A Fool For You

The Price of Pride

A/N: Sometimes, it takes almost losing someone to make you realize how important they are.


 

The walls were white - too white and too pristine. In the air, the scent of bleach and antiseptic was strong. And the sounds of quiet snores and the drip-dripping from the IV fluid bag were the only sounds that resonated in the room.

Sighing, Sunggyu shifted uncomfortably in the plastic seat provided, attempting to make himself somewhat comfortable. But, how could he find any comfort when Woohyun was lying on a hospital bed, unconscious?

When the younger passed out in the alley, Sunggyu managed to get the attention of some passersby’s who immediately called an ambulance. And while Woohyun was in surgery, Sunggyu filed a police report.

Thankfully, no major artery or organ was punctured and he didn't lose too much blood. So, the younger was put under general anesthesia, stitched up after an hour and a half, and transferred to a private room.

It was already 10pm and the doctors had advised Sunggyu to go home and come back in the morning. But… he couldn’t find the strength to go. What if Woohyun woke up and no one was there with him? He would panic and probably fall off the bed and hit his head and crack it open or something. No, Sunggyu would stay. He had already called his parents to let them know and his mother promised bring fresh clothes for him in the morning.

But, for now, he was staying.

He couldn’t believe the younger had been so reckless! Then again, this was Woohyun… his Woohyun… the Woohyun who swore he would die for him…

Sunggyu shook his head to clear the awful thoughts away. Woohyun was not going to die! The doctor said his wounds were not fatal and he would live another day to annoy him…

Woohyun groaned lightly and moved slightly that his face scrunched up in pain. His wound must be bothering him.

Before he realized what he was doing, Sunggyu was scooting his chair forward to lace his fingers with Woohyun’s, squeezing his hand, comfortingly.

Woohyun’s pained expression slowly dissipated as his hands subconsciously squeezed Sunggyu’s back. The latter could only stare at him, his eyes running over the younger’s pale face, his sharp-pointed nose, those full lips that he loved to kiss…

Sunggyu sighed. Okay, so maybe he missed Woohyun more than he thought he would.

The last month had been, for lack of a better word, hell. His bed was always cold, food didn’t taste as good even if his mother cooked it, and the days felt lonely. It wasn’t like he was planning on staying in Jeonju forever; he filed for a 6-week leave from work so he could just take a breather and really think.

He didn’t count on Woohyun following him here, not to mention that his brother had given in to his conscience and told the younger where he was!

Suffice to say, Sunggyu knew that he was weak when it came to Nam Woohyun. He loved him more than anyone and anything in this existence. And it had hurt him so much to leave, but he needed the space this time. And it seemed to do him well the first week or so. But, the following days just felt… empty.

His parents both had tried to convince him to go back to Seoul to talk to Woohyun, or at least give the latter a call, but he stubbornly refused. He did listen to all the voicemails, though. He had to admit, he almost went back several times, but his pride kept him from making a move, and he partly feared that it would all just fail in the end.

It’s true what they say, after all. The ones we love the most end up hurting us the most.

“What am I going to do with you, Nam Woohyun?” he mumbled to himself before planting a kiss to the younger’s hand.

No matter what happened to them, Sunggyu couldn't deny that he still loved him.

 

 


 

There was a hand gently caressing his hair. It was soothing… relaxing… and loving.

His back ached from being bent over for several hours but that hand…

Slowly, Sunggyu stirred from sleep, his eyes slowly blinking to meet sunlight and white bedsheets. His head was lying on the hospital bed, his hand clutched another’s, and another hand ran through his tresses.

Groaning slightly, Sunggyu lifted his head and met Woohyun’s gentle smile.

“Good morning,” the younger greeted.

Blinking, it took only a few seconds for everything to come rushing back to Sunggyu. Quickly, he dislodged his hand from Woohyun’s and scooted his chair back. The younger pouted in disappointment.

“I’ll get the doctor,” Sunggyu said, standing up and moving to the door.

“Sunggyu.”

The older stopped, hand on the doorknob.

“Can we please talk?”

“No.”

“But-.”

“After I get the doctor and you have some food in you.” He turned back to the surprised-looking younger with a small smile. “We’ll talk after, okay?”

Woohyun nodded, obediently. “Okay.”

Sunggyu opened the door and stepped out, closing the door behind him. He breathed in deeply, trying to calm his frantically beating heart. He couldn’t run away anymore… No, he would not run away anymore… He and Woohyun needed to talk.

But, first, he needed to make sure the younger would be alright.

 


 

“Come on, Woohyun, open your mouth.”

The younger clamped his mouth shut, shaking his head.

Sunggyu frowned at him and lifted the spoon of porridge to his lips again. “Just one bite, please.”

The younger pouted at him and he sighed. He had been trying to get Woohyun to eat for ten minutes now, but the younger refused, insisting that they talked first.

But, Woohyun needed to take his painkillers and in order to do that, he had to eat.

“Woohyun, please, don’t be stubborn,” Sunggyu goaded again, lifting the spoon.

But, Woohyun only flashed him his puppy eyes. It had been a while since he had seen those puppy eyes. He kind of missed them.

Suddenly, the younger smiled at him and it took him a second to realize that his lips had quirked into a smile too. The sight of seeing Woohyun’s puppy eyes had made a subconscious reaction.

Sighing in resignation, Sunggyu put the bowl of porridge back on the tray and scooted closer to the bed.

“Fine, we’ll talk. But, afterwards, you eat. Got that?”

Woohyun nodded, frantically.

Sunggyu sighed again. “Alright, the floor is yours.”

The younger looked at him for a few moments, eyes raking over his figure, as if he was memorizing him and committing his image to memory. Sunggyu should feel uncomfortable, but he wasn’t. He always liked it when Woohyun looked at him.

“I’m sorry,” the younger said in a soft tone. “I’m sorry I hurt you. I’m sorry I accused you of cheating, I know you didn’t. I’m sorry if I made you think that I think so low of you. I’m sorry I made you feel like you’re not important to me, that I don’t love you. Because I do, Sunggyu. I love you so much and this entire time without you was just… hell.”

He reached out and took one of Sunggyu’s hands, bringing it close to his face and nuzzling his cheek against it. The older couldn’t help but blush, because not only did the younger look adorable, he reminded him of his Woohyun, the Woohyun who chased after him, the Woohyun who confessed his love to him in the middle of their university campus… his affectionate, greasy, and loving puppy Woohyun.

“I miss your face, your smile, your nagging, the way you hog all the covers in the morning, your cuddles when we watch movies… Everything… I miss everything.” Woohyun’s lip quivered slightly as his eyes glistened with unshed tears. “Please… come back to me…”

Sunggyu’s heart ached as he listened to the other. He longed to tell him that he missed him too. But, Woohyun’s words to him that fateful night many months ago still echoed in his head.

“You said you were bored,” he said, quietly. “You wanted freedom. You wanted your life back.”

Woohyun winced, looking ashamed. “I was wrong,” he replied. “I’m not bored of you, I’ll never get bored of you. Anything I do with you, whatever it is, I’m happy because it’s with you. And freedom? Freedom doesn’t feel very free if you’re not there, it just feels lonely. And my life? You’re right. I want my life back…”

Sunggyu’s heart started to crack.

“… you are my life, Sunggyu,” Woohyun continued, and the older felt his heart become whole again. “And I want you back.”

He met Sunggyu’s eyes and all the older could see was true sincerity and regret. But, Woohyun still had not answered the question that had been nagging Sunggyu for months.

“Then why did you do it?” he asked. “There must have been some semblance of truth to what you said and why you did what you did. It couldn’t have just come out of nowhere. So tell me… Why?”

Woohyun bit at his lip, seeming to contemplate the answer. Sunggyu waited patiently, resisting the urge to chide the younger for biting his lip because he might tear at the skin; he knew how sensitive Woohyun’s skin was. He swore he was going to get him some lip balm after he fed him.

“I… was afraid.”

If Sunggyu had not been paying attention, he would have missed Woohyun’s answer.

He tilted his head to the side, confused. “Afraid? Of what?”

Woohyun began playing with his fingers and Sunggyu only now realized that he had not let it go once.

“We spend so much time together, almost every waking moment together, and sometimes, you sacrifice things you want to do because you know I wouldn’t enjoy them. I was afraid you would get bored of me… or resent me later on… I was afraid of suffocating you with my love… and I didn’t want that. So I distanced myself from you… but I went too far. I ended up neglecting you instead. I enjoyed my so-called freedom too much and forgot that I had to give you some attention too, that I had to show you love too instead of assuming that you just knew. I was so used to you always being the understanding one that I took that for granted… and I’m sorry… I’m sorry, Sunggyu.”

By the time he was done, Woohyun had allowed his tears to fall. They streamed down his face, but he didn’t sob, only looked at the older with the face of regret and dejection.

And Sunggyu didn’t know how to react. A part of him was elated that Woohyun really did still love him, that he was trying to make things right, that it wasn’t Sunggyu’s fault. However, a part of him also felt some guilt, realizing that maybe he should have been more straightforward with Woohyun from the beginning instead of hiding his feelings.

And he shouldn’t have responded so childishly to the other. He wasn’t blind that he didn’t notice Woohyun’s efforts to apologize through his actions; he was simply too proud and a little angry to acknowledge the fact that the younger had trouble with saying the words “I’m sorry.” But, now, he did it. And Sunggyu wanted to tell him that he was forgiven.

But… he was still afraid.

“I’m still afraid,” he voiced out, softly. “I don’t know if I can trust you again. I don’t want to get hurt.”

Woohyun’s face fell even more and his grip on Sunggyu’s hand tightened, even if it shook a little now.

“Then give me a chance to show you again,” the younger replied, looking determined. “Come back to Seoul with me. I’ll make it up to you. I’ll work hard to gain your trust again and show you that I love you.”

“Woohyun…”

“Please, Gyu… I’m begging you… Please give me another chance…”

Sunggyu hesitated. “I don’t know…”

“We’ll take it slow! As slow as you want! I’ll… I’ll court you again if I have to! Gyu, please…”

Woohyun was practically begging now, and if he wasn’t on a bed, he would have probably prostrated himself on the floor. Woohyun was always about dramatics; he secretly loved him for it.

It stirred something in Sunggyu’s heart, a longing and desire.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered and observed as Woohyun looked like the entire world just fell apart around him. But, Sunggyu wasn’t done. “I’m sorry that I ignored you instead of letting you talk. I’m sorry that I ran away instead of staying to fix things. And I’m sorry I made you feel like you have to do all this just to get me to forgive you.”

He watched as the light and hope returned to Woohyun’s eyes. “Then… do you forgive me?” he tentatively asked.

Instead of answering, Sunggyu flashed him a teasing smile before gently taking his hands back and picking up the bowl of food again.

“I still have to talk to your doctor about when you can be discharged and I need to stop by the police station for a follow-up on those thugs.” He lifted the spoon to Woohyun’s lips. “So, can you please eat now and take your medicine?”

Woohyun opened his mouth, obediently and allowed Sunggyu to feed him the now cold porridge. The younger chewed, swallowed, then grinned at the older.

“You know I can still use my hands,” he teased, waving one of them. “I think you’re just looking for an excuse to feed me, am I right?”

He winked, causing Sunggyu to blush.

Yep, Woohyun was okay, alright.

Pretending to be annoyed, Sunggyu glared and pushed the spoon and bowl at him. “Fine, then feed yourself.”

He internally laughed when Woohyun’s eyes showed panic as he shook his head. “No, Gyu, I’m kidding! I’m sorry! Please feed me.”

He pouted, childishly and Sunggyu laughed for real this time and took the items back. He fed the younger in silence for the next ten minutes or so, nodding in approval as the contents of the bowl grew smaller and smaller until it was all finished. He then gave Woohyun his medicine and helped him drink water, before patting his head.

“Good boy,” he teased, putting the water away and helping the younger get comfortable on the hospital bed again. “Get some rest now.”

He turned to leave when he felt Woohyun grab his hand.

“Wait! Where are you going?” He was pouting again.

“I told you, I need to talk to your doctor and go to the police station. Don’t worry, Umma says she'll be back later to watch you.”

She had already stopped by that morning to drop off a change of clothes for him.

Woohyun pulled at his hand. “Don’t I get a good-bye kiss?” he asked, flashing his puppy eyes.

Heat flowed to Sunggyu’s cheeks again because damnit, Nam Woohyun knew how to stir his heart. He was supposed to be mad at the younger, but why was he actually considering his request?!

Sighing, Sunggyu stepped closer to the bed. Woohyun smiled, happily and closed his eyes, pursing his lips out. The older thought it was cute and admittedly, quite tempting. But, he wasn’t about to make it easy for the younger.

So, instead, he leaned down and pecked his forehead.

Woohyun’s smile disappeared into a cute pout. “Gyuuuu…” he whined, but Sunggyu just pinched his cheek with a chuckle and moved towards the door.

“Kim Sunggyu,” he called out and the other paused at the door. Woohyun smiled at him again, his eyes bright and full of hope. “I love you.”

That caught him off-guard a little, but he managed to mask his surprise with a nod of the head. “I know you do,” he replied, before exiting the room.

When the door closed, Sunggyu leaned back against it with a sigh, feeling his lips quirk into an affectionate smile.

He knew. As soon as Woohyun had asked him, he already knew his answer.

But, it didn’t hurt to tease the younger a little… as revenge. But, this time, he wasn’t going to hurt him. This time, he was going to do it right.

Sunggyu wondered if he was a fool. Could he really risk his heart again?

But, he supposed that when one chose to love, you were already a fool. He had the feeling that the younger was already a fool for him. So, he didn’t mind so much being a fool for Nam Woohyun, either.

 


 

A/N: So.... do you think Woohyun is fully forgiven or does Sunggyu have a few more tricks up his sleeve? Anyway, next chapter will be the last, guys! Sadness :(