Chapter 10

Cliche at its best
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Oh. My. God.

 

Was Jaeyeol actually jealous?

 

That was the first thought that crossed my mind as soon as I woke up on the Saturday of the most eventful week of my life… Yet. Knowing the upcoming schedule I had which consisted of my imminent marriage to Baekhyun, I had a feeling ‘eventful’, doesn’t even begin to cover it.

 

My eyes caught the rays of sunlight streaming in through the cracks of the curtain, causing me to wake earlier than I intended to. I moved my hand to disable the alarm, so it wouldn’t ring and disturb my peace since I didn’t need it to. It was 15 minutes to my pre-designated wake-up time, so I had taken liberty in continuing to ponder over the thought.

 

At first, I myself had been skeptical of it. Just thinking of the possibility in which it can happen was just, well, impossible. Jae had been my best friend for ages then, literally since I was in diapers. Okay, maybe not that long considering the annoying fact that I had been best friends with Solji once. Ugh, cringe.

 

But mulling it over and over in my brain had made it sound so, plausible. What if it was true? That Jae really was jealous of my relationship with Baekhyun. However on second thoughts, it was kind of improbable since Jae had been there during my last relationship, and he had no problems whatsoever.

 

Maybe he really was just concerned about me, afraid that falling so fast in love together would somehow jeopardize the entire relationship. Or maybe, he had only realized then that he liked me and it was just a terrible coincidence that I had been arranged to marry Baekhyun this way. Thus justifying and/or explaining his sudden, weird warning. 

 

What the was I even doing at 7.45 a.m.? Overthinking things without having any base to it at all, literally nothing supported my doubts about Jaeyeol’s ‘maybe’ feelings towards me. Therefore, I had wisely decided that I should enlist the help of my fiancee. Yes, so early in the morning, and yes I knew he’s awake proven by the message notification which had abruptly popped up on my phone at exactly 7.47.

 

Mr.Random:

Good morning Mi (kiss)

Me: 

Morning Baekhyun (heart)

Me:

I’m in a crisis, help

Mr.Random:

This early in the morning? Hvn’t u just like, literally woken up?

Me:

Dude crises happen at odd hours of the day

Mr.Random:

Kay then shoot

Me:

Its totally freaky and I might be losing my mind tho

Mr.Random:

I believe u’ve lost ur mind ages ago

Me:

Well if u put it tht way -,-

Me:

I think Jae has a crush on me

Mr.Random:

Wht the actual ???

Me:

I told u its freaky

Me:

Don’t say I didn’t warn u

Mr.Random:

This isn’t working, Imma call u

 

As soon as his last text came in, my phone received an incoming call. I didn’t think he was serious about actually calling me, but there I was, once again proven wrong. I really should just learn my lesson and stop approximating how things will turn out based on my estimations, because life really hates me and things going my way is probably never going to happen.

 

So I had tapped on the magnified green button on the phone, putting his voice on speaker, “Hello?” There was a rustle of something moving from the other side of the phone, and then Baekhyun’s voice was heard, “Hey Mi.”

 

I had almost my pants when his voice came through the speaker, because holy , it sounded so hot. I supposed he had just woken up as well, and damn did that do wonders to his voice. It was suddenly a lot deeper and a lot huskier, raspy in all good ways. 

 

I tied my hair up into a messy bun as I answered him, “Have you just woken up too?” He hummed with his throat, sounding hella y in a lower octave, “Yeah but that doesn’t matter. Let’s come back to the situation at hand here, you have just said that you think that Jaeyeol has a crush on you. What the actual .”

 

I chuckled audibly into the phone, standing up from my bed to leave for the bathroom, not forgetting to take it with me. The maids don’t come into my room on weekends, they clean if I leave the room but if I don’t, they know I’m comfortable enough with the way the room is left, since I don’t make the move to ask them to clean it anyway.

 

I held the phone to my mouth as I walked, so as to make my voice clear and heard by Baekhyun from the other side, “Yesterday in your office, Jae said something.” Baekhyun was silent for a second, and I could imagine him raising an eyebrow in question before replying to the statement, “And what would that be?”

 

I had reached my bathroom at that point and was beginning to start my morning wash routine, not bothering to take a shower since I was planning on going to the gym downstairs and thus would just shower afterwards. I put the phone down far from the sink, but close enough that Baekhyun could still hear my voice, “Hold on, I’m going to wash my face and brush my teeth. I won’t take long, I’ll tell you about Jae after.”

 

I could hear Baekhyun’s disappointed groan as I turned the faucet and splashed water on my face, “You’re killing me with anxiety here. What did he say to you? To make it seem like he likes you? I mean come on hasn’t he been your best friend since forever now? If the guy likes you, wouldn’t he have made a move a long, long time ago? He’s seriously just begging me to punch him in the face, just as I’ve finally gotten you and now he acts all jealous. ain’t got the right to be, you’re my girl!”

 

I laughed internally at Baekhyun’s cute/enraged rant about Jaeyeol, cursing at my heart silently for skipping a beat when he said “my girl”. I swear to God that dude was not healthy for me, I was pretty sure hearts don’t skip beats normally and I was literally afraid to die. He wasn’t seriously going to kill me eventually with all the skipping-beats right?

 

Fortunately for Baekhyun, I managed to finish my morning wash routine as soon as he finished his adorable monologue about his clear annoyance over the matter. I picked up the phone with an audible laugh slipping through my lips this time, “Don’t hate the guy Baekhyun, I did say that I open quote, think, close quote that he has a crush on me. I never said that I was sure of it.”

 

I walked back towards my bed, ready to just lounge the day away with Baekhyun’s voice as my company, emanating from my phone. I hit the bed as Baekhyun sighed through the speaker, “Still, I think I have every right to blender his junior just for thinking about you in that way. I mean, why you of all people? There is like, a thousand other girls out there waiting for true love and .”

 

I laughed loudly as Baekhyun said the words, not expecting him to get this mad over something so trivial, “You don’t get to choose who you love Baekhyun, it just happens. But please tell me you won’t blender anyone’s junior just because they have some interest in me.”

 

Baekhyun’s scoff was heard loud and clear, accompanied by his heavy voice filled with apparent annoyance, “I don’t promise anything, but I’ll at least try to refrain. So, now won’t you tell me what he said? I’m seriously at a loss here on how you could come up with that crazy inference.”

 

Taking a deep breath before I began, I reached for my phone which was at arm’s length and put it close to my lips as I laid my head on the unkempt duvet, “I can’t recall everything in specific, but Jae’s point was very clear. He started teasing me about us making out and how I’m so comfortable with you so quick. I asked him what’s it to him anyway, but he had answered vaguely and instead inquired another question. He asked if I love you and I said that I’m getting there and will be there eventually, and naturally I didn’t really expect him to say anything back.”

 

I paused to sigh a little bit, and twisted my body so I laid comfortably on my back. “But apparently again, I was wrong. He started telling me how I should be careful of falling in love with you so fast because then, falling out of love quickly becomes a possibility and that would totally ruin our relationship. He kept saying that I should be careful with you since it’s a forever thing, and I remember him saying that I have to take heed especially since I literally can’t end it with you should anything, God forbid, happen in the future. He ended his speech with, open quote, regret hurts like a , close quote.”

 

Sighing had become like second nature to me at that point, and it was inevitable for me to do it before I continued to voice out my opinion with a bitter tone, “I can’t really tell why he would say it so suddenly like that, completely out of the blue. He had always been fine on the days before yesterday, and was even the very person who convinced Songhyun, who had her doubts about you on the first day, to let me give you and this whole marriage thing a shot.”

 

Baekhyun was surprisingly quiet at the other end of the line, and it was as if he wasn’t there listening. But I knew better and knew that he was probably thinking about it after attentively listening to my kind-of longass story. His reply came not too long after, his voice low and somehow small, as if he had been defeated, “He actually has a point. Do you think like that as well Mi? Be honest with me.”

 

I frowned hard at Baekhyun’s question, not quite believing that he had lacked faith in my feelings for him, “Of course not Baekhyun. Why would that even be a question? Obviously, I know he’s got a point, somewhere. But of course I’m not going to change anything between us for the sake of supposedly protecting myself. Everyone’s a fool in love and trusting you with basically my entire life is just a leap of faith that I have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter