Liu Xiening

The Little Mermaid

Liu Xiening, Sally as the others mostly call her, had hee life on a toll as she started to live the Korean lifestyle. With the oneness of being Chinese, bwing in another country was a struggle. Nonetheless, shw did her all to fit in, especially in school.

School would've been too peachy for her, especially whn it comes to befriending classmates. She got a few of them that have welcomed her and that made her feel at home. Xiening was grateful and even reciprocated those feelings by getting along with them with almost anything, especially with crushes.

She had a particular target: the goddess of their classroom, Shim Dokyung.

She got closer towards the girl timidly as her friends wowed of her courage, even getting themselves closer to listen.

“Ni hao, Dokyungie~” She greeted.

“Ni hao.” Dokyung greeted back.

“Yah! What the heck was that, Sally?” A friend pulled her. “How can the pretty Shim Dokyung talk back to you?”

“Lucky you, Sally~” The others whined.

Sally shrugged as she froze as Dokyung looked at her so lovingly. Sally knew freezing on her spot would get awkward so she spoke. "Can I sit next to you, Dokyungie?"

Dokyung nodded, pointing at her vacant seat. The others cooed as Sally slowly got to that seat. The bell rang and all of them got to their seats. 

For Sally, it was going to be a new day.

+++

Dokyung was sitting under the shade of a cherry blossom tree by their school field. Looking above, she was reminded of her previous life in China. But mostly, she remembered Sally.

Liu Xiening, some Ryu Sajeo, mostly Sally. She was timid due to the fact she was Chinese. The girls didn’t think Sally wasn’t used to speaking Korean. She was already good at speaking Korean. But Sally had her insecurities, causing her to be timid and sometimes clumsy. Her squad made her at ease and based at a source, she's at ease with Dokyung’s gazes.

Sally passes by and Dokyung and her got to notice each other. Dokyung motions Sally to come closer and she did so slowly then sitting next to her.

"Ni hao, Sally." Dokyung spoke. "Don't get nervous. I don't bite."

Sally nodded and smiled. "Dokyungie, can I ask something?"

"Yes. What?" Dokyung asked.

"Will you have lunch with me?" 

Dokyung thought it wss utterly abrupt for a timid girl to open up but then, she smiled. "Okay."

Sally cheered. Sally held her hand and pulled her up. “Come with me now, Dokyungie~”

Dokyung nodded and got up. She and Sally walked side by side to have lunch.

+++

Sally was with her friends as they were walking home. They saw Sally grinning as she watched her phone. They got to peek but Sally's hair was on the way. Little did they know, Sally got Dokyung's number a while ago and was now texting Dokyung.

“I asked her…and I got the jackpot, hahaha!” Sally mumbled in Chinese and grinned like a Cheshire cat.

+++

FROM: Sally

I’m sorry I couldn't go home with you. I wish we lived in the same block anf everything. I’ll be headding inside my home and I want to say goodnight. See you tomorrow, Dokyungie <3

Dokyung smiled and replied. She chuckled and went to call the delivery guy for her dinner. "Hello? I'll have dinsum, please."

+++

Dokyung was going to get something at the canteen when she witnessed something by the private sector of the school. Dokyung went closer and she gasped, seeing Sally being bullied by some seniors. Dokyung coughed lightly to get their attention and the seniors stopped, smiling and greeting her.

“Mind me for intruding but I need Sally to come with me.” Dokyung said.

The seniors would’ve thought Dokyung caught their little act. But with Dokyung’s glare, they went off. Dokyung went to Sally who was in the brink of crying. Dokyung comforts her. “What happened?”

Sally took some time to calm herself. Not only was she crying but her heart was pounding of Dokyung’s hug. “Those seniors got my money…”

“Don’t cry.” Dokyung wipes her tears. “Come on…”

Sally nodded and came with Dokyung. She was grateful for rescuing her from those seniors.

+++

Sally shared to Dokyung and she was uterrly furious. “Who bullied you? Point them out."

Sally saw them and she did. Dokyung went to confront them as Sally stayed put. For Dokyung, she never liked the concept of bullying.

Dokyung got to the table where those seniors were at. Dokyung confronted the seniors she saw earlier. Dokyung was being hit that she could blow a fuse. Sally thought it was going to go worse and that Dokyung might get hurt so she went and hugged Dokyung so tight.

“You had to do it, didn’t you?” Dokyung asked and Sally nodded.

“I couldn’t lie. I was afraid they'd kill me or something.” Sally answered.

Dokyung sighed and went to the seniors, making her way at the center. Dokyung glared at them, almost scaring everyone who witnessed. The two seniors whimpered. Dokyung went to the seniors and lent a hand. “Where’s Sally’s money? Give it.”

One scurried to get some cash as the other tossed her wallet to Dokyung. They got up and ran for their lives as the rest cheered. Sally apologized to Dokyung for the mischief and the two of them decided to go back to their table as the rest went back to their businesses.

Dokyung scurried the wallet and she saw a red envelope with Chinese symbols. She showed it to Sally. “Is this it, Sally?”

Sally nodded and thanked Dokyung. She opened it and she was relieved as all the money was still there.

“There’s even more to spare but I’m bringing it back.” Dokyung said as she waved the wallet. “What matters is that you got her money back.”

Sally nodded. Sally was thankful as she tackles Dokyung for a hug. “Thank you, Dokyungie~”

“You’re welcome.” Dokyung smiled, hugging her back.

The rest who spectated were whining as Sally hugged her longer than expected. Dokyung calmed them down as Sally giggled, her arms still wrapped around Dokyung.

Dokyung had been her knight and she was happy…just like her heart was.

Could this be love?

+++

Sally would be quiet and unmoved but today, she was at the door as she waited for someone. The rest of her classmates were shocked of the change. Sally shrugged that as she ran towards an incoming person.

“Dokyungie~” Sally went to hug her.

Dokyung was shocked but Dokyung hugged her and they went inside the classroom together.

For Sally, her change of attitude became a positive acceptance for her classmates. Not only that, she felt love towards Dokyung.

+++

Dokyung was eating lunch with her friends Jeongmi and Mirae. Dokyung was in the brink of eating her sandwich when…

“Move out.”

Dokyung looked up and saw Sally poking Jeongmi and Mirae to move to another table. Dokyung sighed, facing Sally, who in turn was smiling at her.

“There’s another vacant table here.” Dokyung said. “Let’s eat there.”

Sally nodded. Dokyung excused herself, got her sandwich and drink and went to the other table with Sally. Sally sat with her and enjoyed her lunch with Dokyung.

“Dokyungie~” Sally inches a spoon of soup towards Dokyung.

Dokyung accepted it and thanked Sally. Sally giggled and continued eating. Dokyung was eating her sandwich when her phone rang.

“Hello?” Dokyung answered.

Sally giggled and admired Dokyung’s cuteness as she cooed a certain name. But then, as the call progressed, Sally was sensing that the person Dokyung was talking to was a person she’d be jealous with.

Dokyung hung up since her best friend was busy and she didn’t mind. Dokyung placed her phone back when Sally held her hands.

“Who was that?” Sally asked.

“A childhood friend...” Dokyung answered.

“Can I call you with something special?” Sally asked and Dokyung nodded.

Sally got a tissue and wrote something in Chinese. Dokyung watched her as she tries to read it despite of her basic skills in Chinese.

“Dao…qiong…” Dokyung read.

“That’s right.” Sally grinned. “Daoqiong, your Chinese name…” Sally held her face. “Only I can call you that, okay?”

Dokyung nodded. Sally wrote another name and Dokyung reads it correctly. “Xie…ning…”

Sally nodded. “Our classmates know my Chinese name but I don't let them call me that…” Sally caressed Dokyung’s face. “Only you, Dokyungie…”

Dokyung was flattered. “I’m honoured.”

Sally grinned and resumed eating. Dokyung grinned as well and joined her.

+++

Sally would’ve threatened Jeongmi and Mirae for sticking around with Dokyung but for Dokyung’s sake, she asked nicely to the two to have Dokyung for today. Now, Dokyung and Sally were together all throughout the day. Dokyung didn’t mind. Sally was having the time of her life.

“Dodokyu?”

Dokyung and Sally stopped, hearing that call. Dokyung and Sally saw a person in front of them. Sally gulped. She was taller than her.

“Kyureum?” Dokyung asked, rubbing her eyes.

As the girl nodded, Dokyung ran towards her and hugged her tight. The girl hugged her back. Dokyung didn’t hug long and went to Sally, holding her hand. Sally’s heart thumped of that and she giggled, holding Dokyung’s hand back.

“Since when did you get here?” Dokyung asked.

“I transferred here just now. I was even flooded with fangirls.” Kyureum chuckled then noticed Sally. “New friend?”

“Girlfriend...” Sally mumbled, wrapping her arms around Dokyung.

“OMG-SHIM DOKYUNG!!” Kyureum slapped Dokyung’s arm. “I’m so proud of you!”

“Aish, you little…” Dokyung mumbled.

“Haha…you better explain to me everything after I go and tour the place around.” Kyureum said then lending a hand to Sally. “Lee Kyureum.”

“Nice to meet you, Kyureum-ssi.” Sally shook back. “I’m Ryu Sajeo.”

“Sorry to disrupt your date.” Kyureum grinned and went off.

Dokyung sighed as she felt Sally pull her somewhere. Dokyung had to follow and her eyes dilated when Sally pinned her to a wall despite of the height gap. Dokyung froze as Sally held her face.

Dokyung would've wanted an explanation of what she said but she was frozen. "Xiening…” Dokyung mumbled.

Sally gulped. Who knew she loved Dokyung speak her Chinese name? “Daoqiong…I…”

Dokyung waited for an answer but the events were too quick as she was pulled down and felt Sally’s arms around her.

+++

Dear Diary,

The say you save your first kiss for someone special. In my case, Sally got that opportunity and it left me speechless. But to be honest, Sally was some special.

My feelings aren't sure but...I was always praying that I get them straight towards Sally.

Shim Dokyung

Sally grinned cheekily as she gazed at Dokyung. She stopped writing and puts it inside her bag. Sally got her phone as she noticed Dokyung playing Mobile Legends. Sally and Dokyung played and Sally cheered of her victory.

“I’m leading.” Sally winked.

"Yeah, you are." Dokyung smiled.

"Let's have dinsum." Sally said.

"Okay." Dokyung nodded.

+++

Dear Diary

Being the only Chinese member of our little circle of friends, it made me a bit timid and articulate in terms of my movements. Another thing was the typical barrier of language and race as those factors made it a bit complicated to adjust.

That was a long time ago…and it still lasted throughout this day…

But I got against it bit by bit…because Daoqiong was there for me…

Seeing Daoqiong almost every day was the best event all throughout my days in the university. Her presence made me at ease, her little actions for me made my heart flutter. The whole her completed a half of me…and I love her for that.

I hope she sees that…

Liu Xiening

It was a spring day. Sally loved the season, seeing flowers blossom and the grass turning lusciously green. Not only that, she loved seeing the smiles of the students, her friends, especially Dokyung’s.

Sally saw Dokyung sitting by the bench. She adored Dokyung’s look and the smile that shot her heart in seconds. Sally smiled and went closer to her slowly, seeing Dokyung so peaceful.

“Daoqiong~” She called the charming woman.

“Xiening.”Dokyung smiled then patted a space next to her. “Sit down with me.”

Sally nodded and sat next to Dokyung. Sally wowed of the sunrise and the terrain. She even laughed lightly as she saw students like little dots of snow.

“Lovely, isn’t it?” Dokyung asked and Sally nodded.

“Just like you, Daoqiong,” said Sally.

Dokyung chuckled and was flattered. Dokyung and Sally watched the view again when a ring disrupted their sullen atmosphere.

“Excuse me for a bit.” Dokyung said.

Sally saw Dokyung getting up. Even though she will be back and just needed to answer that call, she felt something. She didn’t want Dokyung to leave by her side yet.

“Daoqiong…” Sally got up from the bench and hugged Dokyung from the back. “Don’t go yet…”

Dokyung’s eyes dilated. She looked down and saw Sally’s arms wrapped around her and her hands holding her waist tenderly. The ring was still there until Dokyung turned down that call. She held Sally’s hands before turning around to face the Chinese girl.
Dokyung smiled. “I won’t…”

Those words felt tingly, making her shudder in a good way. In fact, it made Sally’s heart beat out of love. Dokyung held her hand and Sally was guided, going where Dokyung would go.

They stopped by a cherry blossom tree. Sally thought it was the most beautiful tree she had ever seen, just as beautiful as Dokyung was.

“Wow…” Sally was in pure awe. “What beautiful blossoms we have this year…”

“They are beautiful, Xiening.” Dokyung smiled as they sat down under its shade. “Actually, cherry blossoms reminded me of wonderful memories when I was a kid.”

Sally thought that Dokyung was adorable and precious. She was also honoured that Dokyung would share stuff to her. It was random but it meant everything to Sally.

“Look. That one’s late…” Sally hugged Dokyung as she points at a flower which hadn’t blossomed, surrounded by blossoming flowers.

Dokyung never witnessed that before. She was intrigued. And with Sally’s hug, she couldn’t help but feel her heart thump.

“I remember what Mama used to tell me…” Sally faced Dokyung as she got a falling blossom by her hand. “That blossom might be late in blooming…but when it blooms…” Sally puts the flower by Dokyung’s ear and held her face. “…it’ll be the most beautiful of all.”

Dokyung couldn’t help that smile as she closed her eyes and plastered a smile anyone could fall for. Sally’s hand ran down Dokyung’s chin as she inched closer, pressing her lips against Dokyung’s.

Dokyung’s eyes dilated as her heart thumped. For Sally, she longed for this. It was about time she roots the idea on Dokyung that she loved her…

+++

"Daoqiong~"

Dokyung opened her eyes and Sally greeted her vision. Dokyung wondered where she was as she got up, looking around to see that she was by the field and she was lying down under the shade of the cherry blossom tree.

"Daoqiong, what's wrong?" Sally wipes her forehead. "You seem tensed. "Is everything alright?" 

Dokyung could remember something.

It was a meeting with the principal. She was called to hear the news that she passed an international scholarship at a prestigious school. Dokyung loved to grab the opportunity but it would cost her stay here, especially her relationship with Sally.

Would she be able to tell her?

"Everything's fine." Dokyung answered.

Sally smiled and pecked Dokyung's cheek. Dokyung felt her chest beat and the idea of telling the truth became harder than expected.

+++

Sally was excited to get out of the classroom. She got a bag on her hand, filled with Chinese treats for Dokyung. Sally got to the cherry blossom tree and saw Dokyung.

But what shocked Sally was that she wasn't alone.

"When will you tell her that you'll be off for good, Dokyung?"

"D-Daoqiong?" Sally spoke.

Dokyung and Kyureum froze. Kyureum excused herself as Dokyung couldn't have another option but to face Sally.

"Daoqiong... Kyureum-ssi's lying...right?" Sally was at loss for words.

Dokyung didn't know where to start on her confession. She never wanted to tell Sally because of the consequences. But then, she realized that secrets can't be kept forever.

"Where will you be off to, Daoqiong?" Sally asked seriously. "Tell me. Now."

"To study overseas." Dokyung said. "Kyureum was right of what she asked towards me. I'll be off for good."

Sally dropped the bag and approached Dokyung, almost choking the taller girl. It was the first time Sally got mad that she ended up crying.

"It's not true." Sally sniffled. "Tell me it's not true."

"It's true." Dokyung mumbled.

+++

Ever since the confession, Sally never wanted to see Dokyung again. Dokyung felt the opposite but ahe decided to move away for Sally's sake. She didn't attend classes and ended up settling her arrangements to move overseas.

But in the amidst of any day, Dokyung missed Sally. She wanted to see hee but will there ever be a chance that Sally will hear her out?

It was Christmas and it had gone lonely for Dokyung since her family were in overseas. She got to celebrate with them by communicating through Skype. After the said communication, Dokyung would just chill by the fire and decided to rest.

*ring*

Dokyung got a call. It was from a person she didn't expect but nonetheless, she answered it. "Yes?"

Daoqiong...

"Hey, Sally. Merry Christmas." Dokyung said. "What made you call?"

I miss you...

"I miss you too." Dokyung answered.

Can you do me a favor? Please come here at my home.

Dokyung had her eyes dilated of this. She sighed again and answered. "Okay. I'll be right there."

Sally hung up and Dokyung gor ready.

+++

*ring*

Sally went to the door and opened it and there was Dokyung. Sally got her inside as Dokyung wondered of the lonely vibe.

"Why are you alone, Xiening? Where's your family?" Dokyung asked.

"At China. I couldn't go home. And even if I can, I don't want to go home." Sally answered. "Because I want to celebrate Christmas with you."

Dokyung was speechless. Sally got closer, her hand reaching for Dokyung's cheek. "Can we...celebrate together?"

Dokyung nodded and held Sally's hand. "But first, let's go out shopping."

+++

Sally and Dokyung's Christmas was a time of bonding and a language of love. The two went shopping, got home to get everything ready, and celebrated Christmas with each other.

It was almost midnight and Dokyung and Sally shared a moment of drinking fine wine. Sally got little sips and Dokyung finished hers and she slumped. Sally puts her glass down and scooted closer to Dokyung.

"Xiening..." Dokyung mumbled as she felt Sally's jand by her neck.

Sally straddled her and wrapped herself around Dokyung. Sally found Dokyung's brown eyes so attractive as she remembers the confession Dokyung spoke.

"Why?" Sally asked. "Why did you have to choose to study overseas instead of staying with me?"

"Xiening, I'm so sorry..." Dokyung mumbled.

"Is it what you really want?" Sally asked and Dokyung nodded. 

Sally leaned her head on Dokyung's neck and whispered serenades of begging. Dokyung didn't want to let Sally go too. But sometimes, and mostly in her case, dreams were a number one priority.

Dokyung sighed as Sally kept on hugging her. She could only hug back and speak her seranades of apologies on the winter Christmas night.