Wrong Person, Right Person // Woozi

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


The taste of bittersweet alcohol and boredom blended on your tongue as the loud bass from Jay Park’s song blasted from the speakers, momentarily drowning your regrets from being convinced to attend a house party with a friend.

“It’ll be fun, she said. I’ll be with you the whole night, she said.” Your eyes were fixed on your friend who was having a rather intimate conversation with someone across the room. The guy she was talking to leaned down to whisper something in her ear. She laughed. You rolled your eyes. “Fun.”

“Hey,” a voice said and a cute guy with an equally cute smile stood beside you. His smile and dimples reminded you of a colon and a square bracket that you can’t help but stare. “I’ll get straight to the point,” he said. “I was dared and I want to win so pretend that I’m doing a good job flirting with you.”

“You’re flirting with me?”

He scoffed, placing a hand on his hip. “I told you. I’m only pretending. It’ll be nice if you play along.”

“Why pretend? Why not just flirt?”

“Do you want me to?” he blinked.

You studied his face before deciding that he’s probably bluffing. He looks too cute to know how to flirt. “What do I get in return?”

“In return?”

“You were dared. You want me to cooperate. What’s in it for me?” you smiled sweetly, scanning the room for his friends that might be watching.

“What do you want?”

“Hmm…if you were dared, there would be a bet for sure.”

He narrowed his eyes at you, studying you for a while and making you a tad bit conscious of how you looked with your newly-tried style of makeup. He nodded.

“I want half of your bet then.”

“What?”

“Half of your bet.” Seeing the look of disbelief on his face, you shook your head. “Come on. Do you really think anyone here would take your offer? They’re way out of your league.”

“And you are?” he let out a small laugh, raising an eyebrow at you.

“I realized I just dug my own grave, okay? But whatever. Are we doing this or what? Honestly, I’m already doing my job smiling and talking to you for this long. I don’t usually mingle with strangers.”

“I don’t know. Half is pretty big.”

“Hey,” you crossed your arms, “I’m the deciding factor for your bet. It’s your call. Besides, I have nothing fun to do. This party’s getting kinda boring.”

“It is?”

“Part of it is my friend’s fault for leaving me alone because of him,” you pointed back to your friend and her…new friend, “part of it’s cause I’m not really a party person aaaand…”

“And?”

“The party itself. There’s not much going on,” you said looking around. “Not that I’m complaining. But I’d rather be home than stare at the wall for hours.”

“Really? Why don’t you go home then?” he cocked his head to the side. “Legit question.”

“I would’ve but my friend drove here and dragged me. Can’t leave even if I wanted to.”

“Hey Woozi!” a guy with doe-eyes walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I have to go. Great party though. See you later!”

“Sure! See you,” he waved back.

You watched the guy leave, unconsciously mirroring the wide-eyed look he had. You met Woozi’s eyes and noticed the sly smile on his face and immediately felt your cheeks grow hot.

“You’re the…this party is your-”

“Never mind about that. I’m actually bored too,” he waved his hand with a smile. “So…wanna go somewhere else? My friends can take care of the house while we’re gone.”

“And why do I feel like you are now actually flirting? You said you’re not flirting.”

“I didn’t say I can’t,” he shrugged. “Shall we go then?”

You studied him some more. Maybe he wasn’t bluffing. “Sure. But hey.”

“What?” he turned around.

You smiled. “I still get half of that bet.”