Chapter 15 - Part 1

Time will tell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo didn’t really need much sleep. He was the kind of person who could run his day on 5 hours of rest, and not feel a single sign of fatigue because of the lack of sufficient restorative sleep. But once he was tucked under the blankets, he hated being disturbed in his slumber. Especially having to wake up at 3 a.m in the morning because of a drunk Luhan, who couldn’t even stand on his two feet by himself. It hadn’t been the first time the male stayed out so late, but usually, he was sober enough to find his keys and the way to his own room without external aid.

Kyungsoo held back a curse, and, with the help of a small teaspoon, stirred rashly the boiling coffee he had had to prepare for himself. The brusque gesture, in line with his growing irritation, threatened to break the fragile porcelain cup while he glared in the semi-darkness at the outline of Luhan’s body, laying on the couch of their shared living room. Now that he was awake, he couldn’t fall asleep anymore. Apparently, a certain someone didn’t seem to have this problem, knowing that Luhan was presently snoring mouth open, not giving a care in the world. « Such a turn off. » There was no way in hell that guy was the ‘incarnation’ of what’s considered attractive by their peers. If so, people had such bad taste nowadays. The deer-like male was on the verge of falling off the sofa, and Kyungsoo, exasperated, gave him a small kick in the shin for him to turn over. His friend groaned - probably due to the unexpected pain he was feeling in his lower leg - but still toppled on the other side of the couch. « Hmpf, you deserved that. You ruined my evening. »

Indeed, when Kyungsoo had eventually decided to go to bed, he thought that his day had gone pretty well. Maybe a little too well. That peaceful illusion had shattered the moment he realized the doorbell ring wasn’t a fragment of his imagination. Still a bit groggy, he had gone down the stairs, his pair of Moscot reading glasses precariously perched on the bridge of his nose, and had opened the door abruptly, only to come face to face with Luhan’s slump figure in the entrance. Then, for long, excruciating seconds, Kyungsoo had stared, bored out of his mind, at the poor guy supporting his friend. He might have contemplated the possibility that guy could be Baekhyun, but when he had seen how tall the stranger was, he had asked, with a voice that sleep turned hoarse « Who are you ? »

The stoic, mature face laced with tiredness had answered, almost shyly. « Oh Sehun, sir. » It had made him want to laugh, how the model’s personnality was so drastically different from his outward appearance. « Park Chanyeol’s protégé doesn’t seem as bad as his mentor. » A solid hour had now passed since the impromptu appearance of the model at their doorstep. Kyungsoo, still awfully awake, looked out of the window, just in time to see a silver berline stopping right in front of their building, and his eyes widened in realization. « Speaking of the devil. What kind of business does he have in this neighborhood at this hour of the day ? » What Kyungsoo certainly didn’t expect was Baekhyun coming out of the said car, clothes wrinkled and his hair a mess.

 

 

Less than 12 hours ago…

Chanyeol recoiled, clearly startled, as if Baekhyun had threatened to murder him. Which sounded absurd, by the way, and he was now certain that his brain had started to go haywire. Well, that wasn’t a good timing, because he was asked a question that needed to be handled properly, and above all, that needed him to focus. Well, ‘start over’. However, what were they, to begin with ? « Wouldn’t it be better for the both of us if we stayed the way we are presently ? Trapped in this uncomfortable, impersonal atmosphere, where I can just pretend I don’t care. » He clenched his jaw, imperceptibly turning away from Baekhyun. Hopefully, it was raining hard into the early evening. If not, perhaps the other would have seen the single tear of frustration rolling down his cheek. Park Chanyeol never cried. « I… » However, before he could make out in complete, full-formed sentences, what was on his mind, a muffled thud caught his attention. From the corner of his eye, he spotted the wedding planner’s bag, which had landed on the wet asphalt. Confused, he turned to see, two steps away from him, a staggering, breathless Baekhyun that seemed to have lost his balance, heavy limbs drawing dangerously near the hard concrete.

 

 

Baekhyun fidgeted before his ex-boyfriend’s hesitation. What got into the wedding planner that made him pursue Chanyeol like this ? But suddenly, his vision became blurry, and black and white patches started to invade his vision. He felt the leather strap of his backpack slipping from his shoulder as he lost his footing. He fell to the ground with a dull noise, like a rag doll. His whole being felt painfully numb, and the last thing he knew was the Chanyeol’s deep velvety voice calling out for him, followed by the warm feeling of a large palm placed against his right cheek. He couldn’t make out whatever the taller was saying, the words blending with the urban background noises, which made him chuckle deliriously. And then everything turned into darkness, eyes closing, his body surrendering to exhaustion.

 

 

« He is so hot. How come I didn’t notice it earlier ? »

« Baekhyun ? Baekhyun ?! Hey ! »

The latter didn’t show any sign that he was coming to his senses though, and it looked more like he wasn’t in a position to stand up by himself. Chanyeol bitterly let out a low laugh, in a weak attempt to settle his nerves. But this made him wonder. Wonder when had Baekhyun passed the point where he would neglect himself to the extent he could faint and let his unsconscious self laying on the freezing cold pavement. It aroused his anger, having to witness Baekhyun in his worst shape, and his hold tightened subconsciously on the frail unmoving figure.

« What do I do now ? I can’t possibly leave him alone. » As he was left facing his dilemma, Chanyeol heard thunder crashing in the distance. « It’s already raining so hard, and I don’t have any idea of where he lives now. » He lifted Baekhyun up, having no other choice but to carry him bridal style, since the other didn’t seem to regain consciousness anytime soon, and headed towards the nearest cab.

« Rough day, mister ? » the chauffeur said, as Chanyeol opened the car door. A mellow song was playing in the vehicle cabin, and the soft tune gave a sense of déjà-vu to the actor, though he couldn’t quite pinpoint where he had heard it.

‘When the rain falls and the music flows

I think of you

The night when you left

It was raining like this’

« You bet. » Chanyeol chuckled, but froze for an instant as his ears finally recognized the familiar melody. « Baekhyun’s favorite song. Pretty ironic as it is. »

‘When the rain falls and the music flows

I think of you

The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter