Baby

Colors

 

Jinki scrunched his nose up at the stack of manila folders sitting on the middle of his desk when he stepped into his office. Minho wasn’t at his own desk just outside of the glass thick wooden and glass doors. He wondered where his assistant was for a moment before the urge to make another cup of coffee pushed to the forefront of his mind. He placed his briefcase and coat on his chair and walked over to the table along the long wall of big windows. The blinds were still down beside the one on the far left he kept open last night before he left. He grabbed a white coffee cup and flipped it right side up as he snapped the Keurig cup into the coffee machine. He pushed brew as he slipped the cup into the slot underneath and moved to put his things in order so he could begin working sometime soon.

 

As he returned to his desk after hanging his jacket on the hook behind the desk there was a knock at the door. A moment later Minho popped his head into the small opening. “Sorry for not being at my desk when you came in Sir.”

 

“That’s perfectly okay Minho,” He gave a little smile, “Did Ms. Halifax call about her appointment today?”  

 

“No, Sir.” Minho came into the office the rest of the way and closed the door behind him. “I have the files for your trial today prepared like you asked.”

 

“Ah! Thank you,” Jinki walked back over to his coffee with a wave of his hand, “Just sit them on the desk somewhere. I’m still organizing.”

 

“Do you need help with that?” Minho was hesitant to ask as he looked over at his boss stirring the cup of coffee across the room. “Two heads are better than one.”
 

Jinki chuckled softly. “Son, I have a question for you.”

 

“Yes, sir?”

 

“Are you scared of me Minho?” Jinki could see the young man’s adam's apple bob as he swallowed. “I may be your boss, but I’m not a tyrannical dictator.”

 

“Working for you is an incredible opportunity for me and I have the tendency to ramble when I’m nervous and I don’t want to say something wrong and make you fire me because I really need this job and I-”

 

“Hey, Minho?” Jinki softly asked after he sipped at his coffee.

 

The boy froze for a moment before asking with wide eyes, “Yes sir?”

 

“You’re doing that rambling thing I believe.” Jinki gave a comforting smile over at him. “Just breathe. Call Ms. Halifax for me about changing her appointment to Wednesday. Once that’s done return to me and we can work on my bomb aftermath of a desk. Sound good?”

 

“Sounds great Sir, thank you.”

 

As Minho reached the door Jinki called out, “And Minho?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“If my ex-wife calls, ignore it.”

 

“Got it, Sir.”

 

Jinki sighed as the door closed behind his secretary and he looked at his desk. He wasn’t even sure where he should start.

 

------

 

During the fifteen minute break between final arguments and the judge’s ruling Jinki checked his phone. His client was in the bathroom across the way reapplying her mascara that had ran a little during the trial. Jinki wasn’t sure it was genuine or not, but it got the point across. A slow smile pulled at his lips when he saw Jonghyun’s name on his screen.

 

I know you’re probably working, but I just wanted to say good morning Handsome, A second later another message appeared, At 2:30 in the afternoon but you know.

 

It’s the thought that counts. Good Morning Jonghyun, After deciding if it was okay to double text and going with it because the man had just done the same thing he typed out, Do you have classes today?

 

Ah no, just on Tuesdays and Thursdays! Today is one of my sleep in days

 

Are you still in bed?

 

…. Possibly.

 

Jinki snorted and glanced around him to see if his client had emerged from the bathroom since he looked away. When it was deemed it wasn’t he replied, I got up at 5 in the morning today.

 

Eww. That’s gross.

 

I had last minute trial prep to do, He heard heels hitting the marble floors of the courthouse and sighed when he saw his client coming from the bathroom. I have to go, the verdict is about to happen. Text you after

 

Okay, good luck Handsome

 

-------

 

A deep sigh left Jinki’s lips as he sagged against the recliner in his apartment. His suit jacket and briefcase was thrown haphazardly on the couch on his way over here, and his eyes fluttered shut as he let the stress of the day melt off of him for a moment. After the trial ended he texted Minho to take the rest of the day off and informed him he wouldn’t be in until the next morning. It was on a rare occasion that Jinki was home before rush hour began, but he wasn’t about to complain. He took a deep breath and heaved himself out of the comfort that was his chair to change into something more comfortable.

 

Pancake was curled up against the pillows on the bed and Jinki ran a hand over his ears on his way to the bathroom. After splashing cool water on his face and drying his skin, he moved back into the bedroom while ing his dress shirt. He pulled it back over his shoulders and was slipping his arms from the garment when his phone dinged from his back pocket. Curious, he pulled it out and a soft smile curved on his face seeing Jonghyun bright on his lock screen.

 

I was in the shower my bad

 

 

Ah, you finally got out of bed huh?

 

-_- I was comfy okay, besides I got work in like an hour.

 

 

Jinki softly took a seat on the bed up against the pillow Pancake wasn’t, and crossed his legs at the ankles as he relaxed. I just got home, first time before 5 in a very long time.

 

What does one Divorce lawyer do when he has the night off?

 

He hummed softly to himself as he tapped his fingers on the back of his phone, thinking. I don’t know. What do normal people do on nights off?

 

Sleep. Eat food that’s bad for you. A moment later another text dinged as it appeared, Come see his lonely boyfriend at work.

 

It hadn’t dawned on Jinki that that’s what they were, boyfriends. They were dating, in the beginning of a relationship, but it had never clicked into place until then of what they were working towards. Jonghyun must have taken the longer reply time as something was wrong because soon he was texting back multiple messages. Hey, I’m sorry. I just assumed that we were boyfriends and never really asked you and I’m sorry. Wait I said that already.

 

Jonghyun, Jinki sent slowly in between the array of messages from the younger man.

 

Jonghyun stopped rambling when he finally noticed the message, Yes?

 

Boyfriend is just a new title for me. The silence wasn’t because I didn’t like it, I just hadn’t made that connection.

 

...So I can call you my boyfriend?

 

We’re dating, aren’t we? Jinki laid his head back against the headboard, eyes softly closed as he smiled with the phone flat on his chest.

 

So about that break date tonight then boyfriend? ;)

 

Sounds like a plan Boyfriend

 

-------

 

Jonghyun was picking his tip up from his last table when he heard the little bell on the door ding signaling someone was coming into the diner. When he looked up, a smile spreading on his face out of habit, it took him a moment to fully recognize who it was. At first glance, he didn’t take note that it was Jinki, for the older man didn’t have his usual suit on his frame. Jonghyun pushed off the floor to roll over to him and slid to a stop just in time to not collide with him, but just barely. He looked up with a soft giggle as Jinki’s hands rested against his hips to stop him, “Hi.”

 

Jinki smile was warm and gentle. “Hey.”

 

“You look different,” Jonghyun hummed, cheeks a little pink from how Jinki hadn’t moved his hands from his hips just yet. “A good different, but different.”

 

“Ah, I took a shower and got comfy.” Jinki explained as he finally let his hands fall from Jonghyun’s hips. “I forgot sweats were this comfortable.”

 

“You look very good in them Handsome.” Jonghyun gave an easy smile before twisting around. “Lemme go tell my boss I’m going to take my break and I’ll meet you back at the table.”

 

“Sounds like a plan.”

 

When Jonghyun returned to the table his apron was gone from his waist, and he was carrying two glasses of pop. “So I wasn’t sure if you wanted cherry coke again so I got root beer as a backup.”

 

“Either is fine, thank you.”

 

Jonghyun tossed a curly straw in each of the cups with a big smile. “So, how was the case?”

 

“Oh, mm.” Jinki laughed a little as he tried to quickly swallow his drink. “We got most of what my client wanted. I deem it as a win. She was a little unhappy over how she got the wrong car but…”

 

“But?”

 

“I didn’t choose her as a client, I was given her by my colleague.” Jinki made a face, “While I technically outrank him in the firm his father is the founder so I really am not.”

 

“Is there a specific area of a divorce that you’re most interested in?”

 

“I used to really like custody cases in the fact that I was lucky enough that through my divorce Taemin was over 18 and we didn’t have to fight over him legally, but I knew if we did that I would have wanted to have a lawyer that had his best interests in mind over how much money their client was paying them to represent them. Growing up I lived with my mother and it wasn’t in my best interest to have lived with her. My father was a far better parent. I guess..” After a short laugh Jinki continued, eyes lowered at the table in embarrassment. “I wanted to be that lawyer for someone. Turns out what I’m really good at is fighting for one Mercedes Benz over another and being used by a lot of my female clientele to make their soon to be ex-husbands jealous.”

 

“It’s never too late to change what you want to do for a living.”

 

“That’s a little easier for you to say Jonghyun.”

 

Jonghyun pouted slightly, “All I meant was that if you wanted to try to be something different, it’s never too late. No matter your age.”

 

“Hey, I’m sorry I didn’t-”

 

“I may be a lot younger than you Jinki, but that doesn’t automatically make me less wise about life.”

 

Jinki sighed for a moment before reaching over to grab Jonghyun’s hand. Following his gut feeling, he lifted the man’s hand up to his lips to press them against his fingers. Jonghyun’s eyes went wide for a second before they fluttered almost closed, pink coloring his cheeks. “I have a lot to learn Jonghyun. About dating and life. I know that my age doesn’t make me know more about life than you, and I’m sorry it came across like that.”

 

“Don’t look at me like that, I’ll never be able to stay upset at you and it’s only our second date oh my god.” Jinki gave him a big, charming smile, and Jonghyun groaned. “You’re insufferable.”

 

The bell in the little window opening connecting the kitchen and the front counter sounded and Jinki glanced over, “Is that our food?”

 

“Ah yeah um,” Jonghyun fumbled to get out from the booth, “I ordered for you I hope that’s okay.”

 

“You chose for me the last couple times. I trust your taste.”

 

Jonghyun grumbled as he rolled off and Jinki laughed softly to himself highly amused. When he returned Jinki was presented with the macaroni and cheese burger but didn’t say anything as he lifted the sandwich and took a bite out of it. Jonghyun laughed at him when his eyes fluttered close and a satisfied groan left his lips. “Good huh?”

 

“This is the best goddamn burger I’ve had in the last twenty years.” Jinki laughed behind his napkin as he tried to chew and wipe the crumbs from his lips at the same time. “I’m a mess, I’m sorry.”

 

“Enjoy it,” Jonghyun slowly dipped his fry in the little cup of ketchup off to the side of his food basket. “It’s my favorite thing on the menu.”

 

“Very good choice.” After a moment Jinki softly said, “I’d like to see you paint one day.”

 

Caught off guard Jonghyun almost choked on his grilled cheese. “So off topic, but I’d love to show you some of my work sometime.”

 

“We were talking about what I liked about my job field and I was thinking about what you enjoyed in yours.” He wet his throat with a couple gulps of his drink before continuing, “So, is there something you’ve been working on recently?”

 

“Actually I just started this huge rainforest watercolor painting this morning before my insomnia finally let me go to bed. I really like painting nature, the flow of things captured in the beauty of the world around us. I only drew the outline, though, no paint touched the canvas just yet.”

 

“You have insomnia?”

 

With a little laugh, Jonghyun pushed around his fries for a moment, “That’s not what I expected you to catch, but yes. I’ve fought with it since my first time around in college. It gets worse with stress. It’s why I sleep until mid-afternoon most days of the week.”

 

“Ah,” Jinki leaned his head on his palm after placing his elbow on the table, “What is making it worse now?”

 

“I think it’s my big cumulative showcase that I have at the end of next semester. I get a 2-week long art show in the art gallery at the school because of this contest I entered into, but I have to have 18 pieces for it and I only have 3 finished.”

 

“Well,” Jinki gave him a warm smile, “I’m not much of an artist, but I’m here for anything else you may need.”

 

“Thank you.” Jonghyun slowly looked over at him through his eyelashes. “If you ever feel like keeping me company, I’d love it.”

 

“As long as I’m not too distracting.”

 

“You won’t be I promise.”

 

------

 

Jinki ended up staying there until Jonghyun shift ended at almost 2 in the morning. He offered to drive him home because waiting at the bus stop at 2 in the morning in the middle of winter did not sit well with Jinki at all. Jonghyun could tell the man was tired, just by his slow speech and the gentle slide of his blinking. “Hey, Jinki?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I’m worried about you driving home after dropping me off.”

 

“I’m fine Jonghyun,” He gave him a sleepy smile, “It’s just a little past my bedtime.”

 

“I’d feel a lot better if you just drive home and I’ll call a cab or something.” Jonghyun reached over to stop Jinki from pulling the gear into reverse. “I’m serious Jinki. You’re way too tired to drive more than it takes to get home.”

 

“I’m not letting you wait for the bus.” Jinki sighed and rubbed his hand over his face. A moment later he looked over at Jonghyun again, eyes nervous as he begun to speak again, “Do you want to stay over at my place?”

 

“What?!”

 

“Not like that!” Jinki coughed, “I mean not like that yet. I can take the couch.”

 

“Oh I couldn’t impose-”

 

“You wouldn’t be,” Jinki was so warm and comforting looking, and Jonghyun felt himself being tugged into. “I know it’s unorthodox, but our relationship kind of already is. So what do you say? I make a mean spinach omelet in the morning.”

 

After a moment Jonghyun smiled over at him, “Okay, thank you. That would be lovely.”

 

------

 

Jinki laid out a large shirt and a pair of sweats on his bed, along with a towel as Jonghyun stepped in from the hallway. “The bathroom is right in there, feel free to use whatever I have in there. I’ll just be right out in the living room if you need me.” As he slipped by him Jonghyun gently grabbed his wrist. Jinki stopped and looked back with a soft gaze and smile, “Yes, Jonghyun?”

 

“Thank you,” He pushed up onto his tippy toes to press a kiss to Jinki’s cheek. “Goodnight Handsome.”

 

“Goodnight…” Jinki’s cheeks were a little pink even in the dim light of the room as he asked, “Do you like pet names?”

 

“I love pet names.”

 

"How about Baby?"

 

Jonghyun, flustered, took a minute to find an answer, "I'd love to be your Baby Jinki."

 

"Okay then," With a squeeze of his hand on Jonghyun’s hip Jinki said, “Goodnight Baby.”

 

At the sound of Baby Jonghyun completely melted. He stood there in the doorway watching Jinki walk down the hall until he disappeared around the corner. His heart didn’t stop beating as quickly as it was until he laid down for bed after his quick shower.


------