Kim Sejeong

The Little Mermaid

School. It was hell for some people yet most of the norm would see it as a temple of knowledge and a training ground in preparation for the cruel world called society.

For Shim Dokyung, it was inevitable. As she was new, she gained popularity of her good looks and skills. She was almost like a goddess anyone could fall for. And when Dokyung sat foot in an all-girls school filled with students who were head over heels the moment they laid eyes on her, Dokyung felt flatterred, albeit ty.

“Mind them for their behaviour.” A girl with an Ahjussi like voice got their arms off of Dokyung. “Hey there, pretty~”

Dokyung would've thought the said girl was decent. However, she was almost like the rest. Dokyung could only wave as she went on with the usual classes.

+++

Dokyung was having her peace and quiet in a field, all while she read a book. But with the disturbance from a little fandom, she couldn't concentrate. That had to go worse when the girl who told that she was pretty, joined in.

According to some students, she was GodSejeong. But for Dokyung, she'd rather call her by her real name, Kim Sejeong, the Ahjusshi. She had a voice of an angel’s but she was a flirt. They say Sejeong can be approachable and considerate although she only devotes herself to her dreams…now to Dokyung as well…

Dokyung felt a presence by her side and there was a fangirl. She got a piece of cake and wanted to let Dokyung have a taste. Dokyung thought it was too abrupt but she agreed. She was about to take a bite when someone took the cake. The said fangirl gulped and made way, leaving that certain someone to do her work.

“I’m feeding her.” Sejeong batted at the fangirl then smiled at Dokyung. "Here, pretty. Eat some."

Dokyung tried and boy, did she like the cake? She thanked Sejeong for doing the gesture but mostly made comments towards the fangirl. After the whole situation, Dokyung decided to get to class. For Sejeong, she grinned and followed the goddess.

Dokyung could only sigh. It was going to be a long day.

+++

Sejeong wasn't the type of person to hate but hearing them say stuff about Dokyung, she can get pretty jealous. There was one time Sejeong heard someone wanting to date Dokyung and she blew up a fuse.

“When you guys go out somewhere, I’m going to take Dokyungie away and we'll go on a date.” Sejeong batted.

Dokyung witnessed it and she wondered. The girls grinned and bowed as Sejeong faced her goddess. She smiled and bowed too, all while doing her Ahjusshi-like gestures. Dokyung could only bow back and go to her seat. Sejeong took the chance to sit with her. For Dokyung, she might remember what Sejeong said but it was best to close the topic off.

+++

Dokyung would've gone with the usual routine before resting but she could only gasp of a sudden sound resonating from her phone. She sighs and picks it up, seeing a message from an anonymous.

From: UNKNOWN
I imagine you’re wearing a y set of pajamas. Nonetheless, wear something that comforts you. Good night, Dokyungie~ <3 – Sejeong

"What in the..." Dokyung mumbled. "...how y."

Dokyung types something before putting it down and going to bed.

+++

Dokyung was a considerate person but she wouldn't have the thought to meddle on arguments but seeing fangirls fight over her, Dokyung didn't want them to argue. She managed to calm them down and cease the argument but one of them was still mad. Not wanting to hurt Dokyung, the said student went outside and ran.

Dokyung wanted to comfort her when Sejeong was in front of her, stopping her. 

“Let her cool down.” Sejeong said, understanding those actions. “Meddling could create a big shock for her. Let’s leave her for a while.”

For the first time, Dokyung seemed to agree with Sejeong. Sejeong smiled and held Dokyung's hand for comfort. 

"So I was wondering..." Sejeong began. "...let's eat together."

Dokyung didn't decline. After all, it was food and she wasn't that all too oppressive to say no to Sejeong.

+++

Dokyung became the talk of the classroom as she was respected of her bravery during the riot. Dokyung thanked them and told them to leave it behind because it has been done. Dokyung got to her seat and she saw a piece of banana bread. She loved banana bread and ate it.

While she munched, she saw a note, reading:

Good morning, my Dokyungie. I hope you’ve been thinking of me, just as I am with you. *chu* - God Sejeong

Dokyung almost spits the bread. She gulped, got some water to drink, and kept the rest of the bread for later. Classes start and she decided to shrug the message off and focus.

*at the canteen*

Dokyung was going to have lunch when someone called her. She looked around and there was Sejeong. Dokyung pointed at herself and Sejeong nodded. Seeing the long line, Dokyung sighed and sat with Sejeong. She saw a tray of food which was her usual order in the canteen.

“How did you…” Dokyung gasped.

“I stalked you on Facebook.” Sejeong grinned. “Also, I asked the person in charge of what your favourite foods were.” Sejeong moved the tray closer to Dokyung. “It’s for you.”

Dokyung found Sejeong’s actions weird. Nonetheless, she thanked Sejeong for the food and they ate lunch together.

*three hours later*

Dokyung was at the bus stop. It was raining hard. Luckily, she got an umbrella. She saw some students sharing umbrellas as other walked into the rain.

And out of luck, Sejeong was one of those people as she got to shelter in the bus stop, drenched.

“Hi, Dokyungie~” Sejeong winked.

“For goodness sake, why did you even…” Dokyung got a face towel and wiped her. “It’s like someone took you on a speedboat.”

Sejeong froze as she heard her heart beating quickly. Dokyung sighed as she continued to wipe Sejeong until she was barely dry enough. Dokyung then placed the towel around Sejeong’s neck. “Keep the towel. You might need that when you get home.”

Dokyung’s bus came as she rushed and waved Sejeong goodbye. As the bus left, Sejeong remembered Dokyung’s precious face as she got her seat. Sejeong looked at the towel Dokyung gave. She gave it a whiff and it smelled of water and Dokyung, making her blush.

And at that, her heart thumped of this little gesture…

Could this be love?

+++

Sejeong was fiddling her pencil as she waits for a special someone to arrive at the room. There were a lot of fangirls gathering up as the person came inside. One of them wanted to give her something when Sejeong triggered.

“Hey!” Sejeong reacted.

Dokyung wondered as Sejeong held her hand and escorted her to a seat next to her own, just like a gentleman. 

Sejeong's gesture would've been questionable but it was a gesture that made one thing clear.

And it was that she's in love with Shim Dokyung.

+++

Another time passed yet Dokyung's fame hadn't faded. For now, everyone was ogling of Dokyung silently as she was listening to music while studying.

Sejeong would hear those whispers and would be triggered like the usual. One even made a bribe on who will get to have Dokyung when Sejeong batted in.

“Is there some competition I’m sensing?” Sejeong glared. “If this is about Dokyung, I’m in.”

+++

Sejeong was up for relays. Admirers were there, squealing, seeing Sejeong flex and showing her a bit muscular yet feminine body. Some students were there cheering but their screams released as they saw their goddess.

Dokyung was also up for relays and will be competing with Sejeong. Dokyung was getting ready for the relays as someone got her a bottle of water.

“Dokyung, off with the jacket. It’s hot today,” said the teacher.

Dokyung nodded and took off her jacket as everyone squealed. Dokyung was really tall and she was tying her hair in a bun. Sejeong had open, wowing of Dokyung’s figure: the broad shoulders everyone adored, the y waist, and that goddess look that she and the rest ogled for.

“Shim, Kim, on your positions.”

Dokyung and Sejeong got ready and as the bang was heard, they sprinted. Sejeong was agile with her running as Dokyung kept a steady pace. Sejeong and Dokyung were neck to neck, with Sejeong looking to the side, seeing Dokyung run.

Sejeong gulped as beads of sweat coursed Dokyung’s body. She also saw her side profile, just like a goddess. She looked down, perking on Dokyung’s y figure and a that made Sejeong bleed onto her nose.

