First Date

I Won't Give Up

first date (deaf au iii)

Okay, so where do you think we should go? Kibum signs to his twin sister that’s lying on his floor. Kibum is lying on his stomach in his bed, looking down at Gwiboon who’s playing with a rubber band.

He spent hours yesterday evening texting with Jinki. The kiss was a wild card and Kibum hadn’t been sure it worked, but they’re still talking so it can’t be that bad.

Kibum has known he’s in love with Jinki for a few weeks now. It was easy, though, falling in love with Jinki. Jinki understands like no one else has ever understood. He doesn’t ask stupid questions about being deaf because Kibum’s disability doesn’t matter to Jinki. He doesn’t look at Kibum strangely when he doesn’t react immediately and he knows how to get Kibum’s attention if Kibum isn’t looking straight at Jinki all the time. Kibum wouldn’t mind looking at Jinki all the time because the older man is gorgeous in a familiar way and Kibum likes the way Jinki’s cheeks turn pink when he notices that Kibum is staring.

Jinki is charming in a clumsy way but passionate about his knowledge and learning more. He’s curious about the world and he is so engaging whenever he explains what he has just learned that Kibum finds himself actually wanting to learn.

So now Kibum has decided to take it one step further. He wants to ask Jinki on an actual date, a real date. Something that proposes more than friendship and something that might prove to Kibum that they can be more than just friends. The thought makes his heart beat a little faster and he hides his cheeks in his hands. Then he gets hit with the rubber band on his shoulder and he looks up with a frown.

, he signs and Gwiboon ignores him.

I don’t know where you should take him, she signs back and Kibum sighs a little. But he’s cute, I want him if you don’t want him.

Kibum frowns again and finds the rubber band between his sheets and throws it back at her.

He’s mine. Also, you have a girlfriend, he signs at her and Gwiboon laughs, her eyes scrunching up.

Eunsook wouldn’t mind, Gwiboon signs but they both know that’s not true. It’s also not true that Gwiboon would ever do anything with anyone; she loves her girlfriend too much.

But Kibum knows his twin sister well enough to know that her jabs are nothing but snarky remarks to get him to confess. It’s the way they talk to each other, the way they encourage each other. Neither of them are very good with words and advice. They understand each other, however and that’s all they need.

Whatever. What did you do with Eunsook on your first date? Kibum signs at her and Gwiboon lights up in a small fond smile at the memories.

She took me ice skating. Hey, you could do that with Jinki?

Kibum laughs a little and shakes his head.

Two deaf people on an ice skating rink sounds like an absolute disaster, Kibum signs and Gwiboon sits up so she can have a better look at him.

I thought he was only hearing impaired? she asks and Kibum nods.

He is, but he prefers to be without his hearing aids when he’s with me. It’s not like I care anyway…

Gwiboon nods a little and then lies back down on the floor. Kibum turns his head so he can stare at his blank television. He wants to do something memorable for Jinki, something that will stand out. Something that will allow him to express his feelings and his want to be more without being too aggressive about it. He wants it to be perfect but casual.

Kibum bites his lower lip as he continues thinking.

 

Being this nervous is ridiculous. Kibum has gone on countless of dates in his life. He has done it a million times before, even with people that later realised they couldn’t work with his disability.

Kibum has been on dates with hearing people that didn’t understand sign language. He has been on dates with people that expected him to be able to lip read. He’s been on dates with other deaf people. But none of them matches Jinki and maybe that’s what’s making him nervous.

He bites his lower lip before he takes a deep breath and knocks on the door.

The door is flung open almost immediately, a young girl almost bumping into Kibum. She speaks to someone behind her that can only be Jinki’s younger brother, Taemin, but she’s turned away from Kibum and it’s going too fast so Kibum doesn’t know what’s being said. He does understand the intention of her small bow when she steps beside him to get out of the door.

Taemin calls into the house before he steps outside as well.

He’ll be there in a moment, Taemin signs, presses the door bell and then hurries off after the girl. The light flickers in the living room and Kibum feels stupid for not using the door bell.

It takes a minute before Jinki stands before him, hair a mess and Kibum lights up in a smile at the sight. Jinki is beautiful, even when he doesn’t look very prepared for a date.

I fell asleep, he signs sheepishly and runs a hand through his hair. Kibum laughs a little.

Oh well. Are you ready or do you want a few minutes? Kibum asks and Jinki contemplates for a few seconds before he invites Kibum inside and asks him to wait for another minute or two.

Kibum looks around in the hallway. One wall is littered with family photos, most displaying two young boys. The other wall hosts a large mirror and a bench beneath it. Kibum tilts his head a little as he looks at his reflection, trying to fix his hair.

He notices Jinki in the mirror and turns around the second Jinki stands behind him. Jinki takes a surprised step back and then smiles wide. Kibum’s heart melts.

Where are you taking me? Jinki asks when they leave the house, walking down the street together. Their hands are brushing with every step but neither Kibum nor Jinki has taken the step to actually hold hands. It makes butterflies stir in Kibum’s stomach.

It’s a secret, Kibum signs and Jinki tilts his head in confusion. Kibum doesn’t say anything, however.

 

They enter a bowling alley and get their shoes and soon enough they’re playing against each other. Jinki is winning favourably but Kibum knows he cheats at times, throws the ball deliberately bad so he doesn’t win with too much. Kibum doesn’t really care about losing, though, because seeing Jinki is happy is all that’s really important to him.

And Jinki is happy. He’s laughing and smiling widely, excitedly signing to Kibum to tell him about everything. The atmosphere is so relaxed and casual and Kibum’s heart is aching to kiss Jinki and hold him. Just stand there in their own world where sounds cannot touch them.

It’s so much easier to pretend they’re the only two people on Earth when Kibum doesn’t have to actively tune out other people. He knows they’re there, can see them when he tears his eyes away from Jinki but he only does so when he has to play.

 

When the game ends with Jinki as the winner Kibum grabs his hand and leads him out of the bowling alley. Their fingers aren’t linked but at least they’re holding hands and that’s also good enough for Kibum. He can’t expect to have it all.

Jinki leads him towards a narrower street with fewer people and a more gentle street light. Kibum doesn’t know where they are. He has never been in this neighbourhood and he has no idea how to get home from here but Jinki keeps leading him down the streets and Kibum can’t do anything but follow. He wants to go wherever Jinki goes. As long as they’re together, Kibum isn’t afraid.

Jinki suddenly stops under a street light and leans against a metal railing that protects the sidewalk from the road. Kibum stands before him, his heart rate spiking when Jinki puts his hands on his hips and pulls him closer. Then Jinki lets go again to sign.

Thank you for tonight, he signs and Kibum smiles and looks around before he gets eye contact with Jinki again.

Where are we? Kibum asks and Jinki bites his lower lip shortly before he leans close enough so he can press his lips against Kibum’s. Kibum’s eyes widen in surprise.

Is this alright? Jinki asks instead of answering Kibum’s question when he lets go. Kibum rolls his eyes but puts his hands on Jinki’s shoulders so he can lean in again.

When they part under the streetlight, Kibum raises an eyebrow in question. What are they? That’s the most important question but Kibum doesn’t want to let go of Jinki to ask. Trying to talk is useless, however, and Kibum doesn’t want to even try anyway.

It’s Jinki that pulls his hands away so he can sign between them.

Do you want to be…? he asks and can’t get himself to actually sign the last word. Kibum chuckles a little.

Be? he signs and Jinki sighs.

My … you know, Jinki signs and flushes a little pink. Kibum still shakes his head and shrugs a little.

I don’t know Jinki. 

Boyfriend? Jinki signs and Kibum looks at the sky the moment Jinki starts signing.

What? I didn’t catch that? Sorry! Kibum signs apologetically and smiles a little when he looks at Jinki again.

B-O-Y-F-R-I-E-N-D? Jinki spells at last, now obviously embarrassed at having to spell it out to Kibum, to actually say the words. He looks down at the ground but Kibum puts his hand under his chin and lifts his head again so they get eye contact.

Yes, he signs with one hand before he leans in so he can kiss Jinki again under the orange street light.

author's notes

Aaaaw, so now they're officially dating. 

This is from Kibum's POV. I hope it also gives a little glimpse into his view of this. It's happening a week or two later than the dinner date. Kibum has never been at Jinki's house but Jinki has told him about Taemin, obviously. 

Gwiboon isn't homoual, she's bi. Her and Eunsook have been together for 8 months now. 

Jinki is awfully cute. Bowling is fun so I thought "why not" and Kibum is just so entranced with Jinki and his happiness. , this AU is too cute, kill me.