Stubborn

B.E.long drabbles

 

 

Request by akamurasaki

Can you please write a one shot where Jongdae hurts his back in school and has to go to the hospital because he can’t move. Also Baekhyun’s reaction when they call him and how he has to take of a stubborn Jogdae who doesn’t want to trouble Baekhyun with him. I read Paint and it’s really a master piece. I can’t stop reading it you’re really amazing.

 

Word count: 2839

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae was annoyed.

 

Nothing had been going his way all day. Firstly, his alarm had failed to go off. He would blame Baekhyun for not waking him up but his husband had already been long gone by the time his alarm would have gone off. Then the traffic to the school had been absolutely atrocious. There had been an accident, something he would usually be empathetic about if he wasn’t already late for work.

 

He only ended up being ten minutes late but that was okay. What wasn’t okay was his assistant not having all of the materials needed for his year eleven sculpture class. That was why he had an assistant in the first place, to save time for preparation so the students had more time to get on with their projects. It wasn’t turning out to be a very good day for him at all.

 

By the time it hit morning tea he was already drained, a hot cup of cheap staff room coffee to substitute his usual tea at this time of day. Ms Jung, the dance teacher looked at him in sympathy. They all had their bad days and to top that up with having to deal with children, most who were going through physical and emotional changes certainly didn’t help with that at all.

 

He turned his ring around on his finger, wishing Baekhyun was there to make it all better. But he was a big boy and could deal with his own problems.

 

The bell to signal the end of morning tea rung to soon. Jongdae sighed as he skulled the last of his coffee. It was going to be a long day.

 

His third period class was always a pleasure. Being year twelves they were pretty much self-sufficient and could look after themselves. Each student in that class were all serious about art and were pretty much always on task. All he really had to do was walk around and make himself available in any of them needed his help. He was proud of this class. He had been with them for some time now and had grown a soft spot for them all.

 

Fourth period rolled around and while he didn’t dread this class it was definitely one of the more difficult classes. He felt his eyebrow twitch when he caught a student trying to tip paint over another, the student having put the tin of paint down when he noticed the stern and completely unimpressed look Jongdae had given him.

 

Jongdae usually would love lunch time. It would give him an opportunity to relax before the last period of the day but he didn’t have the luxury of that today. His assistant had disappeared, something which put him in a sour mood so it was up to him to get everything sorted for his last class of the day and he knew it would take the entirety of lunch to get it set up.

 

Walking into the storeroom he looked around trying to locate the easels and frowned when they weren’t where he had left them. Come to think of it nothing was where he had left them. He cursed. Someone had gone and rearranged everything. He could feel his annoyance build. This was his domain and someone had dared to disturb that. He was not happy.

 

Looking around he spotted the easels, right on the top shelf and right out of his reach. Why on earth would someone put them up there? They were one of the most used pieces of equipment in his classes. It made no sense to put them somewhere that would take time and effort to get them when they needed to be used so frequently. They needed to be easily accessible and that was not easily accessible, especially for someone of his height.

 

“Stupid.” He muttered under his breath.

 

He turned around to the door of the storeroom and grabbed the ladder that was leaned up against it. Unfolding it he stepped onto it, thanking the heavens that it was just tall enough for him to reach the easels. He had just managed to grab a hold of the leg of one of the easels when he felt the ladder shake and he knew what was happening before it happened.

 

The next thing he knew he was falling, his whole body in the air. His back connected with the ladder and he yelled out, his body rolling onto the floor afterwards. He lied on the ground stunned and in pain. There were tears in his eyes. He knew he was crying but the only thing he paid attention to was how much his back hurt.

 

“Jongdae!” he heard a woman shout, the voice sound familiar enough that he knew it was Ms Jung. “Oh my god are you okay!” she rushed over to him and kneeled. “What happened?”

 

Jongdae hissed, his eyes clenched shut. “I fell off the ladder.” He grunted out, voice full of pain. He tried to push himself up but Ms Jung put her hands on his shoulders to keep him down.

 

“No stay there and don’t move. We don’t know if something serious is wrong. It’s better safe than sorry.” She told him and Jongdae knew she was right. “I’ll call an ambulance and the principle as well.”

 

All Jongdae could do was lie there and listen as she called. He closed his eyes and breathed though the throbbing pain in his lower back. He knew he was going to have a killer bruise there and he hoped that’s all that would be wrong. He felt worry build in the pit of his gut as his eyes started to burn. A hand suddenly found itself in his hair.

 

“Shh it’s alright honey. I’m sure everything is going to be fine.” She comforted him. Jongdae couldn’t help but relax. Ms Jung had always reminded him of his mother and he’s sure to two would get along if they ever met. She had welcomed him from the moment he had first started teaching at the school. She was older and took him under her wing. The Arts department was like a little family and they had all welcomed him warmly. They knew he was nervous, being fresh out of University and beginning his first year of teaching. It had been a few years since then but he was still thankful.

 

She stayed with him until the ambulance came, as they put the neck brace on and rolled him into the board. She held his hand as he scrunched his face in pain.

 

“They’ve got a relief teacher ready to take your last class and one for the rest of the week so you don’t have to worry about that.” She told him. “Do you needed me to do anything else?”

 

“Can you call my husband? Let him know what happened?”

 

“Sure thing.” She smiled. He gave his own little smile in return. He just hoped Baekhyun wouldn’t over react. He tended to do that when he was the one in question.

 

The ride was a short one and soon he was being rushed into the hospital for an examination. All he could do now was wait.

 

 

~X~

 

 

When Baekhyun had gotten the call from one of his husbands colleagues that Jongdae had fell and was currently on his way to the hospital Baekhyun did the only thing that crossed his mind. He ran to his police cruiser and sped off with the sirens on, prompting everyone on the road to move out of his way. He was definitely abusing his power but he could find himself caring. Jongdae was hurt and he needed to get to him as soon as possible. He would deal with the repercussions later. He knew his boss would give him a stern talking to.

 

He makes a mental note to give him a ring later to explain the situation to him. He’ll understand… he hopes.

 

When he parks the car in the hospital car park he runs – sprints – into the hospital. He hears the calls of people telling him to stop but he doesn’t listen, heading straight for the front desk.

 

When he gets to the front desk he slams his hands on the counter giving the poor lady behind it a fright. “I need to know where Byun Jongdae is.” He says in a hurry. The lady who in that brief moment had managed to gain her composure taps away at the key board.

 

“What is your relationship with Byun Jongdae?” she asks him.

 

“He’s my husband. I’m Byun Baekhyun.” He tells her. It’s protocol to determine ones relationship to a patient and cross check it with the names on their contact list before releasing any information.

 

“Well, Byun Jongdae was brought in roughly thirty minutes ago. The records say that he’s currently being prepared for x-rays. I can have someone take you to his designated room to wait if you like.” She told him and Baekhyun didn’t hesitate to agree. “Okay then, wait one moment please.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t have to wait to long for someone to him to Jongdae’s room. The room was familiar even if he had never been in this particular one before. They were all the same. White and devoid of life. He had always hated hospitals. He sat down and waited, looking out the window and watching as cars passed by.

 

His head turned to the side when he heard the door open, two nurses wheeling in a bed with his husband on it. He stood up and anxiously waited for them to put the bed in place before going over to Jongdae and holding his hand making sure to be careful not to wake the sleeping man. He looked so peaceful.

 

Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder. “You’re Byun Baekhyun I’m assuming?” the man asked him and Baekhyun nodded. “I’m doctor Song.” He held his hand out which Baekhyun shook.

 

Baekhyun could feel his hand sweat. “So, what’s the diagnosis doc?” he asked and Doctor Song smiled reassuringly at him which made Baekhyun feel one hundred times better.

 

“He’s fine. From what I had been told he did fall from quite a height and landed on a ladder but the x-rays show that nothing’s broken. Bruised and sore but otherwise fine.” Baekhyun’s fear begins to recede and he sighs in relief. “We’ve given him a small dose of morphine which should wear off in around 20 minutes. He’ll be drowsy and maybe confused when he wakes up but when he’s coherent enough you’re free to take him home. I’ve got a prescription for some mild pain medication for him to take when he’s in too much pain and I recommend he stays home and relaxes for at least two weeks before heading back to work.”

 

“Thankyou doc.” Baekhyun thanks him.

 

“It was nothing, just doing my job. Now, make sure to take care of that man of yours. I can tell you’re going to have your hands full.” He gives Baekhyun a pat on the back before walking off.

 

“You have no idea.” Baekhyun mutters. He knows it’s going to be difficult to get Jongdae to rest.

 

Baekhyun sits by Jongdae’s side as he waits for him to wake up. Jongdae’s lips twitch and his brows furrow and that’s when he knows it’s not going to be long before his eyes open. Baekhyun runs his fingers through Jongdae’s hair, a gesture that had always comforted him. Jongdae groans as his eyes open and close as they try to adjust to the light.

 

“Hey baby.” Baekhyun whispers.

 

“Mm Baekhyun?” Jongdae mumbles.

 

“Yeah, it’s me. How are you feeling?”

 

“I feel like I’m on a cloud.” He slurs and Baekhyun can’t help the little chuckle that comes out of him.

 

“I’m sure you do.”

 

“Can we go home? I don’t like it here. It’s to white. Maybe I should paint the room or something, give it some colour.” He says, still slurring but it’s much more coherent than before.

 

“Soon. And no, you can’t paint the room. I don’t think the hospital would be very happy with that.”

 

“Okay.” Jongdae grumbles.

 

It takes thirty minutes for Jongdae to become nearly fully aware and then another to pick up his prescription before they finally leave the hospital. Baekhyun can tell the younger is in pain but knows that that residual morphine still in his system makes it not as prominent. He’ll take Jongdae home and help him to be before he goes to pick up his prescription from the pharmacy.

 

Jongdae would probably have fallen asleep on the ride home if his back didn’t continue to throb the entire way. Walking up the stairs to their bedroom hurt, even with Baekhyun’s help it was unavoidable. Baekhyun sat him on the bed and laid him on his side as he took off Jongdae’s shoes and pants, leaving him in only his boxers and shirt, pulling the covers over his body when he had finished.

 

“I’m going to go and get your meds and stop into work to get some time off. I’ll be back soon. Just rest for now.” He kisses Jongdae on the forehead. Jongdae nods and closes his eyes. He’s tired.

 

 

~X~

 

 

Baekhyun wants to tie Jongdae down to the bed so he doesn’t move.

 

He can feel his frustration building as he for the fourth time that day had to physically move Jongdae from his feet to the lounge.

 

“Jongdae please just rest. The doctor told you to take it easy and trying to do house work is not taking it easy.” He scolds the younger who frowns at him petulantly.

 

“Baek, I’m fine.”

 

“Just – just stay there and read or turn the television on or something. Let me handle everything.” Jongdae just crosses his arms and doesn’t answer but Baekhyun figures he’s gotten the message.

 

Except he shouldn’t have been so confident for not even an hour later he finds Jongdae chopping up the vegetables Baekhyun had set aside earlier for dinner. He sees as Jongdae periodically pauses to rub a hand on his lower back. Baekhyun can feel his eye twitch. Damn Jongdae for being so god damn stubborn.

 

He walks up to Jongdae and stands so close to him that he’s nearly pressed up against him and winds his arms around to the front to rest of Jongdae’s hands. Jongdae freezes knowing he’s been caught and knowing that Baekhyun wasn’t going to be happy with him at all. Despite his annoyance Baekhyun gently pries Jongdae’s hand off the knife and turns him around so they’re facing each other.

 

Jongdae purses his lips and almost can’t meet Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

“Jongdae.” It’s all Baekhyun really needs to say. “I’ve told you to relax and to leave everything to me.”

 

“I know.” Says Jongdae.

 

“Why is it so hard?”

 

“I just… I don’t like feeling useless. I don’t like sitting down and watching you do everything. That’s not me Baekhyun, you know that. How long have you known me for?”

 

“I know it’s hard for you Dae, I know that more than anyone. But you’re still in pain – don’t even try to deny it! I’ve seen you hiss when you move the wrong way and I’ve seen how you’ve been rubbing your back.” He lightly rests his hands on Jongdae’s hips who puts his own hands over them. “Please just give it a few more days until it doesn’t hurt every time you move.” He pleads and Baekhyun can see the struggle in his eyes.

 

“Okay.” He sighs and Baekhyun smiles.

 

“Hey, if you really want to help sit down at the table and I’ll give you some stuff to cut up while I do everything else, alright?”

 

“Okay.” Jongdae smiles, pecking Baekhyun on the lips.

 

“Make sure to put a pillow on your back as well.” He says.

 

“Yes mother.” Jongdae sasses and Baekhyun rolls his eyes.

 

“If you’re going to be like that I’ll call Liyin over to come and look after you.”

 

Jongdae widens his eyes in disbelief. “You wouldn’t!”

 

Baekhyun smiles in response. “You know very well that I would. You’re completely helpless when it comes to her. She’s a scary woman.”

 

“Mama will never let me leave the bed.” He comments and they both know it’s true. You can’t say no to Mama Kim, not ever. She could convince a brick wall to do anything she wanted with only a few words or the power of her stare.

 

“If you do want I tell you I won’t have to call her now will I?”

 

Jongdae scrunches up his nose. “I hate you.”

 

“You love me. You married me, didn’t you?” he walks away, turning his back to Jongdae and missing the younger poking his tongue out at him childishly but he can still feel it and he does the most mature thing he can do…

 

He turns around and gives it right back, the annoyed glare on his husbands face totally worth it.

 


Okay I'm just going to say that this chapter has not been edited at all. I almost forgot to post this so as soon as I've finished I'm going to bed. Prac's been great but it's tiring. I just want to sleep. Two more days and I'll be free for a little while before I have to finish my final assignments and then study for exams.

This is another spin off for Paint like Taken was. It's not part of the main story line but I would still consider these two canon. They would take place in between the yet to written prequel and Paint. Good news on that Prequel. I have a title that I like for it. Not going to tell you what it is just yet but just know that at least the title has been decided and I have a pretty good idea how it's going to look. I also have a few more stories planned and/or already started that I hope to finish and post before the end of the year as well as getting most of these requests written.

When I post next week I'll write a little bit more. It's been hard to try and keep away from writing to focus on prac but I've done it and I am actually quite proud of myself. Two more days to go and then I'm free! Wish me all luck and hope I survive my last days in one piece.

Have a good day everyone!

P.S. To those who have messaged me within the last couple of days, I'll reply to your messages tomorrow afternoon when I have some time.