Sejeong got distracted and tripped herself. Dokyung noticed and went back to help Sejeong out. Sejeong got a close look at Dokyung’s chest area and she gagged herself, not wanting to feel of the beautiful sight in front of her.

Sejeong shook her head and ran with Dokyung, ending the relay with a draw. Sejeong panted as Dokyung was almost at their direction.

“I’m collecting Dokyungie’s sweat.” A student smirked as she got her handkerchief.

“I got something better.” Another grinned as she got her face towel.

Sejeong got them off and went closer to Dokyung and got her handkerchief. “Dokyungie…you’re sweating.”

Sejeong got her hanky and wiped Dokyung’s sweat off. Dokyung thanked Sejeong for the approach, getting a towel and wrapping it around Sejeong’s head.

“Dokyung~ lets goooo~!” A friend yelled.

“Thanks again, Sejeong.” Dokyung said.

Sejeong inched closer and kissed her cheek then d her .

Dokyung would’ve been offended but her friend was already calling for her. Dokyung shrugged that off for a while and went with her for lunch.

+++

Dear Diary,

I wonder what I’m going to do today. Meeting Sejeong wasn't that bad but it's almost inevitable. Sometimes, I wonder why she does that. Sejeong is a good person but sometimes, her presence makes me speculate. It's weird. Why would I speculate someone ordinary like her?

Nonetheless, maybe I should just shrug that off.

Shim Dokyung

Dokyung looked up and wondered as Sejeong was gazing at her. Not only that, her cheeks were so red. Sejeong noticed her and looked away, her blush still visible.

"Sejeong." Dokyung called and Sejeong faced her slowly. "Is everything okay?"

"Y-Yes..." Sejeong stuttered. "It's just that..." Sejeong gulped. "...you're so gorgeous."

"Uhh...thanks." Dokyung spoke and went back to read.

Sejeong could only admire Dokyung again as she sat and looked at her read throughout the course of the day.

+++

Dear Diary

It would’ve made sense that I was one heck of a flirt. There were often times I hung out with admirers, dated almost all of them, and even had an attempt of having a one-night stand with one of them.

But now, I stopped. It was weird. I was never like this. I guess my heart has finally settled itself with one person.

That person was Dokyungie. With some students attempting of winning her heart, I swore to make my move that will make Dokyungie mine.

Kim Sejeong

“Sejeong, pretty girl at your front…” A cute girl mumbled.

Sejeong looked at the front and saw someone her friend was talking about. But then, she focused her gaze on a girl by her back.

“You’re right…” Sejeong ogled. “She really is pretty.”
“Not Dokyung-ssi.” The girl moves Sejeong’s head to the far right. “Her.”

“The heck. Her?” Sejeong flipped out. “Well, she is pretty…but Dokyungie’s prettier.”

“Weird…” Her friend raised an eyebrow. “You ogle on any girl you see, Sejeong. What’s with the change?”

“I’m in love…” Sejeong grinned as she gazed at a focused Shim Dokyung. “I’m truly, madly, deeply in love with Dokyungie.”

*at the classroom*

It was dismissal but the class stayed to chill before the face another weekend. Dokyung and her seatmate were talking as everyone gazed at them.

Students looked intently at Dokyung. For Sejeong, she was ogling, almost ‘collecting her drool’.

“What happened to flirting, Sejeong?” Her friend asked.

“That’s over thanks to Dokyungsus.” Sejeong mumbled.

“Really?” She raised an eyebrow. “If it is, go and approach her without triggering her seatmate."

Sejeong was an idiot and with her friend daring her to do something that would jeopardize Dokyung and her friend's talk, Sejeong went directly towards them, causing everyone to gasp.

Dokyung noticed Sejeong’s presence and lets the girl sit next to her. Sejeong cheered lightly and Dokyung never thought Sejeong has the brightest smile. Her friend noticed Sejeong but somehow, she wasn’t triggered.

“You came?” Dokyung asked.

“I want to talk with you two, Dokyungie.” Sejeong grinned. “Mostly to you, Dokyungie.”

“Why didn’t you say so?” Kyureum gleamed.

Sejeong was safe from Kyureum. And now, she was glad that she can finally have time with Dokyung.

*days later*

From: Kim Sejeong
I miss you, my Dokyungie…

“Who’s that?” Her seatmate asked.

“Sejeong…” Dokyung answered.

“How can she miss you? She’s in front of you!” She ranted at Sejeong.

Dokyung shushed her. Dokyung calms Jeongmi and texted Sejeong back.

From: Dokyungie <3
I miss you, too. But stop this, please. I agree with Jeongmi. It’s insensible. But thank you…

Sejeong grinned and stopped, looking intently at Dokyung this time.

The bell rang. They did the usual routine of staying for a bit. For Sejeong, she followed Dokyung outside, joining her to get some fresh air.

“Someone’s happy.” Dokyung noticed Sejeong’s endless smiles.

“I’m happy because I get to see you every day.” Sejeong confessed.

Dokyung just nodded and watched the full view, seeing the nice look of the university with the students in their own walks in life. For Sejeong, she couldn’t help but look at Dokyung. For her, she was a pretty as any beautiful thing.

“What’s with the gaze, Sejeong?” Dokyung noticed her stare. “Is there something on my face?”

“What? I love looking at beautiful people.” Sejeong said, inching closer. “And you’re the most beautiful person I’ve seen.”

Dokyung chuckled and Sejeong wraps an arm around her, making Dokyung wonder. Dokyung felt her head leant on Sejeong’s shoulder, making the pose a little awkward due to their height gap.

“Yah, Kim Sejeong…what are you…”

“This is my move.” Sejeong whimsically said. “I’m going to show to the world that I’m no flirt and that I love you and only you.”

“Can I at least sit down? My neck’s starting to hurt.” Dokyung spoke.

Sejeong lets go right away and Dokyung sat on the balcony. With Sejeong standing, she was now taller. Dokyung leans her head on Sejeong’s shoulder more comfortably and Sejeong grinned towards the beautiful Dokyungsus.

Sejeong reached for Dokyung’s hand and held it tight. Dokyung didn’t mind as she felt Sejeong’s fingers intertwine. For Sejeong, this has been her best chance.

I love you, Dokyungie… was all Sejeong thought.

+++

Sejeong would've been all manly and be the one to protect Dokyung from anything. But with the height and all, it was awkward. And because Sejeong was beginning to fall in love with Dokyung, she had gone soft and even acted all lady-like.

For now, she was with Dokyung. She had given tge goddess something: a sketchpad with drawings of her and her only.

"Sejeong...I didn't know you could draw. You're the best." Dokyung spoke.

"Really?" Sejeong asked as her eyes gleamed. "Well..." She lookes away for a bit before facing Dokyung. "...it's a gift for you because I want to confess something."

Sejeong got down on one knee as she held Dokyung's hand and kissed it. "Shim Dokyung, will you be my girlfriend?"

Dokyung gulped as a thump in her heart greeted her. To be completely honest, she had liked Sejeong too but with other priorities, she couldn't think about that for quite sometime until Sejeong confessed.

With a nod, Sejeong was so happy that she hugged her. Dokyung could only hug back as it marked as the beginning of their relationship.

+++

Months passed and Sejeong's relationship with Dokyung escalated. They really loved each other and were always there for each other. For now, Dokyung was chilling by the kiosks, holding a piece of paper.

And it was no ordinary piece of paper. It was a paper of admission on KAIST.

"Dokyungie?"

Dokyung secures the paper back in her folder and greeted Sejeong. Sejeong leaned in to kiss Dokyung and sat next to her and wondered of Dokyung's look. It wasn't that visible but Sejeong knew she was down.

“What’s wrong?” Sejeong asked. "What was that piece of paper you're holding?"

Dokyung was always open and honest to Sejeong that she got the paper again and showed it to her. Sejeong saw that she got first place and was given an opportunity to study at a prestigious school.

"This is great, Dokyungie~" Sejeong cheered ans hugged Dokyung tight. "We should celebrate."

Dokyung was shocked. She would've thought Sejeong reacted. Sejeong also thought of the same thing that she held Dokyung's hand, smiling sadly.

"I know it would mean that we won't see each other next year and would be busy with our walks in life but I'm happy for you, Dokyungie. And I want you to know that no matter what happens..." Sejeong placed Dokyung's hand on her own chest. "...you'll always be in here."

Dokyung was flattered that she pulled Sejeong closer to her and hugged her. Sejeong's hesrt thumped out of love but hearing the news, she was sad. The distance could lessen her time with her Dokyung and she couldn't bear that. But then, she can't just wreck Dokyung's dreams and her own.

She'll have to accept, even if it means letting go.

+++

It was the end of a school year. Sejeong and Dokyung were moving up from senior high up to their respective colleges. For the couple, they wanted to spend the days together before separating ways.

The school has held a graduation party and Sejeong and Dokyung were having a blast with their other friends. A band played and the students crowded. Dokyung could see properly because she was tall but Sejeong ended up standing on her tippy toes.

Sejeong reacted when Dokyung crouched in front of her. "Hop on my back."

"Dokyungie, youl get your back hurt. It still hasn't healed from your practices." Sejeong said.

Dokyung shrugged it off and carried Sejeong on her shoulders. Sejeong's legs fell down by Dokyung's build as she finally saw the band playing. Sejeong looked down and Dokyung was holding her tight, making sure she won't fall.

"Yah." Sejeong pouted as she blushed. "Why carry me all the way up?"

"Because I want you to feel like you're on top of the world while watching something beautiful." Dokyung answered.

Sejeong was flattered with those words, a major reason to why she loved Dokyung so much. Nonetheless, the two enjoyed the party to which they'll never forget.

When the party ceased, Dokyung gave Sejeong a piggyback and they walked home. Their addresses weren't that far from school. And even if it wasn't, Dokyung and Sejeong wanted to have more time for each other.

Dokyung decided to Sejeong to her house first. During the walk, Sejeong wrapped herself around Dokyung and nuzzled onto Dokyung's head, smelling her fresh-scented hair and kissing the top of head, crying softly because she won't be seeing her again.

The two got to Sejeong's home and Dokyung puts Sejsong down. Dokyung saw Sejeong already crying and she wipes her tears away. Sejeong held onto Dokyung's hand and leaned her face onto it, not wanting Dokyung to go.

"We don't have to do this..." Sejeong cried.

"I'd be doing more stuff overseas than in here. I don't want you to long too much of me." Dokyung said.

"I'd rather do that than to break up with you." Sejeong said. "Please Dokyungie..."

"It must be done...for us..." Dokyung said.

Sejeong sniffled and Dokyung hugs hee one last time. Sejeong wrapped herself around Dokyung tighter and wept her heart out. For Dokyung, a tear dropped and she sighed.

"I love you, Sejeong." Dokyung spoke.

Sejeong looked up and continued to cry, hands reaching to cup Dokyung's face. "I love you...*sniff*-I love you so much..."

Dokyung leaned down and the two shared one last kiss. Sejeong deepened the kiss to have more time with Dokyung, her hands clenching onto Dokyung's shirt.

The two had to break. Dokyung sighed and wiped her own tears away. "Sejeong, I need to go now."

"Can we negotiate?" Sejeong asked, not wanting her to go.

A simple yet meaningful kiss on the forehead was the last thing Sejeong felt of Dokyung before she left. Sejeong cried and sighed as she got in.

It'll be another life without Dokyung now.