Phone Calls Are a Source of Anxiety

Out of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the last day of classes for the University and the student body was simply buzzing with excitement for the upcoming summer break. The freshmen were happy to no longer return to campus as the youngest ones in the school, forced to cater to the whims of the upperclassmen, and the seniors we're excited for a short break to say goodbye to all their friends before they begin jobs in various offices spread around the country. For one twenty-one year old junior though, the last day of classes represented the last of her freedom. She had been summoned to the military police office by phone just that morning for an appointment the next day.

“Now what is my favorite student pulling such a long face for, Maeri,” crowed a young professor as he wrapped an arm around the troubled girl.

“Jae, I haven't been your student since I was an uncontrollable child and our time together was hardly entertaining enough for me to be your favorite.” Maeri broke into a small smile while fiddling with the necklace that helped bind her powers and falling into the  a familiar rhythm of bantering with her long-time instructor, whom now she was privileged enough to call a friend.

Grasping at his chest with an exaggerated moan, Jae teased back, “You wound me little girl. I thought we equally  shared fond memories  of  our  early days  together. But I find comfort in the fact that your youth is nothing to my beauty.”

Reaching the doors of their destination, a reply came, “There used to be a saying 'Age before beauty” but I guess you win at both though.”

Despite his position as a full tenured professor at the college, Jae Kim did not appear a day over twenty-five, the same age he appeared when he first met Maeri eighteen years prior, and the same age he had appeared decades before that. The Fair Folk, more commonly known as the Fey, did not physically age past maturity, so even at sixty-five, Jae was able to blend in with his student population.

The building the student and teacher entered was the Magic Experimentation Laboratory. While one had to be authorized to enter the building for safety reasons, all research done was supported by both the school and the government. Since the magical community was exposed to humans in the early twenty-first century, the governments of the four magical populations and humans had fully integrated to better serve and protect all citizens within a nation’s boundaries. The road had been dangerous for the early magical leaders of integration, from the humans and the opposing faction in the magical community, but Asia successfully demonstrated the benefits of integration and the rest of the world was able to follow.

“Maeri, you are awfully quiet this afternoon. Want to tell me about it?”

The girl sighed, “I would rather wait until we reach dad's office so I can tell you both at once.”

“As you wish.”

The Fey and the girl made their way to the fourth floor of the building where the Mages worked. The building was largely for their benefit as they needed space to develop new spells and find new ways to harness their energies. From the basement to the roof, each of the four magic beings were represented. The basement held the children of the night, or vampires, as they were more commonly known. Although, medicines had been created to allow vampires to walk in the daylight nearly fifty years prior in this very lab, the vampires still prefe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter