& Two

Go Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

& Two.

 

"You know both Jongdae and I tried, right? Minseok made it quite clear that he didn't need us in his life anymore."

Eunyoung’s words were hard to take in, especially when she was looking at him with that expression, the one which meant she knew exactly what Yixing was worrying about. She lifted her hand slightly, wanting to comfort him but Eunyoung paused in mid-air and ran her fingers through her hair instead. Yixing had seen her looking away from him, with a pained look etched on her face. He knew exactly what Eunyoung was thinking too.

The two of them were back home, contemplating on the events of the night in Eunyoung’s room. Yixing knew that Eunyoung felt his pain. It was why she did what she thought she had to do for him, her whole falling out with Minseok was over him. Her intention was to keep them together, but it had backfired. They could never go back to those easier days, all four of them, and it was all because of him.

"It was a stupid fight," Yixing muttered as he sat on the edge of Eunyoung’s bed, swinging his legs mindlessly.

"Minseok had always been more sensitive than the rest of us." She replied, before tucking her knees close to herself. It was an old habit of hers. Eunyoung holding herself together was how she comforted herself when she felt overwhelmed. It troubled Yixing for it was also a sign that Yixing could do nothing for her.

"This is my fault, Eunyoung. But I don't know to fix it. Are you sure Jongdae can't be convinced? He's the only one who has his number and-"

"Jongdae has his reasons for choosing to give Minseok space." She stated firmly.

He knew Eunyoung was right of course. Jongdae didn’t share Eunyoung’s recklessness. Rather than confronting Minseok, which was what the girl foolishly did, Jongdae was waiting for Minseok to come back to them. It was a long shot, in Yixing’s opinion, and Jongdae knew it too.

"If I hadn't argued with Minseok that day and-"

"Stop it Yixing. It had been three years."

"I know." He dropped his head. The two of them had this conversation too many times and it never got anywhere. There was no point dwelling on it. "Ah forget it. How's everything with you and Sehun? You were so awkward around him tonight, it was horrible to watch."

"Yah. Zhang Yixing." She pointed her finger to his face and Yixing couldn't help smiling in response.

"Hey! I didn't get angry at you for taking his car home. Why are you angry at me?" He chuckled as Eunyoung rolled her eyes. Secretly, he was pleased that his presence did not distract Eunyoung from getting to know this guy, who was clearly very interested in her. It wasn't very often that a guy would take a closer look at the introverted Eunyoung, and see her for the witty and amiable girl she was.

"He asked me on a date," Eunyoung added, after a moment of hesitation and Yixing spun around to face her in shock.

"Whatttt! And you let me ramble on and on when you have such good news?!"

She flinched at his excitement. "I haven't promised him anything yet!"

"Well go! You should go!"

"Really, Zhang Yixing? Are you serious? You don’t plan to do any creepy stalking and background checks first?" She raised an eyebrow at him challengingly.

"Hey, you ask me to be supportive right! Please go and have a good time." Yixing urged. Maybe it was seeing Minseok again, or maybe it was due to their last fight, for some reason, Yixing didn’t want to meddle in Eunyoung’s matters this time. Truthfully, the withdrawn girl had enough difficulties making friends already. Despite all her strong words, Eunyoung was very much affected when the group fell apart. Despite never saying it out loud, Yixing knew she was lonely.

Yixing could be very persistent, so when he wouldn’t stop urging Eunyoung to give Sehun an answer, it was only a matter of time before she caved. Having heard enough of Yixing’s long list of face-palming reasons why she should give Sehun a shot, Eunyoung reached for her phone. While she typed her text message to him, she mumbled under her breath. "Gosh. I hope this is the right thing to do."

"I can come along, give you strength." Yixing suggested cheerfully.

"No. Don't you dare." She lifted her eyes off the screen of her phone, to shoot him a wary look.

He only flashed her a bright smile. Eunyoung had a weak spot for his dimples, and Yixing never claimed that he played fair. "You might need me! It's the first date. Never hurt to be cautious."

"I will kick you out if I see you at my date again." Her eyes flashed dangerously.

"So it's okay if you don't see me?"

"Get out!" She lifted her cushion and made a motion to flung it at him. Yixing flinched, falling backward, before his face fell into a scowl, realizing that she didn't even bother to let go. The two friends exchanged a look before Eunyoung stuck her tongue out at him.

With a loud huff, Yixing gathered his pride and stomped across the room to the doorway. Glancing over at her, he folded his arms and lifted his chin in defiance. "I'm really going to leave."

Her attention was back to the tiny screen of her phone. The smile on her face indicated that she had heard him loud and clear. Without looking up, she waved him off.

"See you in the morning."

 

 

Yixing should have listened to Eunyoung, but he didn't. Instead, he was sitting a respectable distance behind the couple while straining his ears to listen in to the words passed between the couple. He didn't want to miss anything.

After all, Yixing was one with exceptional patience. He had followed them when they went to watch that horribly lengthy art film and he had sat through the five-course meals that followed. It was a fancy date for a girl he supposed, but for him, it wasn’t easy to watch. Resting his head heavily, on one hand, his eyes flickered to the other couples around him.

Everyone looked happy.

Everyone had someone to spend their evening with.

And here he was, stalking his best friend on a date.

Of course, he could go and find Jongdae instead. But that boy had his exams coming, and he was an even worse company than Eunyoung right now.

Yixing wondered if Eunyoung told Jongdae about the date prior to this. Jongdae would agree, with him. That Oh Sehun looked like he didn't know how to have fun.

Funny thing was, Jongdae had once said the same thing about Eunyoung too. And they used to take it upon themselves to pass on that advice to every boy that tried to ask Eunyoung out during high school. Minseok had warned them about it, that if any of them ruined Eunyoung's chances at finding a boyfriend, one of them would have to marry her in the future.

That was a terrifying thought.

Yixing could never picture Eunyoung as someone's wife. 

Funny how things turned out, the awkward girl was the one making progress in her love life, while Yixing never had the chance to confess to the girl he loved, about how he truly felt.

Jerking his head towards the couple again, he realized that the couple had stood up and Sehun was leading Eunyoung out, likely for a walk. His hand was holding onto hers firmly, and a faint red tinge was visible on her cheeks. After being at crowded places the whole day, perhaps the pair decided they needed some privacy.

For a second, Yixing almost stood up. But he didn't. Instead, he sat there and watched their back views shrank before him, till he could no longer see them. Yixing remained where he was, as his best friend walked on.

Some things, he figured, he would rather not witness.

 

 

Eunyoung was barely home anymore. And when she was home, she was always humming to herself or Yixing would catch her grinning to herself, as though she remembered an inside joke that Yixing wasn't a part of.

She told Yixing of course, about the perfect Sehun and all her recent discovery about the wonderful traits of his. She knew that he would feel left out and Eunyoung did her best to accommodate him and let Yixing into the snippets of her personal life.  

That's what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter