Chapter 8: Note and Confusions

Fall From Grace
Please log in to read the full chapter

I thought the words in the paper would change.

I got up early this morning and had a liberty of reading and rereading the letter. I spent my whole Saturday deciphering the words, thinking that maybe the old woman had kept a hidden message in that piece of paper, but nothing happened. The words Central Park, Sunday were still there every time I opened it. There was no extra piece rolled with the original piece of paper. I cannot make something out of the words since yesterday.

After buying my cell phone (angels do not need communication devices much less distractions like this phone, but I guess I would need it now) I went at the Central Park, located just northern the church. I rode the bicycle I recently discovered was mine, and I could've reached the park after ten minutes, but I didn't. Instead I stopped at the church first, wondering why it felt like I was being called inside.

I am aware that it is religion that kept men knowledgeable of the doings of the Lord, but it is man’s faith that will keep him connected to God. Every religion had been helpful to men in many ways when it comes to revealing the existence of ‘Supreme Being’, but depending too much on religion has its downfalls. Man can only and should only trust his own faith.

Besides, technically I am not a man. I am an angel, and I do not need to have religion to believe in God. So I do not know why I felt like my body was being pulled into that church.

I parked my bike without actually knowing it and my feet walked up to the church's doorstep without actually thinking about it.

It was surprisingly deserted. I thought the church would be full since it’s Sunday and early mass attendees would want to start their day listening to the word of God, but apparently humans always put God at the end of their list. A very saddening thought.

 

“Oh… You’re the boy…” Suddenly I heard a voice from behind. I turned to the owner of that voice, and I saw a familiar face.

“Namhee?”

She smiled took another series of steps until we are a meter apart. “What’s your name again?”

“Jimin.” I replied. “You’re here for the mass?”

“Yeah.” She nodded. “You too?”

 

I was tempted to say no. But I know she would ask why next, and I don’t want to explain to her about the old woman’s note and about the church suddenly pulling me inside. She might think I am crazy.

 

“I was just… passing by. Then I saw you…” I replied instead. She nodded again. “Namhee… Sorry to ask but… about the thing you said to Aejung last time…”

“She wasn’t the one who ruined my locker. I’m sorry I have to do that to your girlfriend but—”

“She isn’t my girlfriend.”

“Oh. Sorry. Anyway, I found the culprit. But I couldn’t apologize to Aejung. After what she did to Dawon…” She opened it so easily I’m guessing she’s good at confessing things.

“What did she do to Dawon?”

“That Aejung… She killed my only true friend.” She breathed and closed her eyes. When she opened them and looked at me, I can see her now deep blue eyes large with hate. “Now I see her as the most hateful earthborn on Earth. She—”

 

She continued talking, but I already stopped listening upon her saying the word earthborn. We angels are the only ones using the word, to not confuse humans with us. Sometimes we take a human form, and so we can consider ourselves half-human, maybe sometimes full human, in a span of time. But we know for ourselves that we are not earthborns. We are a league of our own. We are immortal. We have knowledge on different lifetimes. We are Heavenborns.

And it is as if Namhee is declaring that she is an angel who knows how to use the word…

 

“…when in fact she was the one who saw the whole incident.”

“What did you say?” I asked when she’s done, but it seemed she didn’t understand my question. She pursed her lips, thinking of an answer.

“I’m sorry I developed this kind of anger to Aejung.” She looked away, sighing. “She didn’t deny when people asked her if she was the one who killed Dawon. She didn’t answer even one question the police asked. She never tried to help with Dawon’s case. There were no evidence that she killed Dawon, but still… Only if she helped, then my friend’s death would have justice right now.” A pause. “I want to do as much as I could for her to suffer… For Dawon.”

 

I breathed. If she answers that way, then she only thinks that Aejung is at fault. It’s clear that Namhee is trapped in the idea of revenge. And revenge is a dark feeling. It is as dark as the deadly sin anger… Dark. Darkness.

You have to save Melodael from the darkness that surrounds her… A word of the Lord.

I looked back at Namhee. She is beautiful. I cannot predict the exact color of her eyes, almost changing from sea-green to blue. Her strawberry-blond hair complimented very well with her pale face. Her lips and cheeks are naturally red she didn’t need any makeup if she wanted. She’s almost passable for an angel. And if she’s really Melodael, hopefully she really is, then I’m finished with the half of my mission.

 

“Why are you staring?”

“Well, I’m just…” I threw my hands in the air and exhaled while thinking for an answer. I just cannot declare that she is Melodael. As much as I wanted to say I am sure, I still have to confirm that she really is the angel Melodael. “I’m so sorry. For you and for Jungkook.”

“Yeah, thanks.” She blinked, then frowned. “But why sorry for Jungkook?”

“I figured Dawon and Jungkook were lovers.” I said. She looked at me incredulously.

“God, no.” I resisted the urge to scold her about her expression. Is it possible that angels can adopt stupid human words of expression too? “Jungkook came here after Dawon’s death. There’s no way he even knows Dawon.” I frowned. So what about that dark expression when we talked about Dawon?

“You sure about that?” I asked, hoping that she isn’t. But she nodded as a response.

“Yeah. Dawon was never a party person. Even if she was, she couldn’t meet Jungkook somewhere around this town or neighbor cities. Jungkook said he came from Brazil, after all…”

 

***

 

After our small meeting she went inside, and suddenly the church released me. I was able to move out as fast as I can and drove my bike farther from the church. I would never visit churches again if I could.

I was thinking about Namhee had told while biking. I couldn't shake the feeling that somehow all Namhee had said were connected to my mission. Still there is a thing to do at the park, so I shrugged my thoughts for the mo

Please log in to read the full chapter