Cure For The Cold // Mingyu

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


People say that you can never really appreciate something until it’s gone and they’re right; having to breathe with a stuffy nose is such a nuisance.

You blew your nose and sniffed, trying to unclog your nose from the nasty cold you got over the weekend. Mondays always but with your clogged nose and your sleepiness level going up, it just got worse. Luckily, there was only a short line at your favorite shop and your favorite barista was in charge making the day just a bit better.

“Hey Mingyu,” you greeted him as happily as you could but Mingyu caught on easily and winced at your voice.

“Didn’t know Bane goes here for coffee.”

“That bad?”

He pursed his lips and nodded. “You okay?”

“Used to it. Always happens with a bit of rain, you know?”

“So that’s what happened. The usual?” he asked, taking a medium sized cup and a marker.

“The usual,” you confirmed.

“You should try taking vitamins.”

“I do. But I always forget. I’ll sit there,” you said pointing at an empty table while Mingyu set out to work.

It’s been almost a year since you met him at this very shop. It was just a normal customer-employee thing at first but soon, through various small talks, he became one of your really close friends. He was artistic too. Every coffee that you get either has a personalized doodle on the cup or if you get one with frothy cream, has his art on it.

And it looks like it’s a landscape of mountains and the sun this time. Mingyu walked over with your drink when you felt a sneeze coming, him silently handing you a tissue before setting your drink down. “And my friends say I’m nasty,” he commented.

“Stop reminding me. I hate getting sick.”

“Why don’t you skip work today then?”

“I can’t just do that.”

“I’m just saying. Health is more important.” He watched as you sneezed more violently this time and shook his head. “Dying while working for your boss won’t heal you.”

You took the second round of tissues from him and blew your nose, your head feeling light and your eyes growing heavy. “You know, sometimes you make sense, sometimes you don’t. But I think I’ll take your advice on that,” you say, your fingers already busy tapping the screen of your phone.

“Are you going home now?”

“Yeah. But I’ll have to stop by somewhere to buy food. I feel too sick to cook.”

“I could cook for you. My shift is almost over anyway. Hold on.” He ran back to the counter and into the staff room before you can even say his name and protest. Minutes passed by with customers going in and out before he came back wearing his casual clothes and a wide grin on his face.

“I’m all set. Let’s go?”

“How can your shift end when it’s only 8 in the morning?”

Mingyu turned away and laughed before smiling back at you. “It means don’t worry about it because I already got permission.”

“Fine,” you rolled your eyes as you stood from your seat. “Just make sure I actually get better after eating your food.”

“I am offended. It’s not part of my job but I’ll have you know that I’m the best cook in the world and I’ll make you the best food you’ve ever had.”

“Okay Chef. Whatever you say,” you laughed, leaving the cafe with him.

Minghao, Mingyu’s co-worker and best friend stood behind the counter shaking his head at the sight of you two. As if Mingyu’s not noisy enough on normal days, he’s sure that he’ll be talking nonstop tomorrow about how he finally did something about his growing little crush on you.