First Date

Colors

The rollerskating rink was full of people of all ages. Parents with their children, teenagers hanging out, and people on dates. Jinki was looking at the small arcade to the left of him when he heard his name come from behind him. When he turned there was Jonghyun. His lavender hair a fluffed mess on his head and around his cheek bones, probably from the wind outside. He had a leather jacket on, dark wash jeans and combat boots. There was a bright smile on his face as he recognized Jinki. “I’m so sorry I’m late. The bus was late.”

“I was just early,” Jinki smiled softly, “You’re right on time Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun flashed a smile before nervously asking, “Can I hold your hand?”

Jinki offered his hand with the palm up with a smile, “So where do we rent skates? I’ve never been here.”

“Over there,” Jonghyun’s fingers curled around the offered hand and nodded to the right of them. “You do know how to skate right?”

“It’s been awhile,” Jinki admitted nervously.

“Well, don’t worry.” Jonghyun laughed softly, “I’m pretty good on skates.”

Once their skates were paid for, Jinki adamant about paying for them both, the found a big plush seat to change their shoes. Jonghyun was quick in tying his on and he took their shoes over to their rented locker while Jinki finished tying his skates on. When he attempted to stand up he was a little unsteady, but Jonghyun’s hand were on his hips a moment later to steady him. Jinki looked over his shoulder with a bashful smile, “Thanks.”

“I got you.” Jonghyun threaded their fingers together and smiled warmly up at him. “Let’s get on the floor.”

Jinki was unsteady, to begin with, muscles needing time for the memory of how to skate to come back into his limbs, but soon enough he could confidently push off the wood floors. Jonghyun laughed a little as he sped up to catch him, hands tight and sure between them. The lights above them swirled and it was hard for either of them to look away from each other long enough to see where they were going. After almost running into a small child a couple songs later they decided it was a good time to go get something from the concession stand and take a break.

Jonghyun ordered first, but Jinki’s hand came up to gently push his hand down before he could pay. “I got it.”

“Jinki you don’t-”

“I’ll take the same, but a tea instead please.” As the cashier completed ringing up the order and took Jinki’s credit card the man turned toward Jonghyun. “I know I don’t have to, but my Ma would probably come rushing in here with her cane and kick my if I didn’t at least offer. She raised me better.”

“I asked you out, though,” Jonghyun was frowning as he looked up at Jinki. The cashier went to get their order after handing them their drinks. “I’m supposed to pay.”

Jinki softly chuckled as he sipped his tea. “I’m older. I win.”

Jonghyun grumbled, but he melted when Jinki lifted his hand up to kiss the back of it. When the tray was pushed toward them Jonghyun rushed to take it and stuck his tongue out up at Jinki. With a soft, fond shake of his head Jinki followed. They found a table along the opposite wall, away from the majority of the people sitting, and far enough from the rink that the music and other sounds coming from it weren’t too overwhelming. Jonghyun was chewing a bit of pretzel behind his hand when he asked, “So what’s your fat cat’s name?”

Jinki almost choked on his pizza at the question, but once recovered he replied, “Pancake. And hey don’t look at me like that he came named.”

“I’m sorry, but,” Jonghyun paused for a moment to laugh, “Pancake?”

“In his past owner’s defense,” Jinki hummed, “He does like to steal my pancakes in the morning.”

Jonghyun looked so confused he had to put his food down, “And what does he do with them? Eat em’?”

“No, he just takes it and lays on it.”

“So when I stay over in the future I’ll have to guard my pancakes,” Jonghyun happily sipped at his drink. When silence fell between them he realized what he had said, “Oh, I’m sorry I just assumed there would be another date and that I would- I’m sorry oh God.”

“Hey, Jonghyun relax,” Jinki reached over to squeeze the man’s hand with a smile, “I’m having a great time. I don’t mind the idea of you being in my future.”

“I apologize if I made you uncomfortable,” Jonghyun swallowed thickly before giving a little smile. “I’m having a great time too.”

After a moment Jinki asked, “So besides the diner, what do you do for a living?”

“I first went to college for journalism, and after I graduated I realized that working for a newspaper or a news outlet wasn’t the right place for me.” Jonghyun shrugged with a free smile on his face. “I felt caged in. I wasn’t free to write what I wanted to or how I wanted to and that bugged me, so I went back to school a year after a graduated. For art, double focusing on watercolors and ceramics.”

“Such a big contrast.”

“It’s messy but beautiful.” Jonghyun’s voice was so soft, full of his happiness as he leaned on his palm and gazed over at Jinki. “I come home covered in media all the time, but I’m a lot happier than I was at that desk job.”

“It takes a lot to restart.”

“But you should know all about it,” When Jinki looked at him confused Jonghyun continued with a little laugh, “I mean your divorce.”

“Oh,” Jinki shook his head, “I should have left a lot sooner, but I stayed for my son.”

Jonghyun swallowed slowly as he pushed around his slice of pizza, “You have a son?”

“Yeah, he’s around your age.” Jinki nervously asked, “Is that okay Jonghyun?”

“Yeah, of course, I just-” Jonghyun ran his fingers through his hair and gave an unsure smile, “For some reason the thought you had a kid in your marriage never cross my mind.”

“I’m new at this whole gay thing Jonghyun.” Jinki paused for a moment before continuing, “I spent twenty years in a relationship I felt broken in, malfunctioned. I’m unsure in a lot of things about who I am, what I want, what I deserve. It’s a new concept that there’s more to a relationship than being blamed and second-guessed all the time. This probably isn’t what you signed up for Jonghyun. I’m sorry to have wasted your time.”

Jonghyun softly grabbed his wrist as he moved to leave. “I wanted to get to know you and that’s what I’m getting. Please stay.”

“Jonghyun..”

“Tell me about your son,” The smile on Jonghyun’s face was soft and comforting, “You sound incredibly fond of him.”

After carefully taking his seat again Jinki quietly said, “He’s the only good thing I got from being married to his mother.” Jinki gazed down at his hand before looking up again with such a proud smile on his face. “He just graduated grad school for School psychology, living on his own. The divorce happened his freshman year in undergrad and I was afraid it would break him, but he fought through and I’m so proud of him.”

“Are you two close?”

“Incredibly.” Jinki pushed the tray to the right of them to open up the space between them. “He supported me when I was rethinking my uality. At the time it felt backward like it was supposed to happen the other way around.”

“I know that you’re going through so much exploring who you are, what you want,” Jonghyun reached over to squeeze his hand, “We’ll take this slow, and maybe I’ll help you find more about yourself along the way.”

“Thank you.” Jinki took a deep breath, “So on a lighter note, what’s your favorite color?”

“Black.”

“You’re a walking cotton candy treat and your favorite color is Black?”

“I’m a mystery I know.” Jonghyun finished his pretzel before asking, “And yours?”

“Blue,” A child zoomed past their table screaming scaring them both. “I do not miss that at all.”

Jonghyun snorted, “I’m kind of glad I was the youngest. I never had to experience that.”

“Do you want kids?” Jinki took the chance to ask. He was past the time he’d ever want to bring another child into the world, in any way. Better know if this wouldn’t work before they got too far into it.

With a shrug, Jonghyun replied, “Not really. My mother raised my sister and I alone, and while she loved us there was so much she wanted to do that she couldn’t do anymore. Maybe I’m selfish for thinking like this, but I love my life as it is too much to have this tiny human being that comes before everything about myself.”

“You aren’t selfish,” Jinki reassured, a warm smile on his face. “I had a child because my wife wanted one, and while I love Taemin to bits and wouldn’t change anything, there were times I caught myself wondering what would have happened if I had stayed true to what I wanted and refused.”

“Most people say I’ll change my mind when I meet the right person.” Jonghyun’s fingers gently tapped against the table as he gazed over at him.

“Changing what you want for someone else only ends in your unhappiness.” Jinki shrugged, “Besides if the person is right for you, they’ll share the same desires about children among other things and wouldn’t expect you to change.”

“Do you want more kids?”

Jinki shook his head, “It would be unfair to any child to bring them into my life at my age. I wouldn’t be able to give them the childhood I gave Taemin. Been there done that.”

“Good to know,” A slow smile was forming on Jonghyun’s face and Jinki’s tummy felt warm.

After the trash was thrown away Jonghyun smiled so big down at him, “Race me?”

“Sure,” as Jonghyun sped off Jinki snorted, “This seems a little UNFAIR!”

After stopping just before the carpet turned into wood Jonghyun beamed back at him. “Come get me, Handsome.” Jinki shook his head but pushed off the ground anyway.

He couldn’t catch him no matter how hard he tried, even when Jonghyun turned around and skated backward. After a while, he came over in front of him and smiled over his shoulder at Jinki, “Hold my waist, and hang on.”

Confused, Jinki did as he was told, and his fingers curled tighter in his shirt as Jonghyun took off dragging him along behind him. Later that night as they walked outside to leave Jonghyun was checking his phone for the bus route, but Jinki gently nudged him. “Let me take you home.”

“Oh no, I couldn’t ask that of you.”

“It’s cold out,” Jinki smiled, “Buses can be late, and I’ll get you home before it comes by this spot I guarantee you.”

After a moment Jonghyun caved, “Okay, Thanks.” Jinki offered his bent arm to Jonghyun and once the man threaded their arms together he led him over to his car parked to the left of them. Jonghyun’s eyes widened as he noticed how nice of a car it was. “This is yours?”

Jinki carefully opened the passenger door for him, a confused hurt expression on his face. “Yeah, is something wrong?”

“I’m just so used to my best friends beat up chevy is all.” As Jonghyun swooped into the leather seat he gasped quietly. Jinki laughed gently before closing the door and slipping into the driver’s side. “I feel like I should take my shoes off before stepping into this.”

Jinki snorted as he turned the key into the ignition, “So where am I taking you?”

“Oh!” Jonghyun snuggled back against the seat, “You know the apartments on Winden Street?”

“Blue roofs, the little pet store on the corner?”

“Precisely!”

“Feel free to mess with the music,” Jinki quietly stated as he pushed the button to turn it on, trot playing softly throughout the car.

“Do you like trot music?”

Jinki laughed as he turned to look behind him as he pulled out of the parking spot, “Safe to say I’m the stereotypical old person.”

“Do you sing along?”

“Oh God no.” Jinki flipped his turn signal on as he looked over at Jonghyun. “Singing is for my shower where the only audience is Pancake.”

“I’d like to hear it some day.”

Ten minutes later Jinki was pulling up to the front door of the apartments. He put the car in park and turned a little to Jonghyun. “I had more fun tonight than I have in a while. Thank you, Jonghyun.”

“So much fun that you’d want to go out again?” Jonghyun nervously asked, a little too afraid to look over at him.

“More than enough,” When Jonghyun looked at him Jinki was smiling softly at him. “What did you have in mind?”

“There’s the light show down at the zoo I was thinking about.”

“Sounds amazing.”

“Same time?” Jonghyun asked hopefully.

“I’ll pick you up. Six thirty on the dot.”

“It’s a date,” After a moment Jonghyun opened the door. One foot was out when he looked back at Jinki for a few seconds before he was leaning in to press a soft kiss against his cheek. “See you later, Handsome.”

Jinki waited until Jonghyun was inside the building, and it was only then his heart stopped feeling like it was going to beat out of his chest.