& Three

Go Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

& Three

 

There were a lot going through their minds. Anger, regret, frustration... and plenty of fear. It was going to be a night where no one was going to get any sleep. And when one wished for tomorrow to never come, they hide away in yesterdays. Somehow, they were sitting around Jongdae's apartment, all the four of them. And it was only when Yixing stared at their reflections on the window panes, did he realized that it was a long time since they had gathered like this. In fact, the last time was three summers ago, on a day that no one liked to revisit. 

Minseok had been seen punching Oh Sehun. His manager had reached them a step too late, and Sehun's companion was ready to blow up the news. Knowing that things were only going to get chaotic from there, Minseok had taken off with Eunyoung in tow, and Yixing dutifully followed. The first place they thought of going, where no one could find them, was to Jongdae's.

The doctor-to-be must have thought he was dreaming when he saw who walked in together. But it only took one look at Eunyoung's fallen face for him to put the pieces together. Yixing watched on helplessly, as Eunyoung huddled up in the corner of the sofa. It wasn't his fault, Yixing knew that, but there was an immense amount of guilt rising in him. Could Yixing have done something to stop Eunyoung from getting hurt? But Yixing did, Yixing had always tried, so why was it that things turned out the way they did now?

Eunyoung had spoken very little to Minseok as well on their way here. And well, neither did Minseok. It was Jongdae, that went to her side, and wrapped his arms around her, till she finally stopped trembling. They knew she just needed time to sort out her thoughts, Eunyoung was strong like that.

Minseok asked a little about Sehun, and who he was to Eunyoung. Their old friend could not hide his surprise when he realized no one knew Sehun that well, he never remembered Eunyoung to be someone to just take a chance. And here she was dating someone she just met, someone whose history she was only starting to understand. Her eyes flickered towards Yixing, before she answered,  “Yixing wanted me to.”

The answer stunned the boys, as Yixing widened his gaze at her. Minseok glanced towards Yixing's direction, before Eunyoung shook her head wildly.

“No, I wanted to. Okay fine, Sehun was a bad mistake. But I didn’t like who I was in high school. I don’t want to still be that girl who don’t dare to let people know me. I mean, I am still glad I tried. I am still glad that I took the shoot. Better luck next time right?”

Yixing didn’t know whether he was supposed to laugh or cry at his best friend. Both Jongdae and Minseok looked equally taken aback at her reaction.

"It really hurts now... but I will be fine." 

Yixing knew she said that for his ears.

Minseok was quiet, leaning backward on the sofa. Eunyoung's words were on his mind, but there were other pressing matters too. He knew the consequences of his rash actions as a public figure. The odd thing was,  Minseok was always the careful one. Yixing forgot, Minseok was always the first one to jump out and defend his friends. Jongdae watched the group of them thoughtfully, before deciding to reach for his phone and begin to check the social media, to see what news had leaked.

"Leaked photos! Singer Xiumin gets into a fist fight with young media entrepreneur over mysterious girl. Is the sensitive image a lie? Is he finally exposed for the beast he is inside?" He read out loud and Minseok groaned loudly at the article title.

"Don't." Minseok shoot a stern look, as a wry smile appeared on Jongdae's face.

Yixing however, was frowning. "Minseok… your reputation..."

Those words broke Eunyoung out of her thoughts, only just realizing the implications for their friend. "You shouldn't have punch him. Now they are going to write horrible things about you."

"I don't care." Minseok quietly replied. "He deserved it, for hurting you."

That was Minseok, for you. 

"You can't go home now, can you?" Yixing's eyes was boring into Minseok, who was staring out of the windows, consumed in his own thoughts. Perhaps, he too remembered, that he had not been in the same room as his best friends for the longest time. Did Minseok realize that they were all here for him? That he didn't have to go through everything alone?"

"There must be reporters all over your place." Eunyoung dropped her face in her hands, the guilt evident in her tone. 

"I am more worried about you actually. What if someone gave away your identity?" The singer threw a look over at her. There were staff all over the place, that knew about her relationship with Sehun after all. 

The sudden sound of light chuckling caused all of them to turn towards Jongdae in disdain. He waved them off casually. "Sorry. It's just... wow. That's so like our Minseok, our big brother."

He peered at Minseok, who finally cracked a tiny smile. The singer got onto his feet. "Don't you guys want to head back? Let's do it now."

"What?" Eunyoung blinked. 

"Weren't you guys trying to convince me to go back home? Let's do it. Why wait for summer?" The boy pulled out his car keys from his pockets.

Yixing stared at him in shock, before whispering under his breathe. "That's our Minseok, always running from his problems."

 

 

 

In the middle of the night, the group of them escaped the big city in Minseok's car. They were back to their small town, and Eunyoung had decided that they all needed food. But both Jongdae and Eunyoung had dozed off at some point, and no one realized that Minseok had made a pit stop.

Except Yixing, who companied Minseok as he stood outside his parents' house silently, wondering if he should head in.

Minseok haven't been back for a long time, and he had told Jongdae earlier, he was worried that his reappearance would troubled his parents. But Yixing knew that wasn't the whole reason. Yixing knew exactly why Minseok was standing by the road side outside the house.

"Yixing ah."

"Yea?" The boy glanced over at the sound of the name.

Minseok was staring down the empty dark street. There was not a single car in sight, at this hour of the night. "Eunyoung... Eunyoung said you forgive me. That I was so silly, to have stayed  away because of our last arguement."

Yixing blinked. Was this when he left the two alone in the dressing room?

"She thought I didn't know it. But I do. I know you will never get mad at me. But I am so mad at myself. I couldn't come back here, after everything. I couldn't look at Jongdae. I couldn't speak to Eunyoung. I couldn't face you.

Everyday I regret it. I regret getting mad at you when you came over to show me that the video you secretly uploaded to the internet went viral. I regret not understanding your actions earlier. I regret yelling at you for accepting the invite to audition on my behalf. Yixing ah, why did I let you blame yourself? Why did I let you feel bad for wanting good things for me, when it all boils down to my own insecurities? 

What if I didn't get angry at you then? What if we didn't argue then? Would the two of us be on stage now instead of one? Would the four of us had been okay? I never had Eunyoung's patience nor Jongdae's understanding, Yixing. I always get angry at you for trying to tell us what we should do. But I am so lost now. Please Yixing... can you tell me what to do?"

Of course, Yixing couldn't be angry at Minseok. He was the one who pushed Minseok into something he wasn't ready for. Minseok had every right to have told him off then. How Minseok ended up on stage, didn't really mattered at this point. That was the past. Now, they must looked to the future, and now, Minseok had to decide for himself where he wanted to go from here.

The gentle boy wanted to reach out to his friend, but Yixing let his hands stop a few centimeters away from Minseok's face, where the tears were running freely down.

Yixing wondered if Minseok would listen this time.

"I want you to forgive yourself."

 

 

 

There weren't many shops opened, during a time that neither quite belonged to the night, nor was part of the day. The four of them were in the old pub with decent alcohol options, a place that Yixing had always wanted to sneak in back in high school. Now he could walk in, without attracting a single glance.

The group of them sat in a secluded corner, Minseok with his cap pulled down. In the background, some old jazz song played on and people talked mindlessly, perhaps about the reason why they were out late. In another corner, a man laid with his head on the head, drunk and out cold.

None of these could distract the gang, whose heads were all consumed with their own thoughts.. Eunyoung had her eyes on all of them, before she finished her beer in a single shot, slamming the empty mug down with a loud thud.

"Slow down there." Jongdae narrowed his eyes at the girl, before pushing the plates of fries nearer to her, reminding her to eat.

"Slow? Time doesn't slow down for anyone. Look at us, look at how much years have passed and we still don't have our life together." She grimaced. "Well, except you, future doctor."

"Please, I don't have a life." He rolled his eyes, before gulping down his own drink.

Minseok mustered up a small smile. "Our high school teachers are going to freak if they know you are pursuing medicine. Remember? They used to label you as a safety hazard."

"They aren't half wrong. I have no talents in this whatsoever."

"Just 100% effort." Yixing mumbled. "Would you have been happier if you had gone into the arts, like your original

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter