Highs and Lows // Seokmin

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


“Ipsuri mallado halmareun haeyagEsEOo baby~”

Your cheeks ached from smiling and it hurt more watching them collapse in a contagious fit of giggles and laughter with Seokmin on the floor. It was their 2nd-anniversary online broadcast and though they seemed tired, they looked like they were having fun.

The doorknob in front of you turned and the door opened. Standing before it was the real life Seokmin, smiling like always until he heard the familiar laughter that he hears every day from your phone.

“Are you still watching that?” he frowns, closing the door. “It’s been days.”

“But I like it. Especially when you tried three times.”

“In my defense, we have lots of–”

“–remakes for that song, I know. You’re just about to say it in this video.”

“Give me that,” he pouts snatching the phone from you.

“Oh, you big pouty baby.”

“Because I cried?”

“No. Cause you’re pouting. Right now,” you smiled at him.

He took a quick look at the nearby mirror and gave you an exaggerated frown, realizing that he was indeed pouting. “I’m not.” With that, the playful frown on his face disappeared. Usually, he’d be really upbeat. But these days, exhaustion has taken over him even though he didn’t say anything about it.

You smiled at him knowingly, watching as he silently placed his things on the table before going to the kitchen for a drink. You went after him and met his eyes. No words needed, you stood before him with outstretched arms and nodded. 

Sighing in defeat (though with a smile), he placed his cup on the table. He walked right towards you and pretty soon, you had him tightly in your embrace, claiming the space that is always his.

He swayed with you from side to side, almost going full circle in the kitchen until you heard him sigh heavily, his weight getting more notable on your shoulder and his arms around you getting tighter.

“Long day?”

“Mhm.”

“It’s okay,” you started patting his head, combing your fingers through his soft hair. Your arms were starting to ache and your shoulder was getting heavier but you endured it. He was going through things too, physically and emotionally, especially with promotions still ongoing. You could at least do this much.

You heard him sniff softly and you just continued to caress his hair gently.

“It’s alright to get tired. We’re not robots. We’re living flesh who also gets tired and sad and just wants the whole world to shut up and leave you alone for a while. But after we dump all those things away, it’s important that we continue no matter how tiring and hard it is.” You leaned away from him to see his face, wiping the fresh tears he had from his cheeks. “And I’ll always be here for you. You know that, right?”

“How is it that you always know what to do and what to say?” He smiled and looked into your eyes, leaning in for a light kiss before embracing you some more.

“Seokmin?”

“Hm?”

“Do you think Woozi can make another version for Adore U?”

“Why?”

You let out a soft laugh and embraced him a bit more. “So that I could hear the studio version of your weird high and low notes.”

“I hate you.”

“I love you too.”