A Whole New World

Out of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An alarm blaring was what finally woke the girl sprawled on the bed from her slumber. Maeri rolled over to swat a hand at the offending noise, only to find an old fashioned alarm clock, one of the ones with two bells atop it's round face with twin dials. “When did I get a retro alarm clock?” Maeri thought before even opening her eyes. Once they did open, her heart fell. “Right. I am in 2017 now. For all I know, this clock may actually be modern now.”

 

The room she found herself in had a double bed pressed against one wall with a large bookcase overtaking the opposite. All of the sparse furniture was made of light colored wood and decorated with white and pale green accents making the space seem larger than it was. The room only seemed to have one problem in Maeri’s opinion, it was missing a way out, having neither window nor door. Climbing off the bed and pulling the rumpled covers back flat out of habit, Maeri made her way to the bookshelf as that seemed to be the one stand out item in the room. The shelves were filled to bursting with all sorts of media. Books, DVDs, CDs, magazines, all simply waiting for someone with a ready mind to devour, and Maeri was one hungry being. A note pinned to the wall to the right of the bookcase told her the purpose.

 

“Here are some things to help you adjust to the time. The left side is what is considered 'classic’ knowledge and the right is newly released. Best of luck, Taeyeon.”

 

“I wish I knew what she had meant by 'letter’, but at least Taeyeon is kind in her own sort of way.” Maeri though pulling the bright pink note off the wall revealing a panel with a button in the middle. “Maybe this will open a door.”

 

Sure enough, pressing the button opened the door to the room, which was actually one of the panels in the bookcase. After the girl stepped through to the other space, the bookshelf swing back closed behind her.

 

On the side of the wall she now stood on, the doorway was hidden behind a fully length mirror and sandwiched in-between racks of clothes. A quick peek at the label revealed a brand Maeri did not recognize but the cut and style were things she liked and it seemed to be the right size. Even the shoes lined up along the ground seemed like they would fit. The further Maeri explored in her new apartment, the more the effort of those who sent her back to keep her comfortable in her new time became apparent.

 

Outside the walk in sized closet, through a proper door this time, was a white tiled bathroom. Then through another door, another bedroom. This one appearing more homey with a quilt on the bed and a warm though not unified color scheme in its hodgepodge of decorations.

 

One last door brought Maeri to a combined living room and kitchen space. Wood floors and white walls along with a colorful mix of furniture made the space feel casual and honey, much like the second bedroom she had passed through. “The place I woke up seems to be surrounded by the other rooms,” Maeri thought, only to have her guess confirmed by a note pinned to the refrigerator.

 

“I am sure by now you figured out the bedroom you woke up in is a secret room. It was designed as a panic room in case of a break in, but it had since been magically reinforced to hide magic from humans. Everything in the apartment is yours. Identification is in the desk in the living room. We could not find your birth identity so we set up a new one for you so you could keep the name you are familiar with. Good luck. You will need it. Taeyeon.”

 

“Well I guess that clears that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter