Epilogue: To Infinity

The Price of Pride

Sunggyu sighed for what was probably the hundredth time that day alone. Okay, one hundred was an exaggeration. Maybe, thirty, give or take.

In front of him, Dongwoo flashed him a look of concern. They were at their usual café, having their daily afternoon coffee date before heading home for the day.

“What’s wrong, hyung?” his large-mouthed friend asked him.

The older sighed again. “I think Woohyun is doing it again,” he answered, glumly.

Dongwoo blinked. “Doing what?”

“Being weird. It’s been a year since… you know… that thing… and he’s acting weird again.”

“By weird, you mean…?”

“Not talking to me… he’s spacing out a lot… and he came home late a few times this week.” Sunggyu sighed again. “Am I really that boring?”

“Well, did you talk to him about it?” Dongwoo asked. “I mean, you two agreed that you would talk about things if there are problems now. You still do pillow talks, right?”

“Well… yeah… but, he dozes off a lot in the middle of it these days,” Sunggyu mused, before sighing again. “What do I do, Dongwoo-yah? We’ve been doing so well.”

Surprisingly, Dongwoo only pursed his lips and patted his hand. “I’m sure things are okay. Don’t worry, Woohyun loves you.”

“Are you sure?” Sunggyu asked, doubtfully.

Dongwoo smiled, mysteriously. “I’m sure.”

Sunggyu was somewhat reassured. Besides, it wasn’t like Woohyun had stopped being affectionate. He still kissed and hugged him, so it wasn’t completely like last year’s incident. The change was just somewhat surprising so, he worried. Unlike last year, however, he did bring it up to the younger as soon as he noticed it. And Woohyun reassured him that everything was fine. It didn’t stop him from thinking about it, though.

And speaking of Woohyun, Sunggyu should probably head home now to prepare dinner for the two of them and relayed the information to Dongwoo.

“No!” the younger man exclaimed just as the older was getting up. “Um… I haven’t told you about my date with Ailee yet!”

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “Um… we talked about it earlier. You said you took her to the amusement park and she kissed you goodnight.”

“Oh… right… But, I didn’t tell you what happened during our coffee date afterwards! Come on, hyung! Stay a little longer! Woohyun won’t starve!”

The older hesitated but at his friend’s pout, sighed, giving in and texting Woohyun that he was going to be late.

Dongwoo didn’t let him go for another hour and a half and by the time he arrived home, Sunggyu was physically exhausted and wanted nothing more than to eat and go to bed.

“I’m home,” he called out, wearily as he stepped into the apartment and closing the door behind him.

He put his coat on the coat rack and removed his shoes.

“Woohyun? Are you home?” he called out again, all the while rotating his aching shoulders.

“In the kitchen, babe!” answered his boyfriend’s familiar voice.

So, Sunggyu padded over there, wondering if the younger man had cooked or brought food.

And to his surprise and delight, a smiling Woohyun, wearing a neat white button down and dark jeans, was standing by the table filled with food. There was a bowl of a fancy-looking salad, another bowl with soup, and on top of the two plates was a juicy-looking steak, cooked to perfection.

Sunggyu’s mouth watered as he stared at the food.

But, what wasn’t all on the table. There was also a small glass vase with a single rose and two flickering candles in glass holders on either side of it.

“Wow,” Sunggyu marveled, all of his exhaustion suddenly disappearing into thin air along with his earlier doubts and fears. His boyfriend was ever the romantic.

Woohyun’s smile widened as he began to fidget in his place, excitedly. “Do you like it?” he asked.

“I love it.” Sunggyu walked closer, eyes on the table before looking at Woohyun, suddenly worried. “What's the occasion? Did I forget something important? I’m sorry, babe.”

Woohyun hurriedly shook his head. “No, no! There’s no occasion. I just… I wanted to make you dinner.” He took Sunggyu’s hands in his and pressed a kiss to his cheek. “Shall we?”

Sunggyu nodded, excitedly and settled at the table. They both said their thanks and began to eat. Woohyun was an excellent cook, but with his job, he didn’t have many chances to showcase his skills. Thus, Sunggyu savored it. The steak was soft and practically melted in his mouth, the salad was fresh and light, and the soup was perfectly seasoned.

Across from him, Woohyun picked at his food, only watching Sunggyu devour his. Whenever the older sent him a questioning look, he would just smile and urge him to eat.

When dinner ended, Sunggyu was stuffed and ready to retire to bed. Across from him, Woohyun gazed at him, lovingly.

“How was it?” he asked.

Sunggyu gave him a thumbs up with one hand while patting his stomach with the other hand.

“If you feed me like that every day, I’ll get fat,” he joked.

Woohyun’s smile widened. “I’d be happy to feed you like that for the rest of our lives… if you would let me.”

There was something about the younger’s tone that made Sunggyu stop and really look at him. His younger boyfriend looked nervous, yet giddy at the same time. There were flashes of excitement yet worry in his deep brown eyes, and Sunggyu couldn’t decipher as to why.

“Do I make you happy, Sunggyu?” Woohyun suddenly asked.

The older blinked, confused. “Of course. Why wouldn’t you think so?”

Woohyun shrugged. “I just needed to know.”

Sunggyu reached out with a hand, silently asking the younger for his. He held on to the smaller hand, tightly. “I love you and you make me happy. I hope I do the same for you,” he teased.

“You have no idea.” Woohyun’s hand caressed his own. “You make me so happy, Sunggyu. I can’t imagine being with anyone else, waking up to anyone else every morning, or going to sleep with anyone else in my arms.”

His flowery words made Sunggyu blush and warmed his heart. He felt the same way. He couldn’t imagine being with anyone else but Woohyun. He was the only one he could see in the future, and he had no intention of changing that.

“I’m sorry if I make so many mistakes. I’m not perfect and I can’t promise that I won’t make more mistakes, because I know I will,” Woohyun continued. “But, if you’ll let me, if I make you sad, I’ll always make sure I cheer you up afterwards. If I make you cry, I’ll wipe your tears away. And if I make you angry, I’ll remind you about how much I love you and beg for your forgiveness.”

His words confused Sunggyu now. He had no idea where they were suddenly coming from.

“W-Woohyun?” he managed, but unable to find the rest of his words.

Because Woohyun had stood up from his chair and went over to him. Sunggyu’s heart pounded hard against his chest as the younger went down on one knee in front of him, looking into his eyes, right into his soul, conveying his feelings.

Silently, Woohyun reached into his pocket and took out… a ring.

Sunggyu gasped, his mouth slightly open as he stared at the white gold piece of jewelry that Wooyhun was holding out to him. Upon closer inspection, the ring had an infinity sign etched into it, and a small gem glittered in the middle.

His gaze moved back to Woohyun, who was now smiling hopefully at him, his eyes glistening, the warmth of love emanating from those beautiful brown eyes.

“Kim Sunggyu… Despite all my imperfections, my insecurities, and all my mistakes, there’s only one thing I’m sure of and that’s my love for you… If you still want me… I’d like to spend the rest of my life with you… Will you marry me?”

He wasn’t sure how long he sat there, staring at Woohyun… staring at the ring… But, it must have been long enough as the younger started looking nervous. The earlier brightness in his eyes disappeared, replaced by the dullness of unsureness as he slipped the ring back into his pocket, solemnly.

Meanwhile, Sunggyu’s heart swelled in happiness as he felt his lips trembling, the warning sign of incoming tears. Only Woohyun could reduce him to such a state.

“I… I get if you’re not ready," the younger stammered, clearly disappointed and making effort to keep his own tears at bay. "I can wait… I’ll wait until-.”

But, Woohyun was interrupted by Sunggyu grabbing his collar and pulling him in for a deep, passionate kiss, the traitorous tears finally slipping out. All of his own doubts and fears were washed away and he could only see the future… the bright future of limitless possibilities... with Woohyun.

Gently, he pulled away and whispered a loving “Yes” against the younger’s lips.

Woohyun’s eyes widened in shock. “R-Really?” he asked in disbelief.

He placed his hands on Sunggyu’s cheeks, squishing them lightly. The older was much too happy to reprimand him as he frantically nodded his head in confirmation.

“Yes,” he said again, with a gleeful laugh. “Yes, I’ll marry you, idiot!”

“Thank God!” Woohyun shot up to his feet, grabbing Sunggyu and kissing him again, hands cupping his face.

The older wrapped his arms around Woohyun’s waist as the younger showered his lips, nose, cheeks, his entire face with kisses.

Once he had calmed down, Woohyun managed to fish the ring out of his pocket again and slip it into Sunggyu’s finger, planting a kiss right on top of it.

The little gem glittered, the light bouncing off the surface, emphasizing the infinity sign carved into it... a promise of forever.

Happily, Sunggyu pulled him in for another kiss, whispering “I love you’s” against Woohyun’s lips.

Neither of them was perfect. They’ve both made mistakes, hurt each other, and made each other cry.

But, at the end of the day, there was only one person that Sunggyu wanted to come home to. There was only one person whose face he wanted to see before falling asleep. There was only one person whose arms were the ones he would wake up in. And that person was Nam Woohyun.

Nothing else mattered.


 

A/N: Did I surprise you? I hope I did! I know that was short, but I hope it was sweet!