Kang Mina

The Little Mermaid

Usually, Dokyung was never the one to be attracted towards anyone, let alone show any interest towards anyone within first glance. But in this situation, she couldn't help herself as she stares at a girl from a distance.

She saw a cute girl, her hair tied, her cheeks all puffy, and her smiles that looked like sparkles in which her sight could ogle forever. Somehow, that girl went closer and everyone had their eyes on the two of them. That girl got to sit face to face with Dokyung and boy, did she had the same look Dokyung had?

“You looking at me~?” The with crescent eyes asked as she inched closer.

“Yes, I do…” Dokyung answered honestly.

The girl smiled as she got a chocolate bar and ate. She even broke a piece and gave one to Dokyung, inching it close to . Dokyung opened slowly and ate that piece.

"Is it delicious?" The girl asked.

Dokyung thought she was super cute. Dokyung nodded as she ate and the said girl giggled at her.

+++

Dokyung was chilling, drinking her favorite drink as her eyes wander around watching different walks of life. Her sight stopped at the same girl as she remembered the less bullty convention about the said girl.

To the typical students, she was the cutie Kang Mina. Like any person, food was her life. She cared less of dieting because to be completely honest, she still looked pretty and cute. She would hoard stashes of food with a bag and would eat when she had time. But recently, they said that seeing Shim Dokyung made her conscious with how she looked and of her diet.

Dokyung thought it was almost retarded to feel that way. But then, she stopped at her trail of thought as she saw her talking to a classmate.

“Mirae! My bar!” Mina motions her hand and Mirae tossed the bar of chocolate.

Then, Mina went closer to Dokyung and sat next to her. They exchanged greetings and Mina hugged her and cupped her cheeks, causing some witnesses to whine. Mina did a pout for Dokyung and she smiled, making Mina admire her so much. “Your smile is so cute."

"You think so?" Dokyung asked.

"Yes." Mina grinned. "Now come and have lunch with me."

Dokyung didn't have the time to resist as she was pulled up to stand and then towards the canteen.

+++

As they got their trays full and ready to dig in, they had lunch. Mina was pigging herself and would feed Dokyung. Dokyung and Mina spent the time getting to know more of each other that they even have each other's numbers.

And when Mina went home with some fellow food enthusiasts, she suddent squealed while she got her phone.

"Heol...what are you doing, Kang Mina?" One of them asked.

“Dokyungie replied to me!” Mina cheered. “She said I should eat well. Haha…it’s confirmed.” Mina presents herself proudly. “I’m Dokyungie’s future wife.”

"Get real..." The other chuckled. "Dokyung-ssi is thw goddess herself."

Mina stuck a tongue and texted Dokyung.

+++

FROM: UNKNOWN

Dokyungie, my baby and my love, did you eat dinner? You’ve better eaten your dinner. I don’t want to see my baby Dokyungie starve. Have some good rest too, okay? I wuv u <3 :*** - Mina

Dokyung had her eyes dilated as she read the message. She couldn't believe the person she was staring at a while just sent a message that sounded so tingly and lovely in a sense.

"Aish... I'm delusional again." She sighed and decided to sleep early.

+++

A day without getting enough rest last night doesn't help with the mood for Dokyung. The neighbor's cat was having a concert which wrecked her body alarm. She arrived at school like a zombie that the students still found so pretty.

She got to her locker and was greeted by a crescent smiling girl. "Good morning, Dokyungie~"

"Mmm...morning, Mina." Dokyung greeted as she went to get some books.

“Dokyungie…” Mina mumbled, sensing that Dokyung was a bit frustrated.

Dokyung noticed Mina's expression and coughed lightly. "Hey. Don't give me that look. Why don't we go inside the classroom together?"

Mina's smile was back as she held Dokyung's arm. The timing of the bell was impeccable as they went towards their classroom for their first class of the day.

+++

Dokyung was walking around, eating her favourite granola bar. She made to stop by the vending to buy another one when she saw Mina getting into an argument with some fellow juniors.

Dokyung got a coin and dropped it into the machine, selecting a chocolate granola bar. She waited and caught glimpses of a junior hitting Mina. Dokyung sensed something bad that she got her bar and went closer, slowly.

