Kibum

Colors

 

 

When Jonghyun shifted against his chest Jinki opened one eye to peek at him. “Everything okay?”

The man hummed, leaning his chin on his hand laying on Jinki’s chest to look up at the older man. “There’s this art gallery downtown that has this competition for student pieces, and one of mine was chosen to be shown, and I was wondering if you’d want to go.” After a moment he finished, “With me that is.”

“I’d love to go with you.” Jinki softly smiled, arm moving to curl around the curve of Jonghyun’s waist. “You’ll have to forgive me though, I might be looking at you the entire time.”

Flustered, Jonghyun made a face and tried to hide in Jinki’s arm. “Stop~”

Jinki chuckled and moved onto his side to wrap both arms around the man, holding him close to his chest and kissing his hair, “Goodnight, Baby.”

Jonghyun’s arms wound themselves around Jinki’s body as he nuzzled closer. “Hold me for a little longer.”

“Twenty minutes and then we have to sleep.” Jinki’s eyes fluttered close as he drifted in the warmth and scent of Jonghyun. “I have to get up earlier tomorrow.”

“Stupid 8 am court dates,” Jonghyun muttered.

“A lot better than 6 am meetings with the other partners.”

“Eww. No meeting should ever be that early.”

“You’re telling me.” Jinki snorted, “I’ve been saying that since I became a partner.”

After a moment Jonghyun sighed and Jinki could feel the tension of his body melt off him. “You always smell so good.”

“Thank you.”

“I don’t know how to describe it, but,” Jonghyun took a deep breath, “It allows me to just relax like there’s no worry in the world.”

“I’m glad you feel that way about me,” Jinki’s voice was slowly getting softer as sleep tugged at him. “I could lay here holding you forever.”

“I wish you could.”

Jinki had a soft smile on his face as he felt Jonghyun gently moving his fingers on the bare skin of his back as sleep continued to take him deeper. When Jonghyun heard the quiet snores of the man he chuckled lightly and kissed Jinki’s chest before during over onto his side. He wiggled back so he could be spooned properly and Jinki woke up just enough to get comfy against him before the soft snores began again.

------

Jonghyun got a big kiss as he slipped out of Jinki’s passenger side door and headed toward the workshop to start on one of his pieces for the show at the end of the year. With the music playing in his ears and his apron around his waist, he got lost in his canvas. So much so that he didn’t hear his best friend coming in even with how loud the man was. He only heard him when the song changed through his headphones. Jonghyun’s heart jumped at the sudden noise, but he relaxed when he turned to see Kibum. “Jesus, don’t sneak up on me like that!”

“I thought we established I’m just Kibum in public?” Jonghyun groaned as he put his paintbrush down and Kibum laughed. “My bad. We still on for lunch?”

“.”

“Ima take that as a no then.”

“I completely forgot,” Jonghyun sighed, putting his paint on the table and wiping his hands off. “I’ve just been so wrapped up with Jinki and how serious we’ve gotten and-”

Kibum leaned on one hand and gazed over at the man with a devious expression. “How is the relationship? You haven’t been very juicy with the details.”

Jonghyun’s cheeks were red as he moved to clean up more, “It’s great. I mean the difference in age has shown a wide range of hiccups but-”

“Wait, how much older is he?”

“20 years or so,” Jonghyun said off-handedly as cleaned out his jar of water.

Kibum whistled softly, “No wonder you never have time for me. You got yourself a sugar daddy.”

With a face Jonghyun put the cup back on his work table upside down, “He’s much more than that Kibum. He’s my boyfriend.”

It took a moment, but when Kibum spoke again his voice was warm and soft, “You sound like you really love him.”

“I do.” Jonghyun sighed happily, “He’s so much different than my last relationships. He cares about my work, he’s supportive and soft, and while he still hasn’t figured out what emoji to use in a certain situation, I love him. He makes me feel important and wanted, listens to me like my words matter.”

“When you told me you were seeing someone I was expecting some tall guy with a whole bunch of tattoos and a horrible personality to match.” Kibum squinted over at him. “He’s not like an older version of that is he?”

“Definitely not.” Jonghyun snorted. He grabbed his phone from the table and put in his lock code. His background was a picture of them at the zoo some time ago. He held it out to Kibum who took it softly. “His hair is a bit different right now, but that’s him. He’s a divorce lawyer at the big law firm downtown… or well partner... I’m not exactly sure how that all works but he’s in law,” He finished with a little laugh.  

Jonghyun was starting to get a little worried he didn’t get the Kibum stamp of approval like the other boyfriend’s he’s had over the years of their friendship, but then the slightly younger man smiled and handed the phone back. “I still need to meet him, but he seems great Jongie.”

He beamed happily and proud before asking, “So where was lunch at again?”

Kibum shook his head, “Come on Smalls.”

-----

A few nights later Jonghyun opened his door to a very startled Jinki. In his hands were a bouquet of soft pink roses. His eyes were wide, lips slightly parted and his other hand slowly falling from where it was lifted to knock against the door. “I’m not late am I?”

Jonghyun pushed up to kiss the corner of his mouth, “You’re right on time. I saw your headlights outside, thought you might be on your way up.” He wrapped his fingers around Jinki’s and softly pulled him into the apartment. “You sure look dashing.”

“To be honest I’ve never been to an art show,” Jinki looked down at himself, “This is okay, right?”

“It’s perfect.” Jonghyun’s eyes shifted to the flowers, “Are those for me?”

“Ah, yes!” Jinki pushed them towards him with an embarrassed smile. “The pink made me think of you even if your hair is lime green.”

Jonghyun let go of the older man’s hand to take the roses into both of his, lifting them to his nose as his eyes fluttered close. “They’re beautiful, thank you. Lemme go get them water and we can head to the gallery okay?”

“Sounds great Baby.” Jinki gave a fond little smile as Jonghyun walked toward the kitchen.

“Oh, Kibum’s coming tonight.”

“Like your best friend Kibum?” Jinki nervously asked, “The one who literally hated every single one of your past boyfriends Kibum?”

Jonghyun was softly chuckling when he returned with the vase full of roses. He placed them on the coffee table, adjusted them a little, before walking over to Jinki once he was pleased with the placement. He gave Jinki’s hands a small squeeze as he looked up at him, “Earlier this week I had lunch with him. He likes you.”

“That doesn’t appease my nerves- Wait,” Jinki squinted, “What did you say about me?”

With soft pink cheeks, Jonghyun reverted his gaze, “Just that I love you.”

“He knows I’m older right?” Jinki gently asked, “I don’t want to meet him for the first time and he judge me for my age.”

Jonghyun’s hands were a little rough from working with clay all day, but they were also warm as they cupped Jinki’s face. He smiled up at his boyfriend before kissing him softly. “He knows and he’s supportive. He may be brash and loud, but he’s been my support system for as long as I can remember when it comes to my artwork. You’ll like him too.”

“I hope so,” Jinki mumbled, “I want to be liked.”

“You will,” Jonghyun kissed him once more before reaching to grab his suit jacket from the chair while slipping their fingers together to hold hands, “Lead the way handsome.”

------

As Jinki opened the passenger side door for Jonghyun he heard the sharp whistle. When he looked up there stood a man with dark blue hair and a tattoo swirling up his neck. Jinki was confused and slightly terrified before a smile bloomed on Jonghyun’s face as he rushed towards the man. “You never told me he drove a Lamborghini.”

“It never came up.” Jonghyun turned toward Jinki who was waiting by the car fidgeting with his clothes. At his name Jinki looked up, “Kibum this is Jinki. Jinki, Kibum.”

Jinki held his hand out with a big smile, “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Same,” Kibum’s hand surrounded Jinki’s as he shook it. “Jonghyun seems very happy with you.”

“I’m very glad to hear that, son.” Jonghyun slipped from Kibum’s side to curl into Jinki, fingers tapping against the curve of his waist. Jinki chuckled, “I’m guessing that’s your way of telling us to go in?”

“Mhm,”

“Lead the way baby,” Jinki quietly said, clicking the lock on the car as the smaller man walked toward the gallery. Jonghyun uncurled himself but hooked their hands together between them as they walked around the place starting with the first piece to the right of the door. Jinki cocked his head to the side as he quietly asked, “It may be my old eyes, but is that supposed to look like a, ” Jinki’s voice lowered as he whispered, “?”

Kibum burst out laughing and Jinki’s cheeks turned pink embarrassed as Jonghyun chuckled softly at him. “Yes, Babe. There are a lot of them in art.”

“I’m too old for this.” Jinki sighed, but he gave a proud little smile when Kibum laughed harder.

------

Jonghyun had a dainty champagne glass between his fingers as he leaned into Jinki once they were stopped in front of his piece. He looked up at him hesitantly, “Do you like it?”

Jinki was silent for some time, just softly gazing up at the painting. It was done with watercolors and black ink, and he wasn’t quite sure what to say. “Is that… me?”

“Yes,” Jonghyun ran his tongue over his lips quickly before he continued. “I started it when I met you, so gray and soft around the edges, but then you opened your heart to me and the color started to pour out, flourishing like it’s been waiting to do so for so long but without the ability to. I had hit an art block shortly before I saw you that night in the diner. For weeks I couldn’t make myself paint anything, but then I saw you and after our first date with the lights of the skating rink around us I got inspired by the colors swirling inside you.”

“Oh Jonghyun, I-” He could tell Jinki was lost for words just by how frantically he was searching the painting for something to say. He looked back down at Jonghyun and his eyes were glossy as he let out a little laugh. “Nothing I could say would be enough. You’ve captured me in such a beautiful way Baby. I never thought I’d think I was this beautiful.”

“You are a-”

“Alright, either kiss like you want to or stop I’m gonna gag.” Kibum’s distinct voice cut Jonghyun off from behind them. Both of them stared at him for a moment before he waved his hands, “Go on.”

They had matching pink cheeks as Jinki leaned down to kiss him. It took Kibum coughing for them to pull away from each other. Their blush only deepened.

----

Are you still in the ceramics studio? Jonghyun quickly glanced at his phone when it vibrated and smiled when Handsome was blinking across it.

Sitting in the lounge in the front of the building, why? He quickly replied, his foot shaking from where it was placed on his right knee.

It was a moment before there was a response, You should see me here shortly

What??? Jonghyun looked up and scanned the large windows for the sight of the man and frowned when he didn’t spot him. I don’t see you :C

“Are you sure Baby?” Jonghyun twisted so quickly at his voice he lost his balance and tumbled onto the run on the floor. Jinki’s eyes widened as he placed the brown paper bag on the couch and rushed around it to offer his hand, “I didn’t mean to startle you I’m sorry.”

“I was excited,” Jonghyun eyed the bag after he was safe back on the cushion, “What’s that?”

“I hope you’re hungry.” Jinki beamed, “The court case I was overseeing for one of the new hires was adjourned early and I thought you could use a break. Should I have called first?”

Jonghyun leaned over the bag to kiss him softly,  “I missed you the last couple nights. This is a pleasant surprise.”

“I’m sorry about that Baby,” Jinki sighed, pushing his fingers through his hair as he gazed over at him. “Taemin’s neighbors are very loud and he needed somewhere quiet to sleep and prepare for his big interview this morning.”

“But I have you tonight right?”

“I have a conference call with one of my overseas clients tomorrow afternoon, but other than that I’m yours for the next three days.”

Jonghyun moved the bag onto the floor and scooted closer so their shoulders were touching. He leaned his head on Jinki’s as he twirled his chopsticks in his noodles. “Your place or mine?”

“Yours. Just in case Taemin forgot something,” Jinki kissed Jonghyun’s hair gently. “I don’t want our time together interrupted. I want 70 hours of just you.”

“We’ll have to stop for groceries. All I have is like 2 eggs and cinnamon butter from dinner last week.”

Jinki snorted, “We’ll go tonight.”

-------