Chapter Five

Soulmate

After school ended, Youngjae walked down the halls of her unnecessarily large school to the equally large library. According to a specific someone, who always makes her heaert beat at an inhumanly fast rate, she has to wait for him after basketball practice because of the times she ditch him for work. Why? Because today happens to be the day her managers all called her to inform her to not go to work since the people she helped took over their shifts are back from wherever the hell they went. And Daehyun happened to overheard all of those phone calls, so he made her stay until his practice is done.

Now as she walks into the library, she politely (who knew Youngjae has this side of her) greeted the librarian, an sweet old lady who always sports a grey little bun on her head, tied with a pink ribbon, who smiled back at her. Walking all the way to the back of the library, she took a seat at her spot. When she became a freshman at Dream Star High, she always visits the library whenever she doesn't feel like joining the class. And since Youngjae seems to be the only one that visits the library, because everyone else thinks this place is not "cool" enough for them, she claimed a special spot near the back of the library as her own. An area where a large floor window is placed, where it happens to be the best place to watch the sun set as she studys in there. She's read about almost every book in this library, except one section. The romance section.

To Youngjae, love doesn't exist after her parents passed. To her, love is stupid. Love makes you unhappy. Why? Because whatever amount of love she gave to her parents, that how much they took away when they died in that accident, which is all of her love. So now as she waited for Daehyun in the library, she began to wonder around, looking for new books that aren't in the romance section.

"Hey, sweetie," The librarian called out from the front. "You might want to check the historical fiction's section. I think a new book just came in." And because her feet has a mind of its own, it lead her to the three rows of shelves that contains historical fiction books, as she quietly shouted a 'thank you' to the front. She doesn't need to be loud only because there's not many people in the library to begin with. Plus, the librarian loves her, so it was a win-win situation for her.

"Read that," Youngjae pointed out as she scans the shelves. "Read that too. This one. That one. And another. And- Oh!" Youngjae's eyes zoomed in on a particular book. Taking it out from the shelf, Youngjae examines the new looking book.

Although it's a hard covered book, it did't have a plastic cover on it. With a navy blue background color and gold letters, Youngjae ran her fingers across the fore edge of the book.

'It's a new book.' Youngjae thought as she turns the book to the front cover. 'The Long Song. An English book?' Flipping the book open to the first page, Youngjae was glad that this isn't an English book. 'An English book translated into Korean. Thank god. I wasn't about to read in a language that I can't read in.'

Turning around, Youngjae began to walk back to her spot as she read the first page. Interested, she began to read on to the next page, where the next page turned into chapters. Half way into the fourth chapter, she smiled to herself for picking this book out.

"Thank you, Mrs. Choi!" She yelled once more towards the front, hoping the old woman can hear her before she turned back to the book.

~*~*~*~

'Yah.' Youngjae groaned a little before snuggling into her pillow more. 'Yah!'

"Five more minutes." Youngjae whined, eyebows turned into a frown. Hearing whoever tried to wake her up sigh, Youngjae herself sighed in satisfaction before burying herself deeper into her warm and soft pillow.

'Wait...A warm pillow?' The thought came through Youngjae's mind. 'My pillows aren't warm. Nor are they soft. And I'm in the library.' Bringing her hand up to feel her so called pillow, she began to realise something.

'This feels oddly like a human's lips.' Going up higher,Youngjae landed on something bumpy. 'This is a nose... An eye? And an eyebrow...?' And that's when Youngjae jumped awake, but in the process, she bumped her head against something.

"Ow..." She hissed, rubbing the sleep away from her eyes.

"Gee. Thanks for hitting me when I kindly offered you a more comfortable pillow than compared to a book."

"JB?" Looking up and to the side, Youngjae realized her guess was correct.

Sitting next to her, is their school's ever so famous, chic and y student counsel president, looking down at her with his famous cat-like eyes as he rubbed at his abused chin that Youngjae realized was what she bumped into when she jolted awake.

"The last time I checked, I'm older than you, so you're suppose to add 'oppa' at the end of my name. Manner, Youngjae-ssi." He confirmed her guess.

"Just because you're older than me, doesn't mean anything." Youngjae said, sitting up and stretched.

Looking at her watch, she noticed that it's 5 o'clock now, and Daehyun's practice ends an hour later. Groaning, she leaned forward, resting her head against the table. Upon seeing this, JB chuckled.

"What are you doing here anyways?"

"I'm waiting for Daehyun to finish his soccer practice, because according to him, 'You ditched me the last time for work, and since you don't have work today, we can hang out after practice.'" Youngjae imitated Daehyun's voice with his busan accent, making JB laugh again. "What's so funny?"

"You two are like the complete opposite. How did you guys even get close?"

"He tried to steal my favorite bread and I was being hunted down by my friend soon afterwards. I hid behind him when my friend appoarched us." Youngjae replied, chuckling when she thought back to that day. Yet, she missed the expression that JB made.

Was it hurt? Was it sadness? Or was it perhaps, regret?

"Hyung." A voice was heard, JB quickly replaced his mood with his normal, relaxed face before the two turned around to see who it is.

"Ah, Youngjae! Glad you made it." JB smiled and the girl turned to him and then back to the new face. "Come sit." JB patted the seat in front of himself and Youngjae.

"Your name is Youngjae? That's great." And she almost wanted to laugh at the confusion on the new kid's face as he sat down.

"What do you mean by that, seonbae?" The newly addition to the library asked, head crooked sideways.

Being the only other person that's witnessing this, JB bursted out laughing. "Oh my god! There's two Youngjaes in front of my eyes. This is great!" The other male's confusion turned worst, which is when the junior decisided to speak up.

"My name is Yoo Youngjae. Nice to meet you." Youngjae greeted, offering the freshman a quick nod of achknowledgment.

"Ah! I'm Choi Youngjae. I'm a freshman, and I came from Mokpo. Please take care of me." Youngjae bowed in a respectful way.

Youngjae looked at the little freshman and frowned. Have you not heard of me yet? That's new. Normally people who are new would have already heard of me. Other than that weird giant who didn't care about what she heard of me. And Daehyun. But I don't know if he heard anything, or just didn't care. She thought for a moment before she mentally snorted. He probably stayed clueless while those people were spreading words around about me like the guy he is. The thought of her friend made her smile a little, yet was taken into notice from JB.

"What got you smiling there?"

"Nothing. Just someone. Anyways, have you not heard of me yet, Choi?" Youngjae asked, crossing her arms as she stares at the boy in front of her.

Thinking to himself, Youngjae thought back to the many things he had heards since today. Yet not one thing has stood out to him, causing him to shake his head 'no'. "Should I have heard something about you, seonbae?"

Shaking her head, she decided to change the subject of their current conversation to asking how Youngjae's first day had been.


It wasn't until JB announced what the time is, that Youngjae remembered that she's suppose to meet up with Daehyun 3 minutes ago. 

"Why couldn't you have told me earlier?!" Youngjae exclaimed, franticly tossing everything in her backpack.

"You looked like you're engrossed in the conversation with Youngjae, I didn't want to interrupt you two. Plus, Daehyun can wait a little." JB replied, handing her her book that she was reading beforing falling asleep.

Sighing in annoyance, Youngjae zippped up her backpack and waved a quick good-bye before speed walking out . But she turned around again and walked towards Youngjae, who- again- looked confused. With one hand spporting her weight, Youngjae leaned acrossed the table and stopped about a feet away from his face.

"Whatever you hear about me in the next couple of days or weeks, believe it. Whatever you think of me as of right now, forget it. It would only cause you trouble if you try to rebutt what they say." She said in a hushed voice so JB wouldn't hear. It's not that she doesn't want him to hear, but rather, she's seen enough to know that he would try and do something like standing up for her in those situations. Luckily, the students know better than gossping about other people when their student counsel president is strolling around the halls. "Say nothing to JB, okay?"

With nothing to say to the sudden warning that she gave him, Youngjae has no choice but to nod. Smiling, Youngjae pushed herself away and began to speed walk again, waving behind her as she goes.

"What has that all about?" JB asked curiously once Youngjae was gone.

"Nothing, hyung. Let's go eat. I'm hungry." Youngjae said, picking up his backpack from the ground and slung it around his shoulder, walking away.

JB quickly follow suit and tried to talk him into telling him that the junior had just told him, but Youngjae doesn't give in.

"We're suppose to meet up with Mark hyung, Jinyoung noona, and Bambam to go eat ddeokbokki, remember? I bet they're waiting for us at the gates."

~*~*~

When Youngjae go to where Daehyun told her to meet him, he was no where in sight. Taking out her phone from her backpack, she turned it on and saw no text messages from the boy she's waiting for. Sighing, Youngjae decided to sent him a text when a weight fall on the top of her head. A familiar cologne went was registers in Youngjae's sense of smell before she could even see who it is, and she doesn't need to look up to check. Base off of her heart beat, Youngjae already knew who it is.

"You know. When I said that to meet up at 5, and you show up late, it always makes me think that you ditched me. I almost went around the school to look for you, too."

"You could have just texted," Youngjae stated out the obvious. "And quit leaning on me, Jung. Your arms are heavy as hell." The boy chuckled and stepped back, letting Youngjae turn to talk to him properly.

But upon the sight of Daehyun cause Youngjae to turn back around, hiding her face behind her hands, and 50 shades of red eruptted to her face.

"WHY THE HELL IS YOUR SHIRT NOT BUTTONED UP ALL THE WAY, JUNG DAEHYUN?!"

"Wha- ." Daehyun crused under his breath when he looked down to find that his shirt was, indeed, not buttoned up all the way. Scrambbling to button up his shirt, Daehyun felt himself blush in embarrassment.

"You can turn around again. Sorry about that." Daehyun said, rubbing the back of his neck as Youngjae turned back again to face him. But there was this warm feeling in his chest when he saw that the blush on Youngjae's face still hasn't faded.