“Omo-Dokyung-ssi.” The juniors greeted.

Mina saw her and tackled her for a hug.“Dokyungie~~ they won’t give me back my stash of food. Please do something~”

“What the heck, what authority do you have to hug Dokyung-ssi like that?” One of them batted.

“Hello? I have a standing and I dominate you guys. Besides, Dokyungie hangs out with me~” Mina batted back.

“Dokyung-ssi, Mina here lost a bet and in exchange, we get her stash of food as a reward.” The second student said.

“But it’s not fair~ It’s mine~” Mina whined and held onto Dokyung’s arm. “Dokyungie, please do something~”

“Okay…” Dokyung huffed. “What bet? And why did Mina lose?”

“She made a bet that you will date her yesterday but as far as we all know, you don’t date anyone, right Dokyung-ssi?” The first one said.

Dokyung places a hand on her face of this predicament. How could she even date? She hasn’t found someone yet. She looked at Mina as she blushed hard, looking away, her hold on her arm was still intact.

“Well technically, you did lose.” Dokyung said to Mina then she whispers. “Just let them have your stash. I’ll date you today and buy you a bigger stash of food. Chocolate, chips, drinks, whatever you want.”

Mina gleamed and nodded. “Okay, es. Have the stash.” Mina cupped Dokyung’s cheek. “I got me a better prize.”

The two were whining as Mina stuck a tongue and dragged Dokyung with her. Dokyung stuck to her word and asked Mina of her favourite treats so that she can settle a budget.

“There’s this convenience store that sells stashes of food in one bunch, which has all my favourites. I usually buy the smallest one since I’m broke.” Mina teased. “Just buy me that and I’ll be at ease.”

“Okay, Mina. Lead the way,” said Dokyung.

+++

Mina was like a little kid as she pulled Dokyung to the stash section. Dokyung looked at the various sizes and found the smallest one. Then, she would gaze at the biggest one. Dokyung got the smallest and biggest and Mina cheered lightly as they got to the cashier.

Dokyung got to pay as the cashier giggled lightly every time Dokyung answered. Mina grew jealous and hugged Dokyung tight. “Dokyungie~”

“Is she your girlfriend?” The cashier asked Dokyung.

“Yes, I am.” Mina answered. “Dokyungie is mine.”

Dokyung gasped lightly. Nonetheless, the transaction was settled as Dokyung carried the bags. Mina was going out of the store excitedly and would cling onto Dokyung like she was her girlfriend, just like what she declared onto that flirty cashier.

“What was that a while ago?” Dokyung asked.

“That cashier was flirting with you~” Mina whined. “I don’t want anyone flirting with you. Just as so you know,  I'm provoked when my targets are targeted by someone else.” Mina pokes her cheek. “Even with my crush…”

Dokyung sighed and considered. That gaze made Mina go all soft, her cheeks all red.

Dokyungie, stop that. I’ll fall for you… :3

“You’re still taking me out on a date, right?” Mina asked her.

“Of course.” Dokyung nodded. “You have my word.”

+++

They were in an amusement park, prior to Mina’s suggestion. Dokyung was like the financer, paying for the snacks and rides Mina picked. It would reduce her budget for the week but she promised Mina and she’s doing it.

Mina pictured Dokyung as a goddess, someone with a lot of beauty. But she didn’t expect Dokyung to act so carefree. Not only that, she was kind and generous. A lot of students admired Dokyung, even herself. She would’ve thought her bugging lost Dokyung’s cool but she considers it. Dokyung was everything Mina wanted for a crush.

Mina and Dokyung sat by the benches, seeing the wonderful sunset. Mina wowed then gazed at Dokyung, finding her so pretty.

“Dokyungie?” Mina called.

“Yeah”?” Dokyung responded.

“Thanks for today.” Mina hugged her tight, her head leaning on her firm shoulders.

“You’re welcome.” Dokyung responded, wrapping one arm around her.

*badump*

Mina opened her eyes and wrapped herself around Dokyung tighter. She gulped as her heart was pounding. She was also praying that Dokyung didn’t hear her heartbeat. She was so happy for this opportunity and she also had dibs, hoping that she can really call Dokyung as hers.

+++

Mina and Dokyung went back to school. Mina thanked her for the date and the treats. Dokyung gave one pack to Mina and Mina gasped. Dokyung gave her the biggest stash.

“Dokyungie…I…” Mina was too flattered.

“You take it.” Dokyung grinned. “That way, you have a stash to last the month. I insist. It’s my little gift for you.”

Mina nodded and hugged her again. “Thank you, Dokyungie~”

“You’re welcome, Mina.” Dokyung replied as she hugged her back.

The hug lasted longer and Mina didn’t want to let go. She had to as Dokyung’s bus came. Mina held her arm before she could go. “Do you have to go home now?”

“Yeah. I still need to do something important.” Dokyung answered.

“See you tomorrow?” Mina asked.

“See you tomorrow.” Dokyung nodded and boarded the bus.

Mina watched the bus leave with her precious Dokyung. She looked down and saw the big pack and she felt her heart pound. Now, Mina wished that what she said to that cashier was real, that Dokyung was hers. But wait, it was all too sudden…

Could this be love?

+++

“Yah! Let me see Dokyungie first!” Mina pouted as she made way for herself.

In every morning before Dokyung would come, admirers would line up to greet the woman. Mina had been part of it as she shoos some of them off to be the first one to greet her. 

Dokyung arrives and Mina ran to hug her. "Good morning~"

"Good morning." Dokyung hugged her back.

Mina's heart pounded. With that, her conclusion was clear.

She was totally in love with Dokyung.

+++

Dokyung was still a goddess to most students and Mina was still admiring her almost everyday, never missing a day that she gets to spend with Dokyung.

Mina saw Dokyung by the lobby and got herself a drink for her. She was about to go closer when a hand snatched it from her.

“Yah, unnie.” Mina reprimanded. “That’s my milk.”

“Wow, your milk when it has the name of Dokyung?" She mumbled. “You've been too much of a bother to her. I'll be giving it to her.”

Mina was whining. The senior got the milk and took it away when she froze as Dokyung was in front of them.

"Dokyungie-"

"For you, Dokyung-ssi." The senior handed the milk to her.

Mina grew mad. Dokyung thanked her, making Mina triggered. But then, Dokyung wraps an arm around Mina and they walked together, leaving the senior dumbfounded.

"I know you were the one who bought this." Dokyung said. "Thank you, Mina."

Mina lowered her head and smiled, blushing madly. That event might've been unexpected but in the end, she scores another moment with Dokyung.

+++

Mina saw Dokyung walking around with her friend, Kei. Mina loved to see her.

“Dokyungie~” Mina went to hug her.

“Another admirer, Dokyung?” Kei asked. “Damn, you’re taking it to a whole new level.”

“Hey, Mina...” Dokyung hugged her back.

“Kei-ssi.” Mina and Kyureum hi-fived then faced Dokyung. “Dokyungie~ have lunch with me."

Kei pushed Dokyung towards Mina and ran. Dokyung cussed lightly and Mina giggled on how cute Dokyung was. Dokyung faced her and sighed. “Mind me of Kei. She can be a sometimes.”

Mina laughed and went with Dokyung to the canteen.

+++

Dokyung was witnessing with the rest of the class of a little dance-off by their arts teacher. Everyone wanted Dokyung to dance but she couldn’t. She had a sprain on her ankle.

Kyureum led the rest. Dokyung never thought Mina was one of thedancers and she wowed of their performance. Mina was the one Dokyung was the most impressed with, even everyone gasped on how Mina did a y dance. Mina went closer to Dokyung and taunted her with her y moves. Coos and gasps surrounded the room as Mina ended with a kiss on Dokyung’s forehead.

Dokyung was frozen. Kei pats her back as Dokyung eased from that incident. Everyone gasped of what Mina did and Mina just giggled.

“What the was that?" Her fellow member asked. “You’re the baby, Mina. I told you no y concepts.” 

Mina just chuckled. “Oh, that was just the beginning.”

+++

Dancers from Class A were assigned to present something for the school’s foundation day. Kei was obliged to lead them as the rest were obedient in following Kyureum’s choreography. Dokyung was able to cope, just like the rest. For Mina, she was competitive to impress Dokyung.

