K.O. 15

Knocked Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

K.O. 15

 

 

Amber’s POV

 

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I wanted to play and win with the team that’s why I assured coach yesterday that I can play today. But my mind and body don’t work with each other right now. Though my Dad kept on telling me that Grandma is fine, I still couldn’t shake away this worry that I was feeling. I was so distracted. And it showed with my performance in today’s game. Maybe I shouldn’t be here. But then again, I’m their captain.

 

I was feeling so down by the end of the first half. I was on our way to the lockers, preparing myself to be blamed by everyone when Kris suddenly appeared and dragged me away.

 

“Coach, we’ll just put some sense to this llama!” I heard him yell.

 

“Y-Yah! Where are you taking me???” I asked as I struggled to get out of his hold. “Y-yah! You’re… ch-choking… meeeh…” I managed to blurt out. Not long after, he released me from his hold and pushed me forward so suddenly, I lost balance and almost fell face flat on the floor. Thank God for my good reflex, I was able to step on my right foot at the right time. I was about to yell at him but all I saw was his retreating back.

 

“You still have your reflexes, but why are you so out of the game?” A familiar voice asked. When I looked in front of me, there she was, standing, looking at me straight through the eyes.

 

“S-Soojung…” That was all I can say as I was so ashamed with the way I played today. I didn’t even notice that she’s watching.

 

She didn’t say a word after that, but she released a sigh followed by an eye roll before stepping forward towards me. When she was already an arm’s length away, with her eyes still staring at me, as if she’s reading what’s in my mind, I saw at the corner of my vision how she lifted her right arm. By instinct, I cowered down and shielded the left side of my head with my arms.

 

When nothing happened, I took a peak in between my arms and saw a hurt expression on Soojung’s face. So I immediately stood straight and withdrew my hands.

 

“A-Aahhh, hehhhehe. S-sorry. I-It’s just by reflex especially f-from the past experience.” I said, trying to joke to lighten up her mood. Hey, I was the one who’s gloomy here.

 

She then looked down, her hair covering her pretty face, before I heard in her soft voice, “I’m sorry about that.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m at fault too. I scared you.”

 

“A-are you still scared… of me?”

 

“A-a bit, yeah.” I answered, scratching my not so itchy head.

 

And then, so suddenly, she looked up and pointed towards the direction of the basketball court and said, well more like a yell, “Then be afraid… BE VERY AFRAID TO DIE IF YOU STILL ARE GOING TO PLAY LIKE THAT IN THE 2ND HALF!”

 

“Wha~”

 

“Look, we know you’re worried with your grandmother, but didn’t you realize that they didn’t want you to worry because they didn’t want you to be like this?”

 

“I…” I tried to reply back, but darn, she’s in an outburst.

 

“Don’t you dare let your Grandma down, who’s trying to be tough out there and battle through the pain because she wanted you to be a tough kid too. Be that strong kid that she thought you to be – strong enough that when you face her after all of these, you’ll be proud to stand in front of her and tell her these stories of how you beat your opponents to pulp. Do you understand me?”

 

Woah… I was speechless at her outburst. I find her cute though. She’s too adorable that I find myself smiling afterwards.

 

“Yah, why are you smiling?”

 

“Because you’re cute...” I answered her quickly – too quick to realize that I blurted out what’s on my mind. “I-I mean… H-Hey, why are you talking informally to me by the way?” I retorted, trying to change the topic. But somehow, I saw how her face blush before she tried to hide it by looking on the side.

 

Calm down, heart.

 

“S-Sorry…”

 

“Apology accepted.” I said before facing the opposite side. “But thank you. Thank you for putting some sense into me. You’re right. I have to be a tough one, just as what my Grandma is doing.” I turned around again to look at her only to see her looking at me too. I smiled at her and hesitatingly lifted my hand to give her a pat on the head.

 

“I’m not a pet, you know.”

 

“Hehe… I know.”

 

“By the way, here.” She gave me the bag she’s holding on her other hand this whole time. I took it and looked at the box inside. “Open it.”

 

I did as I was told and saw a cookie as big as a saucer with the word “FIGHTING!” written on it. I was so shocked and was speechless for a while, before mumbling, “This is…”

 

“I was supposed to give that after the game to cheer you up with your Grandma’s situation, but I guess you needed it now.”

 

I was feeling elated… euphoric even. This means the biscuits are from her, right? Because of that blissful feeling, I unknowingly threw my arms around her and hugged her tightly mumbling repeatedly the words “Thank you” to her. I didn’t even notice that I was crying until I felt some light, soothing pats on my back.

 

“Shhh… It’s alright. It’s alright.” She cooed.

 

Out of the blue, the buzzer from the court rang, signalling the end of the cheerdancers’ performance. That was when we both realized what’s happening, we immediately pulled away from each other, looking at opposite sides as we try to hide the redness of our cheeks.

 

“I-I think y-you should go back.” 

 

“R-Right. Uhm… Th-Thanks again… A LOT.” I managed to say before I hurriedly ran away towards our locker.

 

I opened the door, step

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter