Petals

Love Bet {HIATUS}

Nakajima Yuto's POV:

   Hiromi Yukiko is really cute.
   And she isn't cute as in she dresses cute or puts on tons of make up and other crap on her face to make her look cute, but she's cute all by herself, like she isn't really trying to be, but she is anyway.
   Her personality, though, is everything but.

   The day I met her, I was in total disguise mode - I didn't look like Yuto Nakajima at all. I had a hat pulled over my face, a big baggy sweatshirt, my hood over my head and my gaze to the ground. So, in short form, I looked like some mindless hobo.
   When I say that I met her when she kicked me in the shin really hard, I'm not lying.
   And this was no regular kick - when I felt it, I thought I was going to die from the pain. So I turned around, expecting to see this macho body builder looking down at me and saying "Whaddayou lookin' at, punk?" But instead, I see a cute girl that's about my height, but slightly shorter, shoulder length black brown hair, and an outfit that includes a yellow dress on top and jeans on the bottom. She smelled like flowers.
   And she was looking at my chest with a blank stare.

   Later I found out why she was constantly looking the wrong way when I was talking to her and randomly bumping into things. The reason was simply that she had lost her glasses.

   So now would you like to know why I changed my name to Nakamura Yuji and agreed to this little bet?

   When she told me that she couldn't really see me, a little voice inside of me began yelling at me, saying: "Hey! Yuto! This girl can't see you! She doesn't know who you are! You can act normal around her!"

   Which meant she wouldn't scream my name out to the public every time she saw my face, she wouldn't babble to all her friends that she knew me, and she wouldn't act all fake and unreal with me.
   I want a girl that I can relate to, and let her tell me everything.

   Not a girl that only dates me for publicity.

   And now, looking at Hiromi Yukiko, I know that I've found that girl.

Yukiko's POV:

   This jerk keeps on following me around.
   He's making me feel really self-conscious, because for one thing, I don't know what the hell he looks like. He could be some expert cerial killer, or an old man that sounds like a boy my age that plans to take advantage of me, or a shinobi (ninja), even. 
   And now I can hear him laugh that irritating laugh he has every time I walk into a pole, or I stub my toe on something, or bump into a little kid running around mindlessly. 
   And I mean, I'm not that blind - I can see little blurred images, but they might not be what I think they are. LIke for instance, that litle kid running around mindlessly looked like a stray dog to me. I had said sorry to him after bumping into him and patted his head and scratched behind his ears. It was only after he had run off and said "Crazy lady," that I knew that that dog wasn't a dog after all.
   Yuji had burst out laughing.
   I cast an angry scowl at him - at least I think I did - and began to walk faster.

   "Where are you going, anyway?" I heard Yuji call to me.

   "Nowhere you have the business of knowing," I called back. I clenched my fists and stalked in the direction that I thought would be where my mother's flower shop would be.

   "Actually, it is my business." Yuji's voice was now right beside me. "The bet specifically states that I have to follow you around and make sure you don't break rules."

   I snorted. "So you don't trust me," I say.

   "Well, technically, I just met you, so no."

   I sigh. "Fine. I'm going to my mother's flower shop, and I can't really see where I'm going, so could you help a little, please?"

   He laughed and I gritted my teeth.

   "So you mean to tell me this entire time you had no idea where we were going?" he asks. "Okay then, tell me where it is and what it's called. I'll lead the way."

   Grudgingly, I told him the place. "It's called Petals."

   "That's pretty."

   And then he took my hand.
   So of course, the first thing I do is twist his arm around and hold it there.

   "Ittai!!" he yelled. "What are you doing?!"

   "What are you doing?" I asked. "Did I say that you could hold my hand?"

   He thinks for a moment in pain. "Uhh...I guess you didn't."

   I let go and I see his blurred good hand rub the feeling back into the other. "Well then how am I supposed to lead you there?"

   I stopped to think. "You can touch my shoulder, but nothing else."

   He laughed. "Hai~fair enough."

   I feel the slight pressure of his hand on my shoulder, and then he started walking while I followed. After what seems like we've walked for about five minutes - I didn't dare make conversation with him - he halted.

  He cleared his throat.

   "We're here."

   I squinted my eyes at the building in front of me. It looked like my mother's flower shop, but any doubts I had about Yuji tricking me vanished when the familiar scent of it all came to me.

   "Thanks," I said, and grabbed hold of the doorknob. "Uh - why isn't this turning?" I asked, grabbing onto it with both hands. I turned it again.

   Yuji laughed. "Um~I think it's because that isn''t the doorknob. That's the head of a statue from that little birdbath in front of the door."

   I dropped the birdhead, scowling.

   "Here," he said, and then I hear the familiar creak of the door opening. The doorchime tinkled, and we stepped in.

Yuto's POV:

   Entering this flower shop is an experience that I wouldn't ever want to forget.
   The first thing that had hit me was the smell. It held the mixture of the scents of roses, tulips, some exotic plants, and there was a sort of sweet odor that just said: green.

   But actually seeing where those smells had come from was amazing in itself.
   All sorts of flowers and plants encircled me. The tiny store was decorated in a very humble atmosphere. Little delicate flowers stretched up on little vines while others had bloomed largely and gorgeously.
  
   "Okaa~san!" Yukiko called.
"I'm here!"

  There's the sound of a rustling. Then, "Oh, honey, why are you late again? Your shift started fifteen minutes ago, and don't think I'm going to pick up your slack -" A short chubby faced woman emerged from behind the front desk, holding a flowerpot. She stopped talking as she takes me in and smiles warmly. 

    "Well, hello there," she said to me. Then she looked at Yukiko. "Yuki! It's our first customer! Go ahead and greet him!" Then she disappeared behind a stack of fertilizer bags.

   "Wait - Mom -"

   But Yukiko's mom is already long gone.
   She groaned and faced me.
   "Well - you can go ahead and leave now," she said, shooing me out of the door. "Your assistance is no longer needed."
   While she walked she bumped into a table and a flowerpot goes flying. Quickly, I fall to the ground and catch it. Standing back up again, I passed the pot over to her and look at her smugly.
  

   "My assistance is no longer needed, huh?" I asked.

   She narrowed her eyes at me and spun around to get an apron.
   "Just - just don't get in my way," she said, sighing.
   I grinned and nodded. And then I remembered that she couldn't see me.

   "Anou...Of course. I wouldn't dream of it." And then my eye catched on to something. "Ne~Help Wanted? You need a new worker?"

   Her head snapped in the direction where my voice came from. "No! You are not going to work here! I forbid it!"

   And then Yukiko's mom appeared out of nowhere.
   "Ooo~a new worker?"  she said. "You're hired! Congratulations! We've needed a worker for a long time already!" She looks at her daughter. "Yuki, you can show him around and tell him what to do, ne?" 

   And then she disappears again, leaving behind a seething Yukiko.
   She stared daggers at a tulip. "I hate you..." she said, and grabbed an apron and threw it at my face.

   Pulling it off of my head, I laughed and called to her as she stalked off, "Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu!"

 

 

 

         Hope you liked the first chapter! Comments and Subscribes are welcome!! >.<