The SecretKeeper

Love Bet {HIATUS}

Chiyo's POV:

   As I head to Yukiko's place, I feel my cell phone vibrate in my pocket.
   It's a text from my mom.

   Pick up some of your father's ointment at the convenient store, honey. He's run out.
  Pick up my dry cleaning on the way, too. You won't mind paying, would you? - Mom.

   No, of course not, mother, I think, rolling my eyes. I already know that my "father's ointment" is not my father's at all, but my mom's personal trainer (who's more 'personal' than 'trainer'), and that she's not really out finding a job. I look at the date on the calendar. It's a Saturday. She'll be coming home much later than she's really supposed to. I don't have to do what she wants right away.
   I'm already at the front of the convenient store, though, so I might as well
get her orders done and over with.
   Before I'm inside, I catch a familiar sight in the parking lot. My eyes widen.
   It's Yuki's family pickup truck! I guess I can see her earlier than I'd thought I would...

Yukiko's POV:

   "Did you find any cough medicine yet?" I ask Nakamura-san. 

   "I'm looking, I'm looking, stop being so impatient," he says. His voice sounds farther away. He must be in some different aisle, now.
   I'm getting kind of used to doing things without my glasses. I'm familiar with the flower shop, so I can navigate myself pretty efficiently. It's the same with all the other places that I'm used to going to. And when I'm confused about where to go, I can just grab on to Nakamura-san's shirt and follow. It's like having my own little dog. I shouldn't tell him that I think of him like that, though.

   And then I see his blurred image make his way over to me.
   "Here," he says, dropping the medicine into the shopping basket I'm holding. "Is that it?" 

   I feel around in the basket, counting how much medicine we've collected. For all the brands that we need, we should have at least ten containers. "...eight, nine, ten."

   I nod my head at him and push the basket in his arms. "Now go buy it."

   He looks surprised.
   "Why do I have to do everything? Can't you?"

   I cross my eyes and point at my face, indicating my blindness.
   He scowls at me, takes the basket and heads to the counter. I smile. I guess being partly blind isn't all that bad. And then a loud squeal pierces through the silence of the store. Well, through the cheesy music playing in the background.

   I turn toward the place where the sound had originated, but I don't have to see perfectly to know who had just squealed.
   "Chiyo?!"

   I see the blurred petite figure of my friend run over to me and wrap her arms around me. I hug her back ferociously.
   "I thought you weren't due to come back for another two weeks!!" I exclaim.

   "I thought so too!" she says happily. We laugh and hug some more.
 
   "So," I say. "How are you back so soon?"

   But before she can answer, Nakamura-san intrudes into our conversation.
   "Hiromi-san, I'm done so can we head back no-" he stops when he sees Chiyo.

Yuto's POV:

    Who's this person beside Yukiko? I think.
   Immediately, I bring my hat down over my face in case she's a fan of HSJ. Because of this, I have to raise my head so I can see the two of them.
   I see her raise her eyebrows in question and look me up and down. I know that i should be used to being stared at, being part of Hey Say Jump, but there's something about how this girl looks at me that I'm particularly nervous about.

   "Uh, hi?" I say.

   "Ah, Nakamura-san, I would like for you to meet Kawasaki Chiyo, my best friend in the whole entire world!" Yukiko-san says to me.

   I nod, though I bet it looks weird with my hat pulled down so low and my chin so high.
   "Ah...hi," I say. "Watakushi wa Nakamura Yuji desu. Hajimemae."

   "Hajimemae," she says back. "Why are you with Yuki and why are you dressed so funny? Are you two going out?" she asks, grinning widely.

   My stomach gets butterflies by what she says, but the butterflies vanish when Yukiko answers.

   "Eh?! Chiyo, stop joking around! Nakamura-san is just this annoying guy that helps around the store. Speaking of, we should get back by now. His friend, Ryouma-chan is helping out with oka-san. She's sick."

   While Kawasaki-san gets all worried about Yukiko's mom, I still can't get over the words that she'd said. They had really hurt. I mean, for one thing, she didn't really have to add "annoying" in when she was describing who I was. And when did she start calling Ryousuke Ryouma-chan while she calls me Nakamura-san? I feel my chest tighten.

   "So, I suspect that you're coming?" Yukiko asks Kawasaki.

   "Un," she answers. "I've been waiting a while to come back." And then she regards Yukiko again and groans. "Ne~Yuki, you lost your glasses again?"

   She bows her head in mock shame. "...un. You going to kill me now?"

   "Ah, I'll wait until you're sleeping," Kawasaki says and they laugh together as they link arms and head out of the store, not giving me a second look.

   "...Is this what it feels like to be ignored?" I say to myself out loud.

   Sighing, I head to the pickup, and take a seat in the back, since Kawasaki had taken the spot at the driver's.

Ryousuke's POV:

   I'm so relieved that I had finally gotten this woman to sleep!
   Just as I'm about to slump down in my chair, the chimes at the door go off and the sound of Yuto, Yukiko and another person's voice drift upstairs. They're being especially loud, particularly the feminine voice that I don't recognize.

   "Kyaaaaaa~~~I'm home!!" the voice squeals.

   "Hah?" I look at Oba-san to see her staring back at me. "Ah, what a cute little girl," she says. "How cute are you! I think you could be a model! So kawaii~~"

   Not only am I really offended by that, but I'm really frustrated at the fact that she's up and making noise again. This feels too much like I'm taking care of a big elderly baby..
   Desperate to escape, I leave the room while she babbles and head down the stairs.

   "What took you guys so long?" I demand. "Do you know what I had to go through with -" I stop short when I see that they're not alone.

   It seems that the girl's voice I'd heard from upstairs is a teenage girl. And she's staring right at me, jaw dropped and eyes wide.
   Yuto is also looking at me
, waving his hands furiously, motioning for me to head back up the stairs and vanish. And then I finally understand what it all means. Looking down at myself, I realize that unlike Yuto, I'm not wearing a disguise. This girl knows that I am definitely not Yamato Ryouma, but Yamada Ryousuke.

   "Kyaaa~~~~!!!!!!!!! IT"S -"

   I rush forward and clap my hand down on .

   "YAMATO RYOUMA!!!" I say quickly. "Oh, so you know who I am! Hajimemae!!"

   And then I grab her and lead her away, motioning at Yuto to come follow me. I arrive at one of the public bathroom doors. Looking back at Yukiko, I see that she's looking confused.

   "Uhh...guys? You still there -"

   I slam the door.
   I face the girl that's staring at me and take a deep breath. 

   "Um, okay I don't know who you are, but -"

   "She's Kawasaki Chiyo, Yukiko's best friend in the whole wide world," Yuto says to me, mimicking Yukiko's tone of voice. He sounds strangely annoyed.

   "Okay then, Kawasaki-san, I want you to think of me as Yamato Ryouma," I tell her. 

   All she's doing is staring at me through the had that I've placed on . She's murmuring something behind my palm, but it's muffled.

   "...Okay, I'm going to let go of you and you have to promise that you'll be quiet," I say.

   She nods her head.
   I let go.

   "Uh-ah-um-" she stutters.

   I sigh.
   "Okay, I'm going to say this one more time. My name is Yamato Ryouma, not Yamada Ryousuke. Yamato Ryouma."

   Her eyebrows knit together in confusion.
   "But...you are obviously Yamada Ryousuke, are you not?" she asks.

   "Uh...un, I am." I look away. "But Yukiko doesn't know that and she can't know that the two of us are celebrities."

   "Ehhh?! The two of you?!" she turns to Yuto and rips off his hat, and I have to place my hand over for her not to squeal again.

   "Iz Nakujumma Yoootoooo," she exclaims through my hand.

   Yuto scowls at me and I smile sheepishly back at him.
   "Gomen?"

   He rolls his eyes at me and then grabs Kawasaki by the shoulders.
   "Kiku!!" he says. "You can't tell ANYONE that we're here, ESPECIALLY Yukiko."

   She looks confused. "Why noooooottt?" she asks.

   "Because...because we're trying to hide from the papparazzi and this is the only place that we could find that doesn't get all hyped up over who we are," I say, making stuff up. "And if you tell Yukiko, then she might do something that we'll regret." Of course I don't believe that, but I'm still making things up as I go.

   "BuuYukkukwuntelnooon," she says.

   I release her.

   "Ahh...but I don't think that Yuki would tell anyone," she says. "She's good at keeping secrets."

   I look at Yuto, raising my eyebrows, but his expression is grim.
   "Dame. I don't want her knowing," he says, and I end up agreeing with him.

   "Please?" I ask her, pleading with my eyes and pouting. "Please just do this one thing for us."

   She seems more than happy to accept.
   "Un! I'll keep your secret!" She puffs her chest out, trying to look superior. "Just call me the SecretKeeper!"

   The both of us have to laugh at that.

   And then we leave the bathroom, greeted by about five to ten pots strewn across the ground, soil and plants spilled. Looking up, we see Yukiko running around, knocking into a bunch of other things as she goes.
   She suddenly trips and falls.
   "Yuki?" Kawasaki-san asks, looking about ready to laugh. "Looks like you just about ruined a bunch of things. Okaasan won't be very happy..."

   Yukiko smiles sheepishly. "Gomen?"

   And all of us have to laugh.

Yuri's POV:

   I wonder what Yuto and Ryousuke have been up to.
   I know that we've got the week off as a vacation so we don't all have to meet up at JE, but now I realize that I'm really bored without any work. My friends are off somewhere I don't know, and my parents are busy working. Usually I would go and hang out with the other members of HSJ, but it's either they're off at some other place outside of Tokyo having fun, or sick, or busy, or just missing - cough, cough - Ryousuke and Yuto.

   So now I'm dedicating this day to finding them.

   I pick up my cell phone and dial Ryousuke's number. After about three rings, he picks up.

  "Moshimoshi," I hear on the other end.

 

 

 

 

What will go on with Yukiko, Chiyo, Yuto and Ryousuke living together all under one rooftop?! Will Yuri come in the picture? Keep on reading and find out!!
   ARIGATOU GOZAIMASUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU FOR READING MY FANFIC!!!
   PLEASE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE !!!!!!!!!!!! >.<