Envy Is A Dangerous Enemy

The Price of Pride

A/N: Ahhh love... Such a beautiful thing... But, also a total pain...


 

After seeing his co-worker Yuri getting surprise visits from her boyfriend during lunch, he figured he ought to give it a try.

Sunggyu’s workplace was only a 10-minute drive from his and he had a good hour and a half for lunch. So, on that one particular day, instead of the usual kimbap or instant ramyun from the vending machine, Woohyun took a drive to Sunggyu’s job, hoping to take him out to lunch.

He confidently strolled into the lobby, phone in hand and ready to call his boyfriend when his sharp eyes caught a glimpse of the said male.

Grinning, Woohyun was about to call out to him when another male caught his gaze. The younger’s eyes widened in shock as he recognized who it was: Ken.

What the hell was his co-worker doing here?! How did he even know where Sunggyu worked?! And why did it look like he and Sunggyu knew each other for more than just that one hour at the club many months ago?!

He must have been staring for quite some time as the two said males actually saw him and had walked over.

“Woohyun? What are you doing here?” Sunggyu asked, confusion evident on his face.

For a second, there was a flash of brightness in those eyes, and the edge of his lips twitching. As quick as they appeared, they disappeared, but Woohyun caught them. It sparked some hope inside him.

The younger cleared his throat. “I… wanted to take you out to lunch.” His eyes narrowed at a smirking Ken. “Fancy seeing you here.” He turned to Sunggyu. “You never told me you and Ken met up again.”

“I didn’t think you wanted to know,” the older answered, matter-of-factly and that sort of sent a pang right into Woohyun’s pride. “We were just about to go to lunch. We can go together.”

“Yeah, Woohyun, join us!” added Ken, flashing the other a smug smile. “There’s this Thai place that I showed Hyung and he really likes it. We’re going there again!”

Woohyun’s eye twitched when Ken called his boyfriend “hyung.” And furthermore, what did he mean by again?!

“Again?” he voiced out.

“Yeah, Gyu-hyung and I have lunch every Thursday. That’s why I’m not at the office for lunch on those days. He’s really fun to hang out with!” Ken’s smile was large and intimidating.

But, Woohyun was not to be intimidated, so he responded with a glare.

“So, do you want to join us, Woohyun?” Sunggyu asked, seemingly oblivious to the tension between the two.

“Yes,” the younger answered immediately before taking his older boyfriend’s hand and pulling him along.

That was how he found himself at a Thai restaurant, sitting next to Sunggyu with Ken across from them. The older was either oblivious to the staring contest between the two or he simply ignored them, too busy perusing his menu, even though he would probably get his usual favorite.

“Hey, you two, right on time for Thursday, as always!” greeted a pleasant-looking waiter as he filled their glasses with water.

Sunggyu looked up with a smile. “Hi Sungyeol,” he greeted.

The waiter, Sungyeol, looked at Woohyun. “You brought a friend,” he commented.

“Oh, yes, this is Woohyun, my boyfriend,” answered Sunggyu.

The tall waiter’s already large eyes widened even more in shock. “Boyfriend? Ahhh, I thought you and Ken-shii were boyfriends. Silly me. Um, anyway, what is it for today? The usual?”

Sunggyu looked over at Ken who nodded. “Yes, please,” he answered before turning to Woohyun. “What would you like, Woohyun?”

The younger, who had frozen in his seat at the waiter’s assumption, stared at his boyfriend’s inquiring face.

“Woohyun?”

He cleared his throat. “Um… I’ll have the same as you.”

Sunggyu nodded and turned to Sungyeol. “He’ll have the Pad Thai too, no peanuts like mine. He’s allergic.”

“Alrighty, I’ll have them right out for you!” Sungyeol took their menus and pranced away.

Meanwhile, Ken looked over at them with an interested expression. “Ahhh… so that’s why you avoid peanuts, hyung. For Woohyun.”

The elder coughed. “Um, yeah, it’s a habit, I guess.”

There was only an awkward silence as they waited for their order.

Meanwhile, Woohyun couldn’t help but observe the two and there was something digging at his mind but he tried to get rid of it, lest he got in trouble again, but it kept nagging him: suspicion.

As they ate, Ken talked about how he just happened to pass by Sunggyu’s work building one Thursday during lunch time and saw the older come out. They made small talk, Ken invited him to lunch, and thus, it became a tradition.

Woohun called bull.

And he told his co-worker exactly that when they met up back at the office after dropping off Sunggyu at his work (Woohyun did, not Ken; no way he was going to let the other guy do it).

Ken snickered. “Okay, fine, you caught me. I didn’t just happen to pass by.”

Woohyun narrowed his eyes at him. “How did you know where he worked?” he demanded.

His co-worker shrugged, nonchalant. “Simple. I went on your Facebook, found him, and looked at his info. Easy-peasy.” He flashed a smirk at Woohyun that made the latter’s blood boil. “I told you, if you don’t start getting your act together and appreciate him, someone else will come along and try to steal him.”

And with that, the other left him there, fuming and his insecurity rising to the top.

He should have known better than to let Ken’s words affect him so much, but this was Nam Woohyun.

 


 

“I’m home.”

Woohyun looked up from the T.V. to see his boyfriend enter the apartment. He glanced at his phone to look at the time: 8pm on the dot.

Sunggyu padded over to him, pecked his cheek, and was about to head to the bedroom when Woohyun’s hand shot out and grabbed his arm.

The older’s tiny eyes widened in surprise for a second before it mellowed down to nonchalance.

“Yes?” he asked, tonelessly.

“We need to talk.”

“About what?”

“About us.”

“What about us?”

Sunggyu’s continued avoidance of their needed talk was really starting to annoy him. He just wanted to talk and fix their relationship, damnit! Was that too much to ask?!

He was supposed to apologize to Sunggyu. He was supposed to reassure him that he loved him. He was supposed to tell him that he wanted to fix this.

Instead, what he said was, “I don’t like you hanging out with Ken.”

Sunggyu blinked. “What? Why?”

“He’s bad news.”

“How do you know?”

“I… He just is!”

“Woohyun, that’s silly. Ken is a great guy. Now, let me go so I can shower.”

Sunggyu tried to move away, but Woohyun held him back.

His mind was telling him to stop talking, but his mouth wouldn’t listen.

“Is there something going on between you two?” he blurted out.

Instantly, he regretted it. Sunggyu stared back at him, looking absolutely scandalized. “Are you freaking serious, Woohyun?!”

The older yanked his arm from Woohyun’s grasp and stepped away from him. “You can’t be seriously thinking…” he continued, but paused.

He squinted his eyes at the younger, and Woohyun had to avert his gaze and look at something else. Anything else, but Sunggyu.

“Do you think so little of me, Nam Woohyun?”

The younger looked up and was met by the older’s tear-filled eyes, full of nothing but hurt and betrayal. Instinctively, his feet brought him forward so he could comfort him, but Sunggyu moved backwards.

“I know that I haven’t been the best boyfriend lately, ignoring you and giving you the silent treatment, but must you think so little of me?!” he yelled at Woohyun.

The younger wanted to apologize for his words. To start to patch things up. But, his stupid mouth wouldn’t shut up.

“Can you blame me? You’ve been ignoring me in revenge for what I did and then I find out you’ve been seeing and having lunch with Ken?! Of all people?!”

“Ken listens to me! He’s a good friend! Unlike you!”

“I’m not your friend, I’m your boyfriend, Sunggyu!”

“You’ve been neither!”

That felt like a slap, and it was much more painful than any physical sting.

“Months, I waited for you to just be sincere and apologize! I’ll admit, I was petty for doing the same thing you did to me, but can you also blame me?! You left me in the dark for months, Woohyun! I had no idea what the hell was wrong with us and you wouldn’t tell me!”

“And I tried to tell you but you refuse to listen to me! What do you want, Sunggyu?! I did everything I could to show you how sorry I am! You didn’t acknowledge any of it! I was an , I’ll admit that, but I want to patch things up! But, you refuse to let me, so what am I supposed to do?! What am I supposed to think?!”

With a loud wail, Sunggyu threw himself at Woohyun and started hitting him with his fists, crying and screaming, “I hate you!” over and over again. And Woohyun took it all. He deserved them, after all.

As quickly as they began, the hits stopped as Sunggyu broke away from him and ran to the bedroom. He slammed the door shut and Woohyun heard the click of the lock.

He was locked out.

 


 

The morning after, Woohyun woke up feeling like complete and utter .

Not only was his entire body aching from sleeping on the uncomfortable couch, the early morning air was cold and there was no warm body he could press up to. His eyes were sore from all the tears he shed all night, his knuckles red from knocking and begging Sunggyu to come out of the bedroom.

Slowly, he sat up and immediately looked towards the bedroom door. Of course, it was still shut and probably locked. He checked the time: 6am. He had to get ready for work.

Going through the cupboards in the kitchen, he found the spare key to the bedroom. If Woohyun had been a true , he would have used the key last night to get into the bedroom and demanded Sunggyu to talk to him. But, he was trying very hard not to be such an .

But, this morning, he had no choice. He had to get ready for work.

Opening the bedroom door, he peeked in and the sight that greeted him broke his already cracked heart into pieces. Sunggyu was curled up under the covers, Woohyun’s pillow clutched tightly to his chest, dry tear tracks clear and evident on his cheeks.

Slowly and silently, Woohyun approached and got into the bed, sitting right next to his boyfriend’s slumbering body. Hesitantly, he reached out to touch the older’s disheveled hair. It was dry and coarse, but Woohyun loved it all the same. He loved everything about Sunggyu. He loved Sunggyu.

Leaning down, he pressed a kiss to the older’s head. “I love you,” he whispered. “I promise I’ll make it up to you.”

With that, he covered the older with the covers up to his chin before getting off the bed.

He grabbed a change of clothes and got ready for the day, preparing breakfast for Sunggyu before he left.

He swore he would make things right with the older when he got home that night.

 


A/N: Please don't hate, Woohyun. He's doing his best. :(

A short chapter for now to prepare you for the next chapter.