Coming Out

Colors

The worker slid the card through the register, touched a few buttons and smiled as the total came up on the top. Jinki handed him a hundred dollar bill, “Keep the change, Son.”

He took the game cards with a wide smile and turned, squinting a little to find his boyfriend. Jonghyun was leaning against the wall separating the food area and the rest of the arcade, and he smiled so softly when he noticed Jinki returning. As their fingers curled together Jinki quietly asked, “Where to first, Baby?”

“Ski ball~” Jonghyun happily replied. “I’m so excited.”

With a soft chuckle Jinki allowed him to lead him to the ski ball games along the back wall. Each picked a machine and slid their cards into the slot, and Jonghyun was almost vibrating as the balls began to roll down for them to grab. “I need my hand baby.”

“But.. fine.” Jonghyun pouted for a moment as he let Jinki’s right hand go, but his cheeks were a soft pink with a smile on his face as a warm kiss was pressed against his temple.

“You really want that stuffed animal from the prizes Baby,” Jinki calmly says, amused, “I can’t get enough points with my non dominant hand.”

Jonghyun held the ball between both hands as he watched Jinki roll his first. With a little bumping around it landed in the 40. One by one they threw their balls until their points printed out a piece of paper with their points. After a few more games they decided to go and play something else.  Jonghyun quickly wrapped his arm around Jinki’s waist, curling in close as he looked up at him. “Is there a game you wanted to play?”

“Racing.” Jinki grinned.

“Mmmmm, Yeah, I’m no good at racing so I’ll just watch.” Once they found a two that were pressed together and empty, Jinki got comfy and slid in his card to begin playing. Jonghyun leaned over, lips against his ear as he whispered, “You’re really hot when you’re driving.”

“Oh yeah?” Jinki mumbles, gazing at him slightly from the corner of his eye and selecting his car on the game.

“Mhmm,” Jonghyun pressed a soft kiss to his jaw. “You focus so much, you’re so confident and sure in your movements, a little cocky. You know you’re a good driver, and it’s y.”

“Then you’ll love this Baby.” Jinki grinned, a little smug, as the countdown began on the screen. The engine roared as he stepped on the gas pedal, moving the gear shift to the right gear, and drifting around the cpu cars. Jonghyun’s hand was warm on Jinki’s thigh, index finger softly caressing him against his jeans. It was obvious Jinki was feeling good about himself and playing off of Jonghyun’s comments, and it made him so attractive.

They played for about an hour until when they were leaving the huge stuffed Koala was under Jonghyun’s arm. It stayed in his lap the entire way to his apartment.

—-

After leaving Jonghyun’s place in the morning to go to work Jinki managed to get home at a decent time. He was taking off his tie when his phone vibrated higher up on the mattress. He finished ing his dress shirt before sitting on the edge of the bed and grabbing the phone. Taemin’s name was on the screen as he pushed the side button.

Can I come over Dad?

The time on the phone told him he had about 3 hours before he was supposed to meet Jonghyun at the diner for a late dinner. Quickly, he unlocked the phone and tapped out a message. Sure, I have a few hours to blow.

Good because I’m outside. Very quickly there was another message. I’ll be up in a few.

Jinki changed into some sweats and a simple cotton tee quickly. The doorbell rang just as he was stepping into the hallway.  When he opened the door Taemin was rocking on the balls of his feet, eyes toward the ground and his hands in his pockets. His head whipped up when he noticed the door open and he smile, but something was off. “Come on in.”

“Thanks.” Taemin walked into the living room and hummed, still rocking nervously. “I hope I didn’t intrude or interrupt.”

“I just got home a bit ago.” Jinki carefully sat down at one end of the couch, leaning back against the cushions as he gazed at his son, reading him like an open book. “What has you so riled up, Son?”

“Am I that obvious?”

“A flashing sign.” Jinki flashed a smile and patted the couch next to him. “Sit.”

He flopped back against the couch with a big sigh. His palms were being rubbed against his thighs over and over again, as if wiping sweat on the skin that was no longer there. “You know the dinner that is next week?”

“Yeah, is it still happening?”

Taemin nodded his head rapidly. “Yes, of course I just-”

His breathing shuddered as his voice drifted off. Jinki leaned forward concerned, hand moving to squeeze Taemin’s knee. “Hey, whatever’s wrong you know I’ll always be here for you.”

He let out a rushed, light laugh before hanging his head in his hands with a little huff. “ I know that. That’s why I don’t understand why this is so hard. You’re the easy parent.”

With a short laugh Jinki patted his knee. “I don’t know how to take being called the easy parent.”

Taemin’s head snapped up as he blurted. “I’m Bi.”

Jinki quickly blinked at him, trying to process the outburst. “Wait, what?”

After a deep breath, Taemin calmed down enough to quietly repeat himself. “I’m biual. You’ve already met who I’m dating.”

“I have?”

“Remember my childhood friend, Jongin?”

A slow, easy smile pulled at Jinki’s lips. “You’re dating Jongin?”

“Yeah,” Taemin breathed out roughly. His tongue ran over his lips nervously as he tried to read his dad. “Now do you get why you’re the easy parent?”

“I do.” Jinki opened his arms, “C’mere. I’m so proud you’ve found yourself.”

Taemin wiggled over into his arms, nuzzling his head under his dad’s chin. His breathing was a little rough and ragged as his emotions got the best of him. “I wanted an ally for the dinner. Mom’s not going to like it.”

Jinki kissed his hair and tightened his arms around him. “Even if you had told me at the dinner I’d have supported you just the same, Sweetie.”

—-

“Do you want me to leave?” Jonghyun’s voice was soft from his spot on the bed. Jinki glanced over for a moment, hands pausing in his attempt to tie his tie around his neck. He smiled softly over at his boyfriend, all soft and comfy in the simple white t shirt and socks he was wearing. His feet were gently swinging in the air, head on his arm, as he sprawled out on his stomach. His recently dyed black hair falling in waves. “Ya know, when you’re at dinner.”

“You can stay here as long as you like.” Jinki gave up on tying his tie for the moment and went over to lean and press a soft kiss to Jonghyun’s cheek. “It’d be nice to have you to come home too after the storm I’m heading into.”

After slowly lifting his head Jonghyun reached over to gently take Jinki’s hand into his, and lift it to his lips. “It can’t be that bad.”

“Yeah, but nothing ever goes well when she’s there. She’s still mad I didn’t pay for the floors.” Jinki gently played with his hair, the strands soft and falling just over his eyes normally. “She’s also not going to like Taemin being anything but straight.”

“Well her.” When Jinki’s eyes widened Jonghyun blushed a little, embarrassed. “What?”

“Who are you and where did my soft boyfriend go?” Jinki asked teasingly. “Just, make yourself at home. I don’t like the idea of you catching a bus in this weather and I don’t have time to drive you home before I have to be at the restaurant.”

“It’s just a little rain.” Just as the words left his mouth a loud crackle of lightning shot across the sky. He bit his lip for a moment before softly adding, “Okay maybe a little more than rain but I can manage if you want me out.”

Jinki shifted to kiss his lips deeply, “I don’t want you out. I want you here, warm and cozy in my place, safe. It’ll make me feel better knowing you’re okay. Understand, Baby?”

“Okies.” He his lips softly before returning his gaze up at Jinki, “Do you need help with your tie Babe?”

“Sure,” Jinki grins, slowly standing from the bed and turning as Jonghyun rises to his knees. His hands are slow and soft in their movements as he picks up the two pieces of fabric. “You’re so beautiful.”

“Jinki~” Came the soft, little whine. “What did I say about compliments when I’m trying to be productive?”

“I like making you smile.” The words were so softly said, if they weren’t a breath’s distance away he probably wouldn’t have heard it at all. “Your eyes crease so cutely when you smile.”

Jonghyun pouted, hitting Jinki in his chest. “Stop it.”

He dipped down to peck his lips, and the again, a bright smile forming on his lips between each. “I have to go now Baby. I’ll see you after dinner. I’ll bring you something.”

“Mm,” Jonghyun’s eyes flicked up from his lips, a little heated, “Just having you will be more than enough.”

Jinki beamed, cupping his cheek before reluctantly pulling away. He slipped on his dress shoes before peeking up at him, “Am I going to come home to you being in my bed?”

“Possibly.” Jonghyun gave a little smile, “I know you’ll need a little pick me up.”

“That’s a very big pick me up,” He chuckled lightly, before kissing Jonghyun once more with a firm reminder. “Make yourself at home, please Baby.”

“I will,” Jonghyun waved him away. “Go, the faster you go the faster you can come home!”

“Bye Baby.”

“Bye Bye.”

—–

As he stepped into the front door of the restaurant, Jinki was already looking around the space for his son, who should be there by now. His search was cut short by a light voice from his right. “May I help you Sir?”

“Ah, Yes, I’m looking for my Son.” He smiled sweetly. “There was a reservation for Lee Taemin, at 6.”

“Oh, Yes, He’s here.” The young woman smiled, stepping around the podium and toward the barrier that lead into the rest of the restaurant. “He’s right over there, the corner booth in the back.”

Sure enough, he recognized that shaggy mop of dark blonde hair. “Thank you Miss.”

He made his way over easily, smiling wide when Taemin’s eyes met his own. The young man slipped from the booth to wrap his arms around his Dad in a gentle hug. “I’m so happy you could make it.”

“I wouldn’t miss something you made so important to you, Son.” After slipping into the booth he smiled over at Jongin, reaching over to squeeze his hand. “It’s been a long time, Jongin. It’s really nice to see you.”

“Ah, you too, Mr. Lee,” Jongin gave a shy little smile. Taemin curled his hand around the other young man’s on the table. “Thank you for being so supportive of us. It means a lot to Taemin.”

“Of course,” He hummed then, “Have either of you ordered?”

“Ah, no.” Taemin laughed a little. “I was too nervous to.”

“Well order what you want. I got it.” Jinki flicked his eyes over at his son when the man began to protest. “I always get dinner. This isn’t any different.”

—–

There was an appetizer in the middle of the table, a drink of their choice in front of each, when Taemin’s mother finally arrived. Taemin rushed up to hug his Mom. As he pulled away, Jinki sipped his tea before gently nodding at his ex wife when she addressed him. “Jinki.”

“Yuna.”

She sat across from him next to Taemin as Jongin slid closer to Jinki. She smiled over at the other young man, before turning to her son. “Are we still waiting for the young woman? Is Jongin here to meet her too?”

Taemin stared at his glass of whiskey before downing it all in one go. Once the glass was on the table he mumbled, “Right out of the gate I see.”

“Hon?” His mom gently asked.

“Well, Mom, that’s the thing. Jongin is my date.” He finally looked up at her, lifting their intertwined hands. “I’m biual.”

Time seemed to freeze as she processed his confession. As soon as it seemed to click, her attention was turning toward Jinki across the way. She hissed. “You did this.”

He scuffed. “I did this?”

“You and your nasty lifestyle corrupted my baby boy. Now look at him. He’s ing a man.” Jinki blinks at her. And she continues. “You and your of a mate did this to my child. You made him a sinner, you disgusting man.”

She grabs the water next to Taemin and throws the liquid at Jinki’s face before storming out. Taemin and Jongin rush to grab something to give to him to dry himself off. He gently takes the cloth napkin from one of them and pats his face and neck. Taemin is frowning deeply. “Hey, please don’t listen to her.”

Jinki gives him a tight smile. “Don’t worry Taemin. That was nothing like what she told me the night I gave her the divorce papers.” He looks between them. “Do you still want to have dinner?”

Taemin still looked worried, but he gave a little smile, “Yeah, that’d be nice.”

—–

By the time he made it home he felt exhausted. All throughout dinner it was easy to forget what his ex wife had hissed at him, but without Taemin and Jongin to distract him on the way home, there was nothing to prevent his mind from overthinking it all. His keys were laid in the glass bowl near the door, the lock turned, and his shoes kicked off. He headed into the kitchen to put the takeout he had gotten Jonghyun on a plate. He was folding the paper bag it came in when he heard the soft footsteps of the man. Sure enough, a few moments later he felt Jonghyun’s arms wrapping around his middle and his cheek nuzzling into his back. “I’ve missed you, Babe.”

“Me too, Baby.” He felt Jonghyun shift against him, and he cursed the way his voice gave away his emotions.

“Babe?” Jonghyun’s fingers curled around his arm, pulling him around. His fingers were a little rough as they touched his cheek and jaw. “What happened?”

With a little smile Jinki softly replied. “She didn’t take it too well.”

“Jinki.”

“She blamed me.” He let out a shuddered breath. “Said I corrupted Taemin… called me nasty.”

“Oh, Babe,” Jonghyun whispered. He pushed up on his toes to wrap his arms around Jinki’s neck and keep his head close. “You aren’t nasty, love.”

“It shouldn’t hurt.. What she says shouldn’t matter.”

“Go get changed, Babe.” Jonghyun pulled away before giving him a sweet kiss. “I’m going to put this food away and I’ll be back.”

“Eat.” Jinki wiped his cheeks quickly and the smile on his face was genuine. “Just laying with you near will make me feel better.”

“Alright.” Jonghyun turned from the fridge to put the plate into the microwave for a few seconds. “Go on Silly.”

Jinki pressed a warm kiss to his cheek, fingers grazing his hip. “I love you, Baby.”

“I love you too.”