Chapter 1

More today than Yesterday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun had never been comfortable hanging out with girls. Not her age for that matter. She likes kids though. No scratch that, she adores them, simply because she feels she’s one of them. Physical age 18, mental age 10. She knows how to play any video games and street games there is. She and her brother Jonghyun once played in a PC Bang overnight. They were so into their tournament they forgot the time. They were practically dragged home by their mother, who made sure to maximize the time they were walking by cursing at them and hitting them. Growing up with 3 brothers, she never knew what it’s like to really be in the company of girls. Her Jonghyun oppa who is 4 years older than her. Her Jungshin oppa 2 years older and her twin Minhyuk. When she was really little she even asked why she doesn’t grow weenies. Why does her brothers have them and she doesn’t. She wrote Santa and ask for weenies, she never let go of it until their mom explained it to her.

“Hyunie, your brothers are boys that’s why they have weenies, you, on the other hand is a girl so you will never have them”

Her face scrunched and little by little fat tears began to fall “Why can’t I have them? Why can’t I become a boy?!”

“Joohyunah, your oppadeuls and Minhyukie will be like appa, you will be like eomma, don’t you like to be eomma?”

She sniffed “Me want to be eomma”

“That’s my girl”

 

Being an only girl, their family dotted on her, her oppas very protective. She has the pinkiest room in the entire Gangnam. Her closet is full of only the best Sunday dresses. Her socks adorned with laces and silks, Her shoes all shiny and strappies. This, of course went on until she was permitted to choose the clothes she would like to wear. Thats when her closet started to be filled with jeans, shirts, shorts,jerseys, baseball caps. If it wasn’t for the pink interior, one would think it’s a boys closet. Time and time again, she grew up being tagged as tomboy. Her long black hair is always in a messy ponytail attached to her baseball cap. She would come home sometime bleeding from fighting someone at school who made fun of her bestfriends. The only consolation her parents got is she is bestfriends with Hana and Hwanhee. Two very feminine kids. They are neighbors from the beginning and both are god children of her parents.

Things changed a bit when she began getting her monthly period. She then was treated like a fragile glass by her brothers. Their parents, being the responsible adult that they are, sat Joohyun and Minhyuk down on their 13th birthday and discussed about the birds and the bees of which Minhyuk turned pale while she turned crimson red. She vowed not to get married.

She learned that highschool was definitely different from college. You work on your own from here on out. Her brothers cannot always look after her and she can’t just pick fights just because she wants to. She must learn to be a law abiding citizen at the same time be a nice responsible adult. That’s why she was thinking of ditching the party she and her classmates attended. One of her new friend Hyoyeon is celebrating her 18th birthday. Complete with 18candles and roses, 18 gifts and 18 shots. It’s her first time attending such event. Her brothers usually celebrate their birthdays just with the family or if they have friends over, it’ll be raining Soju.

She almost cried begging Hyoyeon to let her off from the cotillion dance, a formal ball, especially one at which debutant is present. But she wasn’t having any of it. She and 6 of her classmates were tasked to join. She painfully attended each dance class with a pout so long it almost reached California. This is how much she loves her friends. Since everyone included in the program have different schedule, they practiced the dance partnered with the staff of the dance school. They’ll only m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter