Chapter 6

Cliche at its best
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eyes.

 

They were the first things to greet me when I opened the classroom door. So many of them, unwavering and professedly piercing through my soul, as if my existence was of a disdainful disposition. Setting aside the misfortune that had single-handedly decided to latch onto my life, this was new. The teacher didn’t appear to look angry, she had merely raised an eyebrow, inquisitive in nature, “And what’s your excuse?”

 

Apathy had to become my strongest armour, in a world of conviction and indictee. I answered confidently, hubris being my intentions, “I was summoned by Byun Seonsaengnim, he wished to speak with me in his office.” Death-like silence filled the room, the teacher herself, looked bewildered at my answer. No one, for as long as Baekhyun taught in Prudential Academy, has ever been to his office or was allowed to be as affable with him except Exo. 

 

I had thought it fitting to justify my astonishing answer, in an attempt to cease the gawking, “He complimented me of my previous work, and had invited me to an open discussion regarding the matter.” The teacher could only sigh, before gesturing a hand as a signal for me to take my seat. She seemed resolute but by the looks of it, was enlightened by the rare news. I smiled at her indifferently, and proceeded to make my way to my seat. 

 

The stares just seemed to have become permanent and I was starting to get accustomed to them. Might as well get used to it anyway, since “permanent” threatened to stay a while, considering the fact that marriage is a forever thing. I turned a blind eye towards the numerous looks throughout that last class and all the way until everyone was dismissed, enduring the adversity with which I was faced. In those short-lived moments, ignorance was bliss and walking those treacherous grounds had never felt easier.

 

Sadly, Lady Luck had never really favoured me, and someone did not want to be ignored. Neither Songhyun nor Jaeyeol was in that last class with me, and thus I had to walk to the gates by my lonesome. I was unfocused and never really thought anyone would have had a solid enough reason to spite me for what’s happened, but as always, I was proven wrong.

 

Solji came into my line of sight, without her usual retinue of mindless girls. Apparently, her face displayed a strong expression of vehemence, while her stride was purposeful and energetic. Notwithstanding the fact that she was walking in my direction, I didn’t think she was that way because of me, and so I had continued with my nonchalance while keeping to my path.

 

But just as she was about to pass me, her shoulder struck mine with a force I never knew she had. The impact caused me to move back a step, losing my balance on the ground. Graciously enough, I regained my footing and whipped my head in Solji’s way. 

 

She shook her head angrily and hissed, “He’s mine .” I hadn't the time to respond to her in any way, because immediately after, she her heels and stomped away, her face flaring with anger even as she passed by the other students who knowingly moved away.

 

I shook my head at the sight and sighed, so Solji knew and she didn't like it at all. I sincerely did not know that Solji had a thing for Baekhyun, but that was stupid of me because who didn't? Evidently only me and Songhyun, and that was because she's interested in Sehun.

 

I'd only felt the gravity of the situation then, not knowing how the student body and even the school board, would react to the news come Monday. They wouldn't dare cause any problems but, who's to know how it's going to be during Baekhyun's classes and stuff. I knew for sure that it would be awkward or at least something, and that itself was enough to feed my anxiety.

 

I quickly continued on my way to the gate, realizing how Mr.Kang must have waited for me to show up. I hurried my pace until my limo came into view, and Mr.Kang smiled at me before opening the back door. I smiled back at him apologetically, before entering the car and starting my journey home.

 

The ride was uneventful as ever, and the silence had only made me think about my current predicaments. After pondering for a while, I decided that I should tell Baekhyun about my worries, so maybe he could help me with it. Telling Songhyun and Jaeyeol would be redundant somehow, because they couldn't do much and thus whatever they say would be considered as a secondary opinion.

 

Miraculously, not long after I got home and showered, my phone lit up with a message notification. I checked to see who it was and found that it was Baekhyun, peculiarly right after I decided upon myself to convene with him about my problem. His message read: 

"Are you free tonight? I forgot to remind you that you were supposed to tell me about your problem with the girls today, so I thought we could meet up and talk about it, what do you think?"

 

I typed in an answer quickly, feeling unnecessarily enthralled by his invitation. Honestly I thought I forbade myself from feeling anything like this, but I couldn't lie to myself and I was allowed to grow feelings for my future husband wasn't I? 

 

Me:

R u asking me out on a date rite now?

Mr.Random:

Maybe. So?

Me:

Okay. When and where to?

Mr.Random:

I'll pick u up at 6, anywhere rlly. If u've somewhere in mind, do tell me

Me:

No I hvn't thought of anywhere, u should decide

Mr.Random:

Kay c ya

 

I took a deep breath and turned to check the time, it was 15 to 5 and that meant I had about an hour to prepare. I calmed myself down before I did anything stupid like smile happily just because it's a date and set off in the direction of my walk-in closet instead, figuring out an outfit for the night. 

 

I glanced lightly at each of my evening clothes, searching for the the most appropriate one, an outfit that says "It's a date but I'm not really trying because I don't like you enough to", only because it's kind of, sort of the first date. Well at least one where we were both willing to go on.

 

After legitimately pondering for about 15 minutes, I settled with a tight off-shoulder floral top that stops at my ribs, pairing it with a short black skirt. The top had pink roses on them and had a black background, which was why I liked the outfit, both of my favourite colours together. I hand picked a pair of black suede Louboutin boots, that had heels and goes all the way up to a little past my knees. 

 

I looked in the mirror and made sure the skirt was still a couple inches from the boots to give it a better look, and thought of how I was going to do my hair and make-up. As I sat down in front of my dressing table, I decided upon light waves for the hair and natural make-up without too much contour and highlight, with subtle pink eye shadow and pink matte lipstick. 

 

I finished getting ready just in time to hear a knock on my door, followed by Mrs.Gyo entering the room with a smile, to tell me that "Young Master Baekhyun" had arrived and was waiting for me by the foyer.  I nodded at her and made a move to quickly grab a black coat and a small black bag for my phone and wallet. 

 

I slung my bag over one shoulder and hung the coat over my back as I went down the elevator to the first floor. The pounding on my chest was no longer a surprise, seeing as it had stayed a while since before Baekhyun arrived. I knew I was seriously doomed the moment I felt the slightest amount of feelings starting to grow, since that time Baekhyun had draped his blazer over my shoulders because I was cold.

 

I can't help it if I'm a er for gentlemanly acts okay.

 

As such, I inhaled a lungful of air and made my way towards the foyer, the sound of my heels being my only companion. I steeled myself a little before opening the doors to the foyer, to see Baekhyun standing by the high table in the middle of the room, phone in hand.

 

He was dressed in a simple white shirt, that was lined with black on the collars and down to either side of the buttons. He had on a pair of white-washed black jeans that he matched with a pair of sneakers, while donning a thin bomber jacket. I bit my lip to prevent myself from being a complete idiot by squealing at how he looked that night, and instead chose to walk over to him and made my presence known. He looked up from his phone and smiled when we made eye contact, his eyes widening a little bit as soon as I got closer. 

 

I tilted my head a bit as I approached him, "What? Why are you looking at me like that?" He shook his head while his lips, the corners of his mouth twitching upwards, "Nothing, you just look really pretty."

 

The compliment caught of me off guard, I didn't think he was that serious about it being a legitimate date, where the couple compliment each other and hold hands and . I thought we were starting slow but no, Byun Baekhyun decided that he was going to fast-forward everything. ing hell.

 

But I didn't express any of that and instead blushed lightly, "Thanks, you don't look half-bad either." He smiled and held out his arm, a sign for me to take it, "Shall we?"

 

Although reluctant at heart, I naturally nodded and slipped my hand around his arm, letting him guide me as we walked towards his car, a different one than the last porsche. Mr.So stood by the doors, opening them as we passed through, obviously smiling at us with a different motive than just common courtesy. I looked back at him as we stepped out, enough to see the wink he gave me.

 

Damn even the staff knew what's up.

 

Baekhyun opened my door for me, and circled around to his door while I got in and settled on my seat. Without too much hassle, we were soon on our way, which reminded me that our destination was still a mystery to me. "Have you decided where we're going yet?" I asked while I turned my head his way, tone and expression without neither hostility nor ignorance. He nodded slightly, letting a hand fall down from the steering wheel and on to the armrest, "I have, what do you think about Italian?"

 

I leaned back on my seat with a knowing smile, "Ah yes nothing can go wrong with Italian, I see you're playing safe. But no worries, I have a sudden craving for some pesto." Baekhyun chuckled at my answ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter