Sweet Talker

Nothing But Sucrose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene plops into the chair with a heavy sigh, pouting at the person in front of her. She's just told her friend about the lack of romance in her life as of late. “What about that prosecutor you went on a date with?” Irene rolls her eyes just thinking about the man with whitened teeth and slicked back hair.

 

“Do you know what he said to me on the phone?” Solar tilts her head and doesn't have to ask before Irene tells her. “Your eyes shine like a thousand suns.”

 

“As in…”

 

“Yes as if I'm Superman or Cyclops and can shoot laser beams out of my eyes.” Solar bursts into a fit of laughter at the thought, imagining an angry Irene shooting her offenders with a blazing red beam of light.

 

The raven haired woman breaks into a smile too, but is mindful of the cafe's ambiance that is clearly broken because of her friend's cackling. After throwing a few looks of apologies around, Joohyun ponders back to the line of suitors that she has been going down one by one, and can't bring herself to say that she enjoys the presence of any of them. Some are too arrogant or selfish, and most are just trying to get into her pants.

 

She sighs and takes a sip of the coffee in her hand—too bitter.

 

Solar’s wiping a tear out of her eye and then she's back to a chuckle, seeing the glum expression Irene’s wearing. “Ah you're so depressing.” She tears open a packet of sugar and reaches over to pour it into the steaming mug.

 

Well, she tries.

 

Solar accidentally ends up spilling it on the table and Irene’s lap instead, earning a glare from the other. She struggles to contain a laugh, grateful she's not being disintegrated at the moment. “And you're a whole mess.” irene abruptly stands up to grab napkins and unintentionally kicks the chair back a little bit too far when she hears a tiny yelp of pain behind her.

 

She turns around and immediately apologizes, slightly bowing her head. “I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there.” There's worry tracing itself onto her face when she doesn't get a reply from the young lady who slowly stops rubbing the irritated ankle that Irene must’ve hit. Irene takes this moment to study the figure in front of her.

 

Her victim has dark brown strands of hair tied into a bun, round specs framing a pretty face, and a pair of almond eyes that remind her of a fox. She focuses her attention on the pink lips that are moving now, finding them a bit entrancing. "You're fine. I should've been paying attention.” The stranger stands up straight, and now Irene has to look up at the brunette.

 

There's a soothing voice that replaces the grunt of pain Irene initially heard and she wants to pinch herself for swooning over the charming smile in front of her. A hand is outstretched and she doesn't notice until there's a familiar sounding cough behind her, prompting her to settle her gaze on slim fingers instead of plump lips.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter