Chapter 1: The Fall

Fall From Grace
Please log in to read the full chapter

Falling from heaven without wings is really not a good feeling.

I came down, first with no feeling of such gravity, but moments later it is as if my whole body is aching to be on-ground. I tried to flap my wings to ease the momentum, like what I heard other angels where doing when they are spending some days on Earth, but no sound of flapping came. I looked at my back, and then at the ground far behind me, and started yelling.

 

“AHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” I yelled at the top of my lungs, though I can’t hear myself. The strong winds popped my ears. My skin is like being pierced by so many needles. My eyes blurred because of the kaleidoscope of my surroundings.

 

Alas, I had no breath when I crash-landed on a place full of water.

I automatically put my head up and spit water everywhere. No man on Earth can still be alive after falling from Heaven. That sums up that I’m no ordinary man (but I have the impression that I already am a man). Well I’m just thankful I am still alive.

And then it started to rain while the sun shines so brightly. Raining while the sun still shows is a sign that an angel fell from the Heaven. It means that the Lord is recognizing that an angel is sent from Heaven, and hopeful that this angel will change the world even for a bit. It might not be popular, but yeah, that was true. More or less.

I whispered a silent vow to the Lord that I will complete this mission and would not fail the Lord. And then I stood up, almost failed because of the slippery floor, but found my balance. While still in the middle of the waters I tried my wings once more (you know, just to make sure. Maybe I was just hallucinating a while ago). I readied my back and commanded my wings to spread, but I didn’t see anything on my back. I didn’t feel the softness of my feathers on my shoulders, or the weight of it.

I breathed hard. I cannot make it visible again. I am not in the position to demand the Lord to give my wings back.

I cannot do anything but heave a heavy sigh. Those wings are the most useful part and I cannot even use them in this mission. They are also the most beautiful, white as snow, with some diamond-like shining streaks that resembles a constellation…

A constellation I actually don’t remember.

I was about to think hardly about it (because for some reasons a constellation on your back is something you cannot forget) when I remember something.

I remembered that I forgot to introduce myself.

 

So hello there, I am…

 

I forgot who I am either.

 

 

***

 

I walked out of the water, cold and hungry and confused. In Heaven we don’t get cold and hungry and confused. Oftentimes you see a photograph of angels wearing nothing but thin-looking robes as their clothes, and that was partly true, because everyone in Heaven don’t feel cold. We don’t get hungry because we have abundance in food department, and most of all we don’t get confused, for we only do our own duties.

And we don’t get confused because of our identities, I thought with a heavy heart.

The perfection of Heaven that you cannot feel anything that resembles pain and see anything that resembles darkness is so far away and cannot be reached right now. I have to get through the imperfections of Earth and just do the mission the Lord had given me.

 

The mission…

 

Why did I forget all about that mission?!

I rummaged my hair and jumped like a madman. This is all ruined!

How could the Lord send me here with nothing?! I can’t even remember the important things! How could I survive this deadly Earth?!

No, this is bad. Complaining to the Lord is bad for angels. We just have to move forward, doing as the Lord says. If the Lord commanded that my memories should be erased on my very first mission, then the Lord should have some reasons.

 

I tried to calm myself and studied my surroundings. This must be a swimming pool earthborns (people on Earth) call. It is at the very center, surrounded by tall buildings I didn’t know what for. I saw a glass window nearby and I instantly walked to it. And then I saw my reflection. At first I’m afraid of what I saw because I looked so ghostly, but when I saw that I wore earthborn clothes I started to relax.

I am half-, with only navy shorts to cover my body. In my pocket hid some keys and a wallet. I opened it, and the smell of wet leather got stronger. All the things inside the wallet, even the key, were miraculously dry. There are few cash (money in other words, according to earthborns. I wonder why did the Lord sent me these dirty papers, though), some IDs and a note with the words Park Jimin and numbers 1612 scribbled in it.

 

Park Jimin…

 

I looked at my reflection again. My face is of a teenager’s, with pale complexion, small mouth and round eyes looking back at me. My jet-black hair is tousled, and my body is shaped with toned muscles and all. I thanked God. Even if my face is not really what it was, at least my body looked strong enough. I didn’t know what I might encounter, but it is better to have a trained and strong body.

I cannot wish for more

Please log in to read the full chapter