Chapter Three

Soulmate

School was normal. Everything was great. Yet there's one thing that's bothering Youngjae.

"Why are you following me?" Youngjae asked, not bothering to glance back.

"No reason." JB replied, shrugging.

"Youngjae, aren't you going to do something about this?" Zelo whispered to her.

Youngjae looked at her friend, looked back at the student councle president that has been following her for the whole day, and then to her surroundings.

"Are they dating?"

"NO WAY! Prez and Youngjae? I can't see it."

"Why is Prez following Yoo Youngjae? Does the Prez not know how scary Youngjae is?"

Rolling her eyes, Youngjae let out a sigh of annoyance before turning around to face JB.

"Look, if this is about last night, then I believe I already told you that I was thankful of you helping me out. And believe me, I am more than cable of getting myself out of that situation. Also, there's no need of you following me," Youngjae said, realizing that she had caused a scene. Those around stopped what they are doing and looked towards her direction. She also saw how people are beginning to whisper among themselves again so Youngjae decided to finish what she planned on telling the boy in front of her. "So please, leave me alone." Youngjae said in her calmest voice before turning around, pulling Zelo away.

"That's probably the most you have said to someone that is not me, Himchan unnie, Kihyun oppa, or Shownu oppa." Zelo made a comment, earning her a slap upside her head from Youngjae.

"Shut it." Youngjae galred at her before walking ahead. Zelo laughed and followed her friend.

Back at where Youngjae and Zelo left JB standing in the hallway alone, the crowd that they had made started to leave and JB still stands in the middle of the corridor, looking at the disappearing backs of the two girls. A hand tapped JB on his shoulder.

"Prez, are you okay?" JB turned to see his friend, Mark.

"Ah, hyung! You saw that?" JB asked, scratching the back of his neck.

"I'm pretty sure everyone did. Come on, we have a new kid to greet in the student councle room, and because I left Jinyoung back in there alone with Bambam and Yugyeom." Mark replied before the two began to walk back to the student councle room.

~*~*~*~

Normally, Youngjae would never be late to school at any given time of the year. But it seems like Himchan's alarm had done her wrong this morning, which caused her to be late to school. Arrive at school, it seems like luck was on her side since her first class is silent study. As she ran to her class, she accidentally bumped into someone, someone's chest to be exact, and landed on the ground.

"Ow..." Youngjae whinced, rubbing her that hit the ground first. Looking up, she glared up at the person. But then there was a tugging feeling in her heart when she saw the guy. It was the same tug that she felt when she saw the student council president on the opening day of school. However, it felt as if the tug this time was stronger.

"I'm terribly sorry, are you okay, uh–" Looking at her name tag, the person smiled when he found out her name. "Youngjae ssi?"

"I'm perfectly fine." Youngjae glared despite the tugging feeling in her heart.

"Again, I'm really sorry. My name is Jung Daehyun, by the way. I'm from year 4 class 1." Daehyun introduced himself.

"Aren't you gonna help me up, Daehyun ssi? Normally, people help the person they bumped into up first before they introduce themself." Youngjae asked, rolling her eyes at his introduction.

Realizing that she was still on the ground, Daehyun laughed embarrassily as he reached out his hand for Youngjae to take. Once she was helped up, she brushed herself off before looking back up at Daehyun. "Well, I'm Yoo Youngjae, year 3 class 1." Holding out her hand for him to shake.

Maybe it was just Youngjae, but the second Daehyun held her hand, it felt as if Daehyun's hand was fire and her hand was ice. The handshake lasted not even a second and Youngjae pulled her hand away. "It was nice seeing you, Daehyun ssi. Have a nice day." Was all Youngjae said before walking away.

"Sorry for bumping into you again!" Daehyun shouted behind her.

~*~*~*~

"Where have you been?" Zelo asked once Youngjae sat down in her seat behind her.

"Home? Why else would I be late?" Youngjae replied, raising an eyebrow at her friend before taking out her book and started her silent study.

"Oh. Well, did Himchan unnie tell you how she's coming back this summer?" Youngjae looked up from her book and frowned.

"No. She didn't tell me." It was Zelo's turn to raise an eyebrow at her.

"Did you check your phone at all this morning?"

It took Youngjae a second before reaching for her phone from her backpack and turned it on. The moment the screen lit up, Youngjae grimced at the amount of messages and missed calls she got from Himchan. "Urg."

Zelo laughed and rested her elbow on Youngjae's desk to support her chin. "Too much messages?"

"WAY~ too much. Even Kihyun oppa doesn't call/ message me this much." Youngjae replied, slamming her head down on her desk.

"There, there." Zelo laughed, patting her as the next class began.

Soon enough, lunch time rolled by and Youngjae was more than ready to dash out of the class once the bell rings, and that was exactly what she did while the teacher yells after her and her classmates laughing. But you can't blame her, her favorite curry bread is on sale today and the lunch lady promised to save one for her. When she got to the cafeteria though, she mentally screamed upon seeing how much people is already inside. Squeezing her way through, she finally got to where her favorite bread is located, which was the only one left in the basket, but right when she grabbed it, another hand also appeared and grabbed onto her wrist.

"I suggest you let go or else you're going to end up six feet under this school." Youngjae threatened, but the other person chuckled. Looking up, Youngjae realized that the person was Daehyun.

"Didn't know I'll see you here, Youngjae ssi." Daehyun smiled, yet not letting go of her wrist.

"Me neither, but I want my bread, so if you could let go, I would gladly appreciate it." Youngjae replied, glaring at the older boy.

"No can do, m'lady. That bread happens to be my favorite. If anyone needs to let go, it'd be you." Daehyun smirked at her, and the two began to have a stare down. The two didn't brake their eye contact until...

"Yoo Youngjae!" Youngjae heard Kihyun's voice coming closer and closer. Startled, she dropped the bread, which Daehyun quickly grabbed, turned Daehyun around and hid behind him. Daehyun wanted to laugh, but one look from Youngjae caused him to hold the laughter in. Once Kihyun got to the two, he smiled at the boy.

"Hey, Dae. Have you seen a girl with long brown hair, pale skin with a really short temper walking around?" He asked and Daehyun shook his head.

"No, hyung. I haven't." Actually, I have. "Maybe try her class?" Daehyun suggested, and the senior sighed. Or behind me, but I'd rather not die.

"I have, but she's not in there. Maybe I'll go try the library. This girl... Thanks for helping!" Kihyun smiled once again and left. Turning around, Daehyun sighed.

"You know, lying is not my favorite thing to do. Especially towards a boy whose boyfriend is my basketball captain." But instead of listening to Daehyun, Youngjae began to walk away from the bread and pastry section, heading towards the other exit of the cafeteria.

After walking for a couple steps, Youngjae noticed that the junior boy isn't walking behind her anymore, which caused her to turn around to look at him. "Are you coming or what?" She asked and Daehyun gave her a confused face. "You're the only one that's seen me. If I actually left you free, who knows if you would go and tell Kihyun oppa my whereabouts."

~*~*~

"Where'd you find this place?" Daehyun asked as he looked around at the place Youngjae brought him to.

"I ditched about half of my class this one day because I got pissed off at my first period's teacher, so I decided to walk around the school. Our janitor found me and he brought me to this garden that appearantly no one comes to. And now, this place has became my favorite place. Even Zelo nor Kihyun has been here, consider yourself lucky, Jung." Youngjae replied, walking over to her favorite place in this whole garden and sat down on the wooden bench right below the huge oak tree. "The janitor told me that this tree has not shedded ever since it had been planted. You know why?" Youngjae asked, looking at Daehyun when he walked towards her.

"Why?"

"Because when this tree was planted, the planter was in love with this girl in his school. When the two fell in love, they made a promise to the tree that they would help other people find theirs so that everyone could be happy. They got married and had two kids. It was like a happily ever after for the couple," Youngjae paused to check for any reaction from the boy she is with. When she saw there wasn't any, she continued on with the story.

"But due to an unforeseen illness, he was unable to carry on with their promise, so before he had passed away, he asked his soulmate to spread his ash on the ground of this tree so that everytime she sees the tree, it would remind her of him. And that she would continue on with the promise to the tree. Unfortunately, after carrying on this promise for around 20 some years, she also passed and her ash was also buried with this tree. This promise was carried on by their children and through their generation and until now, that promise has not been broken in anyway."

"And what happens if the promise is broken?" Daehyun asked, looking up at the tree leaves.

"The leaves will fall and the whole soulmate thing will break."

"So basically, the two of them are the creator of the soulmate system?"

"Yup."

The two stayed silent for while before Daehyun broke the silence with a question that caught Youngjae off guard. "Do you believe in such thing as a happy ending?"

Blinking a couple of times, Youngjae thought about that question deeply before replying. "No. I don't. There's no such thing as a happy ending in my life. Not anymore."


Okay. Before anyone tries to hunt me down and kill me for updating this late, I just really want to say sorry. I've been busy once school ending with my part time job and I just didn't have the time to come onto AFF. Honestly though, if AFF could be made into an app, it would be awesome and it would also make updating much more easier. But anyways, sorry for a pretty short update. I'll really try to update this story as much as I can and as on time as I could. Please enjoy this chapter and love this story. Comment anything you think I should edit and I'll try my best to go back to those mistakes. Thank you guys so much for actually noticing my fanfic and reading it. Here's a picture of my favorite maknae (even though he's five years older than me) making a heart for me to ask for forgiveness from all of you. Love you!! -Christine 

Related image