Muse // Mingyu

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


Boxed. The world he saw stretched as far as the four corners of his camera screen; the ever-changing blue sky, the crowd of tourists with their faces pressed on their cameras, a long stream with its water flowing, rushing and just minding its own business. Everything and everyone was busy going on with their lives, all except one.

You sat on the steps near the long body of water, alone with nothing but your bag beside you and a book in hand. Light shone on its pages as though the pages themselves contained the light and was sharing it with the world.

Mingyu zoomed in just as a slight wind blew your hair that covered your face, revealing the concentrated yet content smile you had on your lips. He pressed the shutter immediately before lowering the camera and stood to watch. It was serene; it was picturesque; it would be a waste not to see it with his own eyes, was what he thought.

The blue sky soon dissolved into an orange with the sun setting fast. Mingyu sat alone at a table in the corner, typing away the words that ran through his mind all day. He uploaded videos, he uploaded photos, typing paragraph by paragraph, only stopping when your photo showed up.

He didn’t need to ‘hype it up’ or write flowery words for his readers and viewers to like it. He didn’t need to do much to make it relatable. The picture spoke for itself. It was, truly, a picture worth a thousand words.

Then, a ping from his laptop came and he saw a notification from his blog. It was a comment on his update, one out of hundreds, from the one he just posted today. Mingyu’s smile widened as he read the words he highlighted:

“Thank you for taking it beautifully. I hope we can meet properly someday.”