The Stranger I Fell in Love With

Love Bet {HIATUS}

Yukiko's POV:

   What the hell is Nakajima Yuto doing in my house???

   Nakajima looks at me and grins happily.
   "Yuki - Hiromi? Did you need to talk to me about something?" he asks me.

   Why does he have the voice of Yuji? I wonder. And how does he know my name?!
   I"m still speechless, wondering how in the world this celebrity had come into my home and addressed me. He looks a liittle tired and confused, and no one can deny that he's good-looking. Really good-looking. I had only ever seen this face on the television, along with the rest of Hey! Say! JUMP, but there was something about him that was undeniably familiar about his appearance, and the sound of his footsteps...

   He's wearing Onee-chan's clothes.

   Confusion almost chokes me.
   What's going on?

 

   "Hiromi..?" Nakajima says in Yuji's voice. "What's wrong..."

   And then he takes a closer look at my face and gives a slow gasp. His eyes widen and his lips open in realization. He puts a hand to his mouth and shakes his head.

   "Yuki...your glasses," he says, looking down at the ground, unable to face me.

   And then everything clicks. This person isn't just Nakajima Yuto. He is also Nakamura Yuji, the boy I had fallen in love with.

   "Nakajima Yuto?" I finally say. "Or Yuji - or - Nakamura-san -" I look away from him, unable to believe my eyes. Nakamura-san....Yuji...he was Nakajima Yuto the entire time, and I had never known it?

   I close my eyes. I don't know if I want to yell at him or act formally, now that I know who he is.
   The sound of his familiar careful stride comes over to me and I feel his fingers wrap around my wrist.

   "Yuki...please, I can explain," he says to me, I take a peek at him.

   His eyes are pleading, watering even. But for some strange reason, I don't feel any remorse. The face I'm looking into isn't Yuji's face. This is not the face that I fell in love with. This is Nakajima Yuto's face.

   "What do you need to explain, Nakajima-san?" I say, pursing my lips, tone extremely formal.

   There's a flash of pain that goes through his face, and I feel even more conflicted inside. I'm still confused about what's going on - this is happening way too fast.

   "I want to explain....about why I -"

   "Lied to me?" I finish for him. "Hid this big secret of yours from me, taking advantage of my terrible sight? Is that it?"

   I don't know where those words came from, I guess it's just because I feel a little betrayed. Used, even.
   The fingers around my wrist are starting to hurt; his grip is tightening.

   "No, I, well yes but - I never thought of it that way -"

   And suddenly my shock turns to anger.

   "Never thought of it like what?" I demand. "Did you ever think about how I would feel when you showed yourself to me? Did you really think that I would just wave it all away and accept you just because you're famous?"

   Why am I being so difficult? What's wrong with me?!

   "I..." his voice sounds hoarse and tired. 

   There's a pause between us as I wait for him to continue.
   He doesn't.

   "Who exactly are you, anyway?" I ask softly, my voice cracking. "Are you Nakamura-Yuji...or are you..."

   None of us answer.
   I sigh and shut my eyes. With my eyes shut, it's easy to remember what it felt like to be with Yuji, and feel the simple easiness that we always seemed to have. It's easy to think that this person beside me is the person I fell in love with.
   But then I open my eyes and stare into the face of this stranger, and I'm immediately disappointed.

   "Yuki?" he says, but the name has no meaning while I'm looking at his face.

   "Nakajima-san," I say.

   There's a kind of finality to how I say his name that makes him wince.

   "Yes?" he whispers on a breath, barely audible.
   I hear it anyways.

   "Maybe...maybe we should forget all of this ever happened," I say.

   He gulps and faces the floor, eyes closed.

   "Hai," he says, and heads for the door.

   Yuto's POV:

   I can't believe she just said that.
   Why is this happening so fast? Does she hate me so much already?
   I had never thought once that Yukiko would feel the slightest bit sad over the fact that I was really famous, a member of Hey! Say! JUMP. I guess I was just too stupid.

   I shouldn't have left her glasses on the floor....

   And then what would that have done? She was bound to find out anyway.
   But not like this....not in this way....

   "Hai," I say, and turn around to head for the door.
   But as I'm walking over there, my heart feels like it will fail soon. Walking out of this door and obeying Yuki's suggestion will mean that I will never be able to see her again. I will never see her smile, of smell that familiar scent of the flower shop - the smell that never seems to leave her no matter where she goes - touch her beautiful satin skin and...
   I will never kiss her.
   The thought had come to me tons of times before, but now that I know that that will never happen, I know that I have to tell her something. Something that I'd been trying so hard for her to forget for so long.

   I'm at the door now, my hand on the knob.
   Slowly, I turn it, let it swing open, and face her.
   She has her back to me, and her shoulders are hunched and tense. My heart is constricting in on itself, unable to bear the finality of the moment. But I choke down my faults and start to speak anyway.

   "Yuki," I see her head rise a little at the sound of my voice. "Yuki...I know that you feel as if I'd betrayed you in some way, or that I had hurt you. And I want you to know that I had never meant for it to be this way. All I'd wanted was to know what it felt like to be treated normally, to be thought of not as Nakajima Yuto, that famous person, but as someone normal, someone that doesn't have to be the world's puppet. I wanted to find a friend, someone that wouldn't like me for what I did or how I looked like, but for who I really am."

   She doesn't say anything, but I continue anyway.

   "Yuki...you say that I had taken advantage of you, made a fool out of yourself and your poor sight, but I want to let you know that your sight is one of the things I like best about you."

   Her clenched hand releases its grip on itself. But she doesn't turn around. I want to see her face, the expression that she will make when I say my next words. But I won't force her. The least she can do for me is listen.

   "Your eyesight made you not judge me for being who I am. It made you see me in the best way possible, without anything in the way of it. And at the end of everything...earlier, I'd said that I'd wanted a friend. But after I'd met you I realized that I wouldn't want you to be my friend."

   Her hand clenched into a fist again.

   "I wanted you to be more," I say softly. I make my voice as gentle as possible, trying to make her understand what I mean through these words that I'm saying. "So yes, if you're wondering what I mean by that, it does mean that I'm in love with you. And I have been since the day I met you."

   I hear her let out a collective breath, fist unclenching once more.

   "Do you...." I take a deep breath. "Did you at all....did you love me too?"

   I hold my breath until it feels like I'll explode if I don't breathe again, but I want to hear her answer. If it's the last thing I do, I want to know how she feels about me. I want to know if she loves me too.

   I see her glasses fall to the floor, and she faces me.
   Her face is an emotionless mask, swiped of feeling.

   "Nakajima-san, I'm sorry, but...I'm afraid I've never thought of you like that before."

  Your ability to love and forget will grant you no reward Your ability to love and forget will grant you no reward Your ability to love and forget will grant you no reward.
    I know that now I have to leave.
   Now I have to it up and walk away, forget all of this ever happened, and go back to how it had always been, when people didn't care about me for who I was but for what I did and how I looked on television.
   I have to walk away from the flower shop that I've come to know as the home that is more welcoming than my real home, I have to walk away from the memories that had taken place here, the events of this week, Nakamura Yuji....
   I have to walk away from the love of my life.
   I know that I don't have enough willpower and enough strength to walk away.
   Looking at the face of her, the face that I've loved and will probably continue to love even after I've left, I know that I cannot walk away.

                                                                                  I have to run.

Yukiko's POV:

   As soon as he leaves the room, never to come back, I have to wait until I hear the front door tinkle and slam before I burst out crying.
   Right when he'd confessed to me I'd wanted to run to him, to wrap my arms around him and tell him the truth, that I loved him too, that he doesn't have to leave.
   But then how would I have said it?

   I love you, Nakajima-san? Yuto? Nakamura Yuji?

   Also, there's the whole deal about Ryouma.
   And then at that moment, something clicks in my head and suddenly the image of Ryouma that night that I'd found the fish on his finger becomes so much more clear to me.

   Of course.

   Nakamura Yuji. Nakajima Yuto.
   Yamato Ryouma. Yamada Ryosuke.

   How could I have been so stupid?!
   And how could my luck have been worse? I can already imagine Chiyo's mouth open in surprise and playful jealousy, telling me how lucky I was to have nabbed the hearts of two good-looking boys....
   Chiyo.
   She must've have known all along; she has much better eyesight than me.

   Has everyone been keeping something from me?!
   And is Chikafuji Yukio really who he says he is? They had told me he was short and innocent looking.
   So Chinen Yuri was also in this little game too.
   No wonder Chiyo had told me that she was probably not good enough for him. He was famous. But so is Yuji and Ryouma, apparently. Or am I now unable to say those names, now that I know they were all both just lying?

   I was betrayed by so many people that I love.

   Still crying, I let the sobs wrack at my body almost painfully. Grabbing the clothes from the floor, I throw them onto the bed and I lie on it, inhaling all of Yuji, the boy who no longer existed.

 

 

 

                        THANK YOU FOR READING THE THIRTEENTH CHAPTER!!
Okay so now Ryosuke, Yuri and Yuto had left (specifically in that order) ! 
           Will they all get back together? Will things get fixed, or turn out for the worst?
                              FIND OUT IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!!

 

PS: Sorry that it took me a hell of a long time to write this chapter !!!!! So many things have been thrown at me all at once and I was under so much stress I didn't have time to update !! >_< Please forgive!!