"W-where do you want to go now?" Youngjae asked, changing the subject, looking everywhere else but the senior.

"I don't know. What do you feel like doing?"

"I thought you would have this part figured out when you asked me to hang out with you, Dae." Youngjae frowned and Daehyun gulped before telling her the truth.

"You know. I didn't exactly figure that out yet," Daehyun nervously said, but upon seeing the flame that's coming to her eyes, Daehyun quickly continued. "But let's just go first and then we can figure it out as we go, yeah?"

Giving him her deadliest glare, Youngjae thought of a million ways to murder him, but sighed. Not like I have anything better to do. "If you don't figure anything out, I'll murder you."

Grinning, Daehyun picked his bags up from the floor and gently pushed Youngjae out of the school, heading to the train station.

If anyone where to see the two of them, they would think that they looked like a couple that have been married for five years. Bickering here and there, Daehyun teasing Youngjae and getting hit by her, and laughing at little things that they come across on their way to the station. But the one thing that made strangers infer that their dating is the fact that during their little walk, Daehyun had given Youngjae his scarf.

"You're gonna freeze to death by the time we get to the station." Daehyun scolded Youngjae has he unwraps his scraf upon seeing Youngjae shiver now and then during their walk.

When Youngjae was about to make a comment, the cruel and heartless wind blew and made Youngjae close the second she opened it. Laughing, Daehyun quickly wrapped it around her neck (and around her face just to annoy her) and they continued to walk. But not before Daehyun earned himself a fresh bruise on his arm despite the padding he had from his jacket. Youngjae, on the other hand, fixed the scarf to be wrapped only around her neck. And that was what a little old lady commented on when she crossed path with the two teens.

"You two look cute together." But to her disappointment, the two quickly denied and laughed it off. The two continued their way to the train station.

"So where are you planning on going?" Youngjae asked as the two stopped before an unoccupied ticket machine and glanced at the map above their heads.

"Hm," Daehyun hummed as he looked at the map and quickly thought about things that they can do at each city. "Shopping?"

"Don't care. Just get me a place with a heater." Youngjae replied, hidding in his scarf from the cold.

"Alright, Jae. Let's get you a heater." Daehyun chuckled, and got the tickets before pushing her to the train's platform.

Once the two got onto the train, they quickly found seats that are available and sat down, sighing in content upon feeling the heater blown into their faces.

"Bless the heater." Youngjae commented, sinking into her seat.

Next to her, Daehyun laughed. After two stops, the two noticed an elderly couple boarded, yet there was no more seats and the people around doesn't seem to want to get up. Seeing how the older man is also using a walker, without thinking, Youngjae stood up and called out to the two.

"Harabeoji, take my seat." Youngjae said and walked to the aisle, holding onto the medal poles overhead to balance herself.

"Halmeoni, take my seat, too." Daehyun quickly stood up and helped the two walk over to the seats.

"Thank you, you two. You guys are really kind." The woman said, patting Daehyun on his .

Youngjae wanted to laugh, but the woman patted her face with a bright smile on her face. It surprised Youngjae, since no one has ever done that to her after her grandma passed away when she was three. Nevertheless, Youngjae returned her smile and made her way to stand closer to the door.

"Never took you as a person who would give up their seat for an elderly person." Daehyun , but Youngjae didn't take the tease well.

"If you have a heart, you would. Especially when that man has trouble standing and walking, or else he wouldn't be using a walker." Youngjae frowned and looked back at the couple.

The man smiled brightly at his wife as he takes her hand into his own. The woman returned his smile and gave him a little kiss on his cheek. The man whispered something into her ears and despite their old age, the man still seem to have an affection on her, for her cheeks tinted with pink. They look like they have been in love for a long time and are still falling in love with each other over and over again. The bright and shining wedding rings on each of their left hand proved that they treasure each other very much, even their wedding ring. Looking away, Youngjae heart ached with pain.

Would my parents have done the same once their grow old and are still hopelessly in love with each other? What would they have said about what I did when I get home if they're still alive?

Looking down at her feet, Youngjae fought the tears that are threatening to fall. Daehyun knew something had caused her mood to change, because when he gently took her hand into his own, the tough and independent girl, who never really liked skinship, didn't pull her hand away. And it was not because of his comment earlier. He continued to hold her hand even after they have arrived at their station and made their way to their destination.

~*~*~

I'M SORRY! Please don't kill me for going MIA for a long time. School started and gosh, I never thought my junior year would be so stressful. The homework load is beyond my imagination. Lord help me.

But anyways, I probably will go MIA again for another month or so and won't update until probably during my winter break.

Nevertheless, please continue to show your love to Daejae as they progress into developing their relationship with each other and hopefully by the next two or three chapters, they will realize their love for each other and turn into a coupple. We'll see. Also, please continue to show your love to this story. The plot is crappy, but I'm slowly getting there.

Please continue to comment your thoughts and share this with people. Also, comment on your thoughts on how long you want this story to be. I, myself, is thinking about 15 chapters, but I want to know your opinions. As always, thank you for reading!