Kei and the rest had their breaks as she formulated the solos and duos to perform for the starting point of the whole dance. The dancers whined since Mina and Dokyung were paired up. Dokyung didn’t mind but Mina sought this as the opportunity for her next phase of her move to win Dokyung.

“Trouble Maker’s Now?” Dokyung asked. “Wouldn’t it be…”

“This is an all-girls school, Dokyung. That wouldn’t be a fuss.” Kei said.

“No , huh?” Dokyung grinned.

“Yes. No indeed.” Kei grinned back. “Alright. Back to practice…”

+++

The dancers were performing and everyone wooed, especially when Dokyung danced. Everyone had their duos and solos and came in Dokyung and Mina’s performance. They wowed for the both of them and they never thought Mina could dance ily. As the dance ended, the lights dimmed…and from there, Mina initiated her plan.

Mina cupped Dokyung’s face and gave her a passionate kiss. Dokyung froze again, feeling her heart thump out of the sudden act. Mina had to hum and wrap herself around Dokyung then broke when the lights came back. Dokyung came back to reality, bowing with Mina and they went backstage.

“Mina…your cheeks are red.” Her classmate noticed it and it hit her. “You…OMFG-did you kiss Dokyungie?”

“You didn’t…” Kei was shocked.

Mina just smirked. “Oh, I did…”

+++

Dear Diary,

Admiring Mina was something I did but it turned oit platonic. But then, I didn't expect that she'd feel it too. She was expressive and attractive in some way. 

Now that I've seen it, should I start to regain my hidden feeling again?

Shim Dokyung

Dokyung walked by the bus stop to get a ride to school. She aboarded a bus and was shocked to see Mina. She waved and saved a vacsnt spot for her. Dokyung nodded and sat down.

"You live around here?" Dokyung asked.

"No. I just moved to another apartment and I go within the same route." Mina said. "Dokyungie."

"Yeah?" Dokyung responded.

"Let's go home together from now on." Mina suggested.

"Uhh...sure." Dokyung nodded.

+++

Dear Diary

Man…what am I supposed to do for Dokyungie?

As always, I think of a way to win her. Honestly, I was always thinking of it, ever since I started to like Dokyung. But that changed. Now, I love her.

I’m going to leave a big impression in her that she will always be reminded that I love her.

Kang Mina

Dokyung was in for a big surprise when the whole class gathered up and greeted the goddess.
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHIM DOKYUNG~~”

“Happy Birthday, Dodo~” Kei presented a painting meme of Dokyung.

“Yah!” Dokyung was shocked yet she laughed of Kei’s teasing gift. “That’s just nuts but thank you. You really are my best friend.” She remarked.

Kei just shrugged. Classes went on like the usual. The teachers greeted Dokyung a Happy Birthday and the goddess was honoured. Now, she was at the canteen with her closest friends, having lunch together while giving Dokyung her presents.

Dokyung loved the gifts so much and she thanked them a lot. As she dug in with her friends, she was stopped by a peck on the cheek. Her friends gasped as they saw Mina.

“Annyeong~” Mina gave a little wave then focused on Dokyung. “Hi, Dokyungie."

“Oh, hello...” Dokyung smiled.

Mina lowered her head as she hands a box to Dokyung. “Happy Birthday~”

“Omo-thanks…” Dokyung was flattered and accepted the box.

Mina sat next to her, admiring Dokyung as she opened the box. Dokyung got the gift out, a T-shirt, but what shocked her was the print. It had a pinwheel on the left side of the chest and at the back was her name and Mina’s being shipped.
“Hey, there’s also ‘Love Duo’ marked by the sleeve,” said Kei.

The rest cooed. Dokyung was still shocked and Mina was grinning cutely.

“Try it on, Dokyungie~” Mina pouted.

“Uhh…okay…” Dokyung nodded and went to the bathroom to change.

+++

Dokyung could scratch her head as everyone’s gaze was on her. Some wowed of Dokyung’s y body, some were jealous of Mina for her little gift, while the others could only gasp. For Dokyung’s other squad, they gasped too. For Mina, she was applauding and went to hug the birthday girl tight.

“You look so pretty~ my love~~” Mina does aegyo and a heart gesture.

“Well, it does look neat.” Dokyung could only laugh her way out of the embarrassment.

“It’s good, right?” Mina asked, squishing Dokyung’s cheeks.

Dokyung chuckled and continued to enjoy her special day with friends and with Mina.

+++

Mina did a surprise for Dokyung. Dokyung never thought it could really happen but then, she was so happy, shedding a bit of tears and loosening herself up and had a great time with her.

With their date, there were also an additional gift for Dokyung. 

"Try to guess.” Mina grinned.

"I thought it was just the shirt,” said Dokyung

“Oh no, there’s still more.” Mina grinned. 

+++

In the terrace, Mina and Dokyung had their moment. Dokyung looked at the sky, wowing of the countless stars flooding the black-bluish atmosphere. Mina adored seeing Dokyung smile as she got something from her pocket.

“Dokyungie~” She called and her goddess paid attention. “Close your eyes.”

Dokyung obeyed. Mina went to Dokyung’s back and puts something on Dokyung’s neck. Mina slowly locks it into place, caressing Dokyung’s soft hair, adding a kiss on her head. She faced Dokyung again, whose eyes still closed.

“You can open them now.”

Dokyung had her vision back and she felt something on her neck. She got a look at it, seeing a round stone with a pinwheel design in the middle.

“It’s a locket, Dokyungie. Open it.” Mina smiled at her.

Dokyung got it open and had her eyes dilated. Inside was a picture of herself on the right, and Mina’s on the left. Dokyung found both pictures adorable when she felt a hand holding hers and another closing the locket.

Dokyung looked up and Mina’s face was inches away from her own. Dokyung couldn’t help but look onto Mina’s eyes as she felt Mina’s forehead onto herself.

“Mina…”

“My love for you is as great as the stars in the sky, Dokyungie…” Mina grabbed Dokyung’s hand and placed it on her chest. “And my heart…it’s beating for you…”

Dokyung felt that too but she can’t admit it to herself. She felt hands on her cheek and the next thing she knew, she felt lips beyond hers.

That thump in Dokyung’s heart fell into place as she hears it beyond recognition. And when Mina’s hands roam down her body, she felt as if Mina heard it too. The time for the need of air would come and they broke. Dokyung felt hazy, her heartbeat unstoppable.

“I love you, Dokyungie…” Mina confessed as she looked onto Dokyung’s eyes.

Dokyung felt Mina’s lips beyond hers again. And from that point in time, the sudden beat of her heart meant one thing as memories flood onto her brain.

She was in love with Mina.

+++

Mina and Dokyung shared a relationship that no one could ever break. But then, aspirations wrecked that relationship. 

"Yah!" Mina faced Dokyung. "You're not leaving!"

"Mina...I need to." Dokyung clarified. "I wanted this my whole life."

"What about us? What about me?" Mina asked. "Dokyung, what was I to you?"

You're the one that I love...but you can't wait for me forever. 

Dokyung didn't answer Mina and walked away.

+++

Mina had gone gloomy. Seeing a picture of her and Dokyung made it worse.

Dokyung aspired to study overseas and her return was inevitable. Mina didn't want it. She wanted Dokyung to stay. But then, Dokyung had decided. Mina wanted to be happy for her but she didn't want to gamble a life without her.

It was 12 PM. Dokyung's flight was at 3 PM. Mina huffed and prepared herself.

She wanted to convince Dokyung to stay one last time.

+++

Mina got to the airport and was keen to where Dokyung would be. She got to the waiting area and Dokyung was there. Dokyung noticed Mina that she went to her, almost frantic.

"Mina, what are you doing here?" Dokyung asked.

"Please stay with me." Mina pleaded. "If not, let me come with you."

"Mina, you can't gamble your life here. Your dream is here." Dokyung said.

"No...not a dream without you..." Mina sniffled as she cupped Dokyung's cheeks.

Mina knew it was a loss. She could only hug Dokyung for the last time. Because to her, she lved Dokyung with all her heart.

That's why sometimes, it's hard to let go.