Let the Police Questioning Begin

Out of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten a.m. the next morning found Maeri and Minhyuk standing outside the police station. The girl had opted for a light blue shirt dress to suit the warm summer season while the man wore his standard Tweed jacket to suit his position as university faculty. Hand in hand, the father and daughter walked into the front office and were greeted, in the most general of terms, by the large, dark skinned man behind the desk.

“ID and reason for visit.”

 

Handing over her ID, Maeri introduced herself and said, “I received a phone call yesterday to come in and answer some questions.”

 

At this the man at the desk actually looked up at the pair and noted the age of the younger. “Didn't know we were recruiting today...” He mumbled as he typed her ID number into the computer only to trail off when he saw the window that popped up on his screen. “Oh my. Miss you are to go into room number thirteen. It is located through the double doors at the end of the hall to your right. Your can sit in the waiting room here.”

 

“I am not her ,” Minhyuk spoke up. “I’m her father.”

 

“Regardless sir. You are asked to wait while your daughter goes in to answer questions alone.”

 

“It is fine, Papa,” Maeri said as she squeezed her father's hand. “I am sure I will be out soon so just wait for me. I am sure if there is something that I cannot answer they will come and get you for help then.”

 

“Okay baby girl. I will wait, but the first sign of trouble and we are leaving.”

 

“Come on Dad, you sound like a crazy man with all these conspiracy theories. No matter how much you think something bad will happen to me, I am totally safe. Nothing bad has ever happened even with how sheltered you kept me as a kid.”

 

“I choose to think it was me keeping you at home that kept anything bad from happening, but go ahead back now. Don't want to keep the big, bad policemen waiting.”

 

With a scoff from the man behind the desk and a giggle from the girl, she slipped away through the double doors, her heels softly tapping on the linoleum floor.

 

Inside room thirteen was a shiney steel table with chairs on opposite sides. One wall had a large mirror on it, but as everyone knows, ‘mirrors’ in interrogation rooms are likely one way windows instead. Averting her eyes from the window in case someone was on the other side, Maeri went to take a seat on the chair facing it, figuring that if whoever is watching can see her expressions at all times, they will know that she has nothing to hide.

 

Within five minutes of waiting in the room, staring at the blank walls, and freezing the backs of her thighs on the cold steel chair, a pair of officers walked into the room. The woman was of small stature, standing several inches shorter than Maeri’s own above-average five foot seven height, while the man was abnormal in all physical aspects. He was slightly taller than Maeri but he seemed as wide as he was tall and all of it was muscle. As the woman took a seat, Maeri had the passing, and distinctly mean spirited, thought that if the man had tried to sit down the chair would surely have broken.

 

“Miss Kim could you please state your full name and date of birth for the recorder.” While the younger was investigating the man of unusual girth, the female officer had pulled out and started the recorder now settled in the middle of the table.

 

Feeling like they started with the hardest question, Maeri began, “My legal name is Maeri, family name Kim. I was abandoned as a small child so I do not know my given birth name or exact age. My father used the day he found me as my third birthday, so the official records state my birthdate to be February 14, 2975.”

 

“Miss Kim,” the man ground out in a voice that gave off the sense of rocks and stones, “do you remember anything before you were adopted?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter