Chapter 8

Cliche at its best
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Its time. The D-day had officially started on that fine Friday morning. You’ve heard of TGIF right? I honestly think that’s a scam that Katy Perry had initially planned to pull on the world. Because in all seriousness, everything bad happens on Fridays. You have Friday the 13th, Black Fridays, last Friday when my parents dropped the marriage bomb, and to top it all off, I had to pull the unbelievable stunt this Friday.

 

Sigh, and to think Friday mornings were once the only mornings I could actually look forward to. I had started the day good enough, nothing particularly bad happened nor did anything out of the norm occurred. I woke up, had breakfast, greeted Mrs.Gyo and Mr.So and then proceed to get on the limo after saying ‘Hi’ to Mr.Kang. We left quite early to the academy and there really wasn’t anything off that would suggest that the day would turn out really bad.

 

We have 8 periods of classes in a day, one class usually taking up 2 periods at a time. There’s a 15 minute break after every class and Lunch time after 6 periods, leaving one more class to endure before being able to go home. The classes start at 9 a.m. and ends at 4 p.m. even though most students stay behind in school afterwards. Some have joined a club or is part of the school’s varsity teams, while others choose to hang around the school simply because it’s a convenient place to be in. 

 

Before I went to sleep yesterday night, Sehun had sent me a text saying that they’d decided to do the act on the 5th period, because Solji would be alone without her friends during that particular class. And that means I had to be on my way by the end of the 4th period. 

 

You must be wondering why it was so easy for me and the rest of the Exo members to leave classes as we please. But it’s simply because in the academy, the teachers don’t care much about what we do as long as it isn’t harmful to ourselves and the school. They believe that even if we decide to ditch, wear our skirts shorter, or dye our hair; it wouldn’t make a difference during exam period, the death penalty. The school had unbelievably difficult exams and the fact that we simply can’t cheat on any of them, was enough to put students in their seats during classes.

 

Once an invigilator sees you cheat, they’d put a big fat zero on the exam paper and then you’re done for. The students know better than to ditch, not daring to risk it and plus the school is the most prestigious in the country, they wouldn’t dare mess around. 

 

Coincidentally enough, the Exo members including Songhyun, Jaeyeol and myself, were able to maintain the top 10 in the entire school. We were even in the honours roll so the teachers themselves never really mind when we suddenly go awol.

 

Okay I just realised how cliche that is, but it’s the truth so there’s really no denying it all.

 

Anyway, once I reached school I quickly made my way to the lockers, where it had become somewhat a routine to meet up with Sehun before classes start. Before my sudden “friendship” with Exo happened, Sehun had usually shown up later than I had. But now that we were close enough, Sehun and I had made it a point to always wait for each other by the lockers. I sincerely never thought he and I could ever be this close, but voilá, there we were.

 

I saw him leaning on his locker as always, brows furrowed in concentration and eyes unwavering as he focused on his phone in hand. He must have heard my footsteps as I got closer to him because he had looked up my way, and then proceeded to give me a small smile.

 

I motioned a small wave towards him and smiled back, finally reaching my locker and pressing my thumb on the lock so it would open. Yes, the lockers were awesome because we had fingerprint scanners as locks and each student gets 2 door’s worth of lockers.

 

If you’ve ever seen high-school musical and remembered that scene where they showed Sharpay Evans’ locker, you would get the picture perfectly. Just that every student is allowed to decorate the locker on their own, and I emphasize the fact that no one decorates their lockers like Sharpay Evans. She was just nasty.

 

“What cha’ got there?” I asked as I arranged my books, referring to Sehun’s mind-bent concentration on his phone. He seemed to shrug lightly, “Nothing much really. I’ve just been scanning the school’s website, and found a lot of people talking about you and Baekhyun hyung already.” 

 

I finished packing my books with a heave and shut the locker doors  close before turning to Sehun, an irritated look on my face, “As if that isn’t obvious enough. People literally become magnets or something when I walk past, getting closer to whisper stuff about me, like I’m not there and I don’t know what they’re doing. Seriously, do they think I’m that stupid?”

 

We started to walk together towards our first class, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of the school, since it was still without the many students in it. Sehun smiled pitifully at me, “Just ignore them Mi, that kind of thing shouldn’t bother you. There are a lot more important things to think about like, are you ready for today and what may come after? Are you okay with the wedding going to take place next week? Or even better, what do you think of Baekhyun hyung now?”

 

After hearing his opinion on my rant, I grumbled at him with a pout. He always knows just the right questions to ask, and he actually had a point when he said that I had a lot of other more pressing matters to address. I answered him as we reached the still abandoned classroom, and settled on to our seats in the middle row,

 

“Ah, you always know just what questions need to be asked Sehun. But I suppose you’re right, and honestly I really haven’t the time to think about other people when I’m always neck-deep in worries these days.” 

 

Sehun scrunched his eyebrows at me in confusion and slightly tilted his head before asking, “What do you mean worries? I thought you’re okay with everything now, you looked so comfortable with Baekhyun hyung yesterday, hugging and stuff.”

 

I huffed frustratedly at him while shaking my head with a tired smile, “Well you ought to have it figured out by now, the world hates me too much to let me have peace. To answer you prior questions though, no I’m not ready for today because I’m nervous around Baekhyun and no I’m not okay with the wedding happening next week and I probably never will but what can I really do.”

 

Sehun looked as if he was about to say something, but I was quick to stop him because I had more to tell him before anyone comes in the classroom, “Wait, before you say anything, I haven’t finished. If you remember yesterday, Chanyeol mentioned that he knew of my history with Solji and how everyone kind of knows. I haven’t told you this but when Baekhyun was trying to start over between us, wanting to make an effort this time around, the first question he asked me was about Solji and I.”

 

I looked to Sehun to see him casting an apprehensive look my way so I continued, “He said he saw me argue with her during study hall the other day and asked me what it was all about. I hadn’t answered him right then because I still hadn’t really trusted him yet, but then on Wednesday we went on a real date,” 

 

Sehun’s eyes went wide in surprise and gasped, “A REAL DATE?!” I quickly shushed him with a stern look in my eyes in case anyone happened to pass by, “Shush yes, so then we talked a lot and we talked about Solji and stuff. But what’s really got to me is that, if what Chanyeol said is right and everyone kind of knows, then how come Baekhyun had claimed he didn’t know a thing about it. I feel like that’s really suspicious and I had a thought that Baekhyun might have had used the topic solely as a way to ‘get to know me better’”.

 

He nodded slowly, facial expression clearly showing him deep in thought before his lips and squinting his eyes at me, “You have a point and I do admit that that’s kind of suspicious. But I feel like you shouldn’t really worry about whether he used it as a topic or if he was genuinely curious,”

 

I frowned at what he said and shook my head furiously, “No but then that would mean he lied to me. And that’s not okay in my dictionary.” It was his turn to shake his head, although slowly unlike me, and sighed, “No Mi, you have to look at it from his perspective too. He hadn’t a single thing to connect to you with, he had to find something to talk about with you. Solji is a real bother to you and what’s better than talking problems out to get someone to trust you?”

 

It was as if I had been glued to the spot when Sehun finally said it. He was 100% right. I was being way too selfish in this, and only because the world seemed to have taken a slight obsession in making my life harder by the day lately. I should start understanding Baekhyun better and I supposed he must have had a valid reason when doing something right? I trust it should all be for the better.

 

I quietly nodded at Sehun, somehow grateful for his words, “Damn, you’re right Sehun. Thanks a lot.” He smiled proudly at me and opened his mouth to answer me, but was interrupted by loud voices coming our way, and the door bursting open not a second after.

 

The both of us were ready to act as if we hadn’t been talking, but soon relaxed when we realised that it was just Chanyeol and Kyungsoo with Songhyun and Jaeyeol in tow. Songhyun seemed really happy that morning because she screamed loudly, “Good morning friends! What were you guys talking about?”

 

I pushed her face away as she was getting way too close and rolled my eyes, “Seriously, its like 8 in the ing morning. Where are you getting all this energy from?” She snickered at my reaction which I knew was totally anticipated by her, “Well hello Ms. Sunshine, or Mrs. Sunshine I guess, are you grumpy because Mr.Sunshine isn’t here yet? Needy of his love already Mi?”

 

I dropped my jaw at her comment and stood up with the intention to pull some of her hair off, but was caught by Jaeyeol who already had a hunch of what was about to happen. “Come on you two, grow up already. Cut it out Song, you know this just isn’t the right time to do this. And Mi, cheer up already, you’re way too young to act out grumpy all elderly-like.”

 

Songhyun had stuck out her tongue at me and I had a flashed my middle finger at her in pure annoyance. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were chuckling quietly at us while they seated themselves in front of me and Sehun respectively, while Songhyun sat behind Sehun and Jaeyeol behind me. 

 

Chanyeol twisted his body around and smiled at me, “How are you holding up?” I returned the smile, trying to look a bit more cheerful like him despite the serious talk I had with Sehun beforehand, “A little tired from the ‘holding up’ part, but I’m still here.”

 

Kyungsoo turned to look my way as well and joined into the conversation with his heart-shaped smile, “You really don’t have to worry, we came up with a fool-proof plan for your stage today.” I lifted an eyebrow in interest and curiosity before asking, “Is that so? How goes it?”

 

Just as Kyungsoo was about to answer, the door slammed open surprisingly for the second time that morning, and in came the rest of the Exo members, astonishingly enough, with Baekhyun trailing behind them. Something seemed to be going around because so many people were so energized that morning. Chen was smiling widely and making big gestures while he waved, “Wassup people! We in da house!”. 

 

Tao didn’t forget to join in on the morning fest and saluted as he entered, “Good morning y’all!”. To my delight however, Luhan and Kai were kind enough to spare me another loud greeting and had only smiled at all of us as they seated themselves close to our forming circle. 

 

Baekhyun had put his bag and cup of hot drink that I couldn’t figure out what, and walked towards me with a greeting smile. I smiled back at him, trying to put on a more cheerful one so he wouldn’t notice that anything’s wrong and watched as he comfortably seated himself on top of my table.

 

The others were already talking animatedly with each other when Baekhyun approached me, and as if they rehearsed everything, turned towards him as soon as he settled on top of my table. I lifted an eyebrow and made eye contact with Kai, who winked at me and nodded.

 

I was still quite confused, so I poked Baekhyun’s thigh before leaning my head to the side of his torso and asked, “Why have you all suddenly stopped your conversations so abruptly like this?” I heard Baekhyun chuckle above me and putting an arm around my shoulders to pull me closer, while I looked up to see him smiling, “I don’t know if anyone’s told you, but we’ve come up with a fool-proof plan for today.”

 

I lit up at his words and pointed at Kyungsoo, “That’s what Kyungsoo was about to tell me before you guys came in, so please do elaborate.” Kyungsoo clapped his hand and nodded solemnly, “Right, so as I was saying, you know that you’re supposed to be in Baek hyung’s office by the end of 4th period right? We’ve decided on everyone’s roles so the plan would work perfectly. Now, Sehun and Kai would be in Solji’s class on the 3rd and 4th period, and they would tell Solji on the start of 4th period that Baek hyung is expecting her by 6th period, but of course to come earlier if she wants to talk longer.”

 

I nodded at every word Kyungsoo said carefully and continued to listen to him, “By common sense, Solji would be on her way by 5th period because it would be the start of a new class. Songhyun and Jayeol would be in her next class and so they would be the one cueing the rest of us whether Solji has left for the office or not.”

 

The plan was seriously well thought and I wondered how long they poured over this. I was suddenly very grateful to all of them, they must have loved their Hyung very much to be willing to do all this, and with excitement too.

 

Chen looked at me with a smile and asked, “Do you know of that empty class room that’s across Baek hyung’s office Hyunmi?” I nodded slowly at him, vaguely recalling of its existence.

 

He smiled excitedly at me after my acknowledgement and said, “Chanyeol and I will be inside and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter