Chapter 17

Time will tell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The mansion was huge, like what Chanyeol had stated, and even though it looked a little decrepit in some areas, it for sure had an unique beauty. The latter had left Baekhyun alone in front of the portal, assuring he’d be back in five minutes. It had already been ten minutes, and Baekhyun wasn’t one to wait. He opened the forged wrought-iron gate, not quite expecting the sight that welcomed him.

« Killing the knight, feeling the vibe,
Give me the knife, cold on my mind
You know what I mean, I like being alo… »

A gardener, who had some earphones on, was furiously rapping in sync with the beat he was listening to, while slashing open bags of fertilizer. He looked up and stopped what he was doing when he saw Baekhyun standing in the alley, dumbfounded. A taller guy came from behind the strawberry sherbet-haired gardener, and pulled the other’s earphones. « Stop scaring our clients away, Yongie, will you ? » The Yongie guy snatched his earphones from the other guy and approached Baekhyun, his steps almost feline.

« Hello. I’m Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. Nice to meet you. » He really didn’t know why he suddenly felt compelled to introduce himself first. The intimidating guy looked him up from head to toe, dusty pink strands of hair falling over his long eyelashes. Eventually, he took off his gardening gloves and extended his right hand, which Baekhyun shook hesitantly.

« Byun Baekhyun… » he repeated. « Well, the pleasure is all mine. I’m Taeyong. » There was something dancing in the beautiful man’s eyes, something akin to… amusement ? Like he knew something that Baekhyun didn’t. « This is Johnny. »

Johnny smiled amicably. With his friendly features framed by golden brown hair styled in a shaggy cut, he was towering over them, but still didn’t look one bit as fearsome as his companion. « Nice to meet you. Baekhyun… You’re Chanyeol’s friend, right ? We received a call from him earlier. He told us he’d come accompanied today. »

« This place is amazing. »

« We don’t really get a lot of visitors, but for the few who know the existence of this spot, this is like a secret garden. » Taeyong’s smile became fond. « We also have a few greenhouses at the back of the house, if you’d like to take a look. »

« I also had a greenhouse, back in New York. » Baekhyun sighed. It was one of the only things he wished he could have actually taken away with him.

« Oh, did you ? » The gleam in Taeyong’s eyes was there again.

« New York ? Tae, do you remember when you made me personally deliver those stupid preserved roses on that Brooklyn rooftop ? You still owe me since that time ! »

« Brooklyn rooftop ? » Baekhyun repeated, astounded. But none of the men before him paid it any heed.

 « Well, I wanted to make sure they arrived safely to its recipient. That specie is particularly fragile. And you were going to Chicago, it was on your way. »

« That’s hardly a good reason. And they are two ing different states ! »

Taeyong dropped the bag of compost, which landed opportunately on Johnny’s right foot, making him wince. « Language, Seo Youngho. And now, you should probably go check on the children. »

« Ten is with them, and Chany… »

« Johnny, that’s exactly what I said. Go. Check. On. The. Children. » Johnny immediately did as he was asked. He sent a sorry smile in Baekhyun’s way, before walking away.

« So, what’s the reason of your visit here, Mr Byun Baekhyun ? Chanyeol never brings any friends with him, the rare times he deigns gracing us of his presence at least. »

« Never ? Not even once ? »

« Are you curious ? » At that, Baekhyun remained silent and Taeyong indulgently smiled. « I’m teasing. Never. Ever. It’s the first time actually. We were all surprised when we got his call. The kids didn’t even think he had friends to begin with. »

Baekhyun laughed, a hint of curiosity in his eyes. « The kids ? »

« Chanyeol didn’t tell you ? This is an orphanage. I’m also running a florist business on the lands here, and sometimes the orphans help me with it. It’s not grand, but enough to give us another source of income. Johnny that you saw back there actually works under me. Some of the others have completely different work occupations in the city though, and of course the younger ones go to school. »

« That’s… very impressive. You have more varieties of flowers than I expected a small producer to provide. Actually, I wanted to come talk about some business related matters. Chanyeol told me about this place, and as you may already know, he’s getting married. »

« Chanyeol is ? You two are getting married ? »

Baekhyun, taken aback, couldn’t help the flush that colored his cheeks bright red. « No ! What would make you think that ? »

« Well, for a moment, I thought he was here with his partner to pick flowers together. I’m sorry I misunderstoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter