another one.

“It is now.” Soyee grinned. “I’m glad you love it.”

Dokyung drank milk and ate again. Soyee sighed, putting a hand on her chin as she watches Dokyung eat. She saw Dokyung grin at her as she saw Dokyung aiming a cookie at .

“Eat with me.” She said.

Soyee opened and Dokyung fed her the cookie. Soyee wowed on how the cookie tasted. Dokyung was right. The cookies were delicious.
Despite of that, she felt Dokyung’s fingers almost close to her cheeks that she grabbed Dokyung’s hand, not wanting to let go.

“Soyee?” Dokyung wondered.

And Soyee lost it, inching Dokyung’s hand close to as she gave it a little kiss. Dokyung’s eyes dilated. The kiss took longer than expected as Dokyung felt one thump on her chest before Soyee lets go of her hand.

Soyee knew it was rather abrupt but her feelings for Dokyung were huge in which she cannot contain them. As her lips parted from Dokyung’s hand, she looked intently at Dokyung.

“Dokyungie…” Soyee places Dokyung’s hand on her own chest. “Please choose me…”

Dokyung didn’t get that. But somehow, she got a gist.

Soyee was doing the cute gesture and confessing her love for her.

+++

Dear Diary,

I wonder what I’m going to do today. Soyee is all over me like a predator peering at the prey. I need to settle this. If this continues, I could sa goodbye to freedom and what not.

I just hope I can do this .

Shim Dokyung

"Dokyungie?" Soyee came into her view.

Dokyung could ony nod. Soyee noticed Dokyung so pale. Soyee went closer to her.

"Yah, Soyee-"

"Call me Sojin." Soyee said as she held her neck, wincing of the sudden heat. "I'm taking you to the clinic."

Dokyung could only lean her head on Soyee's shoulders. Soyee felt her heart thump quickly, her hands cupping Dokyung's cheek. Soyee smiled on how precious she looked as she carried her on her back. Soyee rushed to it because Dokyung was her biggest concern.

"Don't worry, Dokyungie..." Soyee spoke. "...you'll be fine..."

+++

Dear Diary

Never in my life have I been pissed at admirers and never in my life have I been I awestruck for someone beautiful, especially Dokyungie’s beautiful face.

With the incident, I stuck myself to my commitment of protecting Dokyungie. And lately, I’ve been developing my feelings for Dokyungie and I bought something special for her.

I'm stepping up to win her. It’s about time I made mine, hoping, praying, that Dokyungie will choose me and love me…just as much as I love her.

Jang Sojin

Dokyung was making something in the lobby as Soyee came to see her. Soyee greets her with a grin. “Goood morning~~”

“Good morning, Soyee.” Dokyung chuckled.

“What’s this?” Soyee asked.

“Origami for my project.” Dokyung answered.

“This looks cute.” Soyee got a dog origami. “Can I have it?”

“I need that~” Dokyung whined.

Soyee raised her hand up. Dokyung got it but Soyee was quick. It was all fun and games for the two of them when someone stopped by their table.

Soyee had an argument with her and Dokyung coukd only sigh.

“You better not argue or else I’ll kick both your asses.” Dokyung mumbled.

The student nodded and decided to leave for Dokyung to do her work. Soyee? She stayed and went to sit next to Dokyung. Soyee hugs her from the back. 

“Take a little break, Dokyungie,” she said.

Dokyung just nodded as Soyee continued to hug her tight.

*hours later*

Dokyung was done with her origami. She looked to the side, seeing Soyee sleeping. Dokyung sighed, seeing some strips of paper by her face. Dokyung reached to get it off of her face. As she retracts her hand, Soyee woke up and held it.

Dokyung wondered when Soyee places Dokyung’s hand on her own face, feeling that touch warm her heart. Dokyung lets go and stood up.

“Come on. Let’s go out and eat.” Dokyung grinned.

Soyee smiled and nodded. Dokyung readies her stuff as she went with Soyee.

*days later*

Soyee was seeing Dokyung again and they were now at the same spot, sitting next to each other.

“You’re vibrant today.” Dokyung chuckled.

“Well…I…” Soyee searched for her pocket when she froze.

“Is everything okay?” Dokyung asked.

“Uhh…I left something by my locker.” Soyee said, getting up. “Stay here for a bit. I’ll be right back.”

Dokyung nodded and Soyee ran as quickly as she could towards her locker. As she got there, she hastily opened it, scurrying her hands inside for that one cute box. She found it and opened it, showing a necklace.

She bought it for Dokyung…and she’s giving it to her, her way of saying she loves her.

Soyee closed it, placed it in her pocket, and went back to the spot. When she got there, she wondered. Dokyung wasn’t there.

She felt fear. She looked around for Dokyung and was almost in brink of anger.

She told Dokyung to stay put but she didn’t. Why did Dokyung go? Where did she go?

“Soyee?”

Soyee faced to the left and there was Dokyung. Soyee went to her and hugged her closer to herself. Dokyung gasped but then, she pats Soyee’s back.

“I thought you just left…” Soyee mumbled.

“I went to the bathroom.” Dokyung said then she noticed Soyee’s worry. “I’m sorry I made you worry.”

Soyee broke from the hug, cupping Dokyung’s face. “Close your eyes.”

Dokyung obeyed. Soyee got the necklace out of the box and puts it on Dokyung. Dokyung was told to open her eyes and she saw the necklace with a sharp sign.

“Soyee…”

“It’s my expression of my love for you, Dokyungie…” Soyee hugs her again. “It’s my way of saying that my love for you is greater than you can ever imagine…and with that…I’ll do great things for you, Dokyungie…”

Dokyung couldn’t thank Soyee enough for this. But then, her world turned to a spin as Soyee cupped her face and inched her face closer.

“Choose me, Dokyungie…be mine…” Soyee mumbled then pressed her lips on Dokyung’s.

+++

Days went by and Dokyung and Soyee became a thing. With that revelation, speculations arise amd most of them were threats towsrds Soyee of sticking around Dokyung.

"The is at it again."

Soyee heard that mumble and she triggered. She would've reacted instantly but having a reputation of being Dokyung's girlfriend, she didn't want to cause trouble for her. She decided to shrug it off. But minutes passed and the bickering didn't stop. Soyee was annoyed.

"What did you just say, ?!" Soyee asked again.

"What I just said." The student snickered.

Soyee was about to deliver a fist when...

"Stop." Dokyung came and wondered of the scene. "Sojin-ah?"

Dokyung glared at the student and she went off scared. Dokyung faced Soyee and asked her of her actions.

"Dokyungie, I didn't mean to get provoked. I'm sorry..." Soyee apologized. 

Soyee hugged Dokyung tight. Dokyung hugged her back and patted Soyee's back, making her quiver and cry.

"It's okay, Sojin-ah. It's okay..." Dokyung said.

Dokyung could only face Soyee and wipe her tears away. She wouldn't thought that the notorious woman became her girlfriend and that she had a soft heart beneath an impression of aggressiveness. 

Dokyung wouldn't have decided and took view of what the students think but she did it out of love. 

She did it for Soyee.

+++

*gasp*

Soyee screamed as she got up. Dokyung was awaken as well as she went to Soyee and comforted her.

"What happened?" Dokyung yawned.

Soyee could only cower lightly as Dokyung patted her back. "Go back to sleep, Sojin-ah."

"I can't, Dokyungie..." Soyee mumbled.

"What was the nightmare about?" Dokyung asked. 

"I dreamt that you were battered by mysterious people and when I got to you, you died!" Soyee huffed.

"Sojin-ah...I-"

"It was awful!!" Soyee said, growing scared.

"Shh... Sojin-ah..." Dokyung hugs her. "It was just a nightmare. I'm okay..."

Dokyung's call and hug made Soyee feel safe. Naturally, she wasn't a girl full of emotions but she broke in front of her Dokyungie. She didn't mind. It was a privilege to break in down in front of her girl.

"Dokyungie..." Soyee leans on her shoulder. "Thank you. I don't know what I'd do without you and..." Soyee hugs her tight. "...I want you to know that I love you..."

Dokyung sighed at Soyee's soft side. It was unusually pleasant but she had to calm her tall giant this time. "It's okay. I love you too. Now go to sleep."

"I can't..." Soyee looks at her. "...please stay."

"Come on, Soyee. You can sleep on your own." Dokyung said.

"Please stay..." Soyee said one more time.

Dokyung sighed. She scooted closer and sat up on the bed, right next to Soyee. "Okay. I'll stay here...until you fall asleep."

Soyee and Dokyung had their stares. Soyee scooted closer and hugged Dokyung's waist, all while holding her hand. 

"Go to sleep now," said Dokyung.

"Promise me you'll stay." Soyee said.

Dokyung could only nod and lets Soyee hold her hand for as long as she wanted. Eventually, Soyee fell asleep. Dokyung chuckled on how Soyee's been acting. In fact, it will be the one thing she'll miss.

"Stay, Dokyungie..." Soyee mumbled.

Dokyung wanted to. But with her dreams, she couldn't.

*the next day*

Soyee had the best sleep of her life. She woke up with the presence of her love and she giggled, havinf a good look at her princess, her fingers caressing her cheek. She scooted closer so that Dokyung's head rested on her shoulder.

Dokyung was waking up yet Soyee didn't want her to go. She hugs her princess close without leaving any gaps.

"Dokyungie..." Soyee looks at her. "...stay a little longer."

Dokyung didn't argue and wrapped her arms around Soyee. Soyee's eyes dilated and she felt her heart pump quickly.

Nonetheless, she felt happy. She hugged Dokyung tighter and planned to be in bed with her for as long as Dokyung wanted.

She knew of Dokyung's dream and she knows they'll have to part one day. Despite of that, she didn't want to let go of Dokyung.

+++

Soyee woke up on another day and she sighed of being alone. Dokyung had gone overseas a few months ago and she was alone on their place.

Soyee couldn't do anything and start